Dylan

Happy to be here

Hello Everyone,

I'm Dylan from East El Cajon. Well after a LONG 16 year break I am back to a dirt riding. I used to ride two strokes all over the place in the desert, and have really wanted to get back. Mostly McCain Valley and Ocotillo. Recently we have been going with friends to Ocotillo, Gordons, Plaster City and Glamis, and it really rekindled my love for the scene.

5 years ago a friend and I restored a 70s BMW R60 and had a blast, but I had more fun working on it than actually riding it. I was casually looking for a XR600, XR650L, and DRZ400s when I ran across a really nice XR250L from a friend of a friend. Great bike so far, and perfect for the occasional street ride.

I think I have convinced a friend to get a small dual sport like mine, but in the meantime I only have friends with Harleys. So if anyone wants to ride Pine Valley, McCain or elsewhere I would love to tag along!

Thanks for your time!

Welcome! Keep an eye on the casual rides forum, people are going out there all the time now that it's in season. :)

Welcome Dylan. The first thing you need to do is Post a photo of your bike! Gotta be proud of your moto here. So, you are riding that 250 in the Dunes??

Bagstr

I don't plan on riding this bike in the dunes. It's a great bike but too little HP for the sand.

Here's an obligatory driveway pic:

IMG_5301.jpg

Gonna be a good season to get back into have fun, welcome aboard

Welcome! Don't hesitate to post up a ride yourself, some (like me) just need a push off of the couch to get out there. Plenty of trails to see on that bike.

Welcome! That's a fun bike that brings smiles :)

Thanks for the warm welcome. Initial plans are morning Saturday for Ocotillo with a friend and his Banshee....

Welcome aboard.

On the occasional group ridesthat some of the SDAR folks put together, you'll see a diverse type of bikes. Your 250 will fit right in.

We'll see you out on the trail.

Welcome to the forum, have fun Saturday, say hello to the bartender at the Lazy Lizard for me.

Alright, so my plans changed this weekend. My friend is more of wanting to do Glamis, which means I am uninterested. I am down to do a ride Sunday late morning/afternoon if anyone needs a trailer. I'm experienced and have ridden this bike a couple hundred miles, but it's been a long time since I went charging in the desert. I have hit fire roads and a few rough sections on this bike, but I'm still learning how to drive this bike efficiently. Much different than when I've hit the outdoor supercross tracks on my 2 stroke.

First question I have is gear. I pulled out all my old stuff I had from 16 years ago. My Jersey, riding pants, chest protector and helmet are all still in really good condition, My boots and gloves are MIA, but I'm going to replace those soon. Is this still ample protection, or is there something new and improved out there? I don't want to look/feel like I just fell out of the Delorean.... Or maybe Time Rider is more relevant.

Thanks!

Alright, so my plans changed this weekend. My friend is more of wanting to do Glamis, which means I am uninterested. I am down to do a ride Sunday late morning/afternoon if anyone needs a trailer. I'm experienced and have ridden this bike a couple hundred miles, but it's been a long time since I went charging in the desert. I have hit fire roads and a few rough sections on this bike, but I'm still learning how to drive this bike efficiently. Much different than when I've hit the outdoor supercross tracks on my 2 stroke.

First question I have is gear. I pulled out all my old stuff I had from 16 years ago. My Jersey, riding pants, chest protector and helmet are all still in really good condition, My boots and gloves are MIA, but I'm going to replace those soon. Is this still ample protection, or is there something new and improved out there? I don't want to look/feel like I just fell out of the Delorean.... Or maybe Time Rider is more relevant.

Thanks!

Helmets age... really consider a newer one; they are much better than they used to be

if you're talking fashion: retro is always cool... don't sweat that part of the equation.

I actually wear gloves from Home Depot and Harbor Freight... good protection (except knuckles), cheap, and throw them away when they start to wear out.

Boots... first and foremost; do they fit and offer protection... and hopefully they're not white... seriously; who even DOES that? $100 boots feel more comfortable out of the box, but they wear faster and don't offer the protection you really want.

I ran up to Cycle Gear Saturday and emptied my wallet on some new gear. I'm still debating boots. A friend tells me he has "white" Alpinestars in size 11 I can come get for free, so I may be going that direction :bigeyed:

I'm still debating boots. A friend tells me he has "white" Alpinestars:

If you're riding right, they won't be white for long.

Ok...shrug...free white is better than crappy boots in an appropriate color. If they fit, take them, and don't ever wash them; the "white" will fade to a proper moto-color.

I'm still debating boots. A friend tells me he has "white" Alpinestars:

If you're riding right, they won't be white for long.

I would have bought your boots Dan, but looks like everything is taken already!

Picked up some Tech 8's off craigslist instead of looting my buddy.

So my friend wants to go to Glamis this weekend with his RZRs, and I kinda want to bring the bike to screw around with at camp. I know I'm not going duning with it, Is it worth picking up a paddle tire for it? I have the DOT dual sport tires on it now and I can imagine they will leave something to be desired out there. Should I even bother?

If you're not headed into the dunes, you'll be fine. Not worth the expense and effort to swap, imo. DOT or not, if they're knobbies you'll be able to get around.

So I'm headed out soon for Glamis (ehh) and will be on Gecko Road at the end probably. If anyone is out and sees the bike, stop by for a beer! White Tundra with a Mastercraft sticker on the back. Will be with a blue 2 seater Rzr 1000.

Welcome to the forum, im a new dirt rider and i take my klr on trails and fire roads regularly and im always looking for riding partners, message me or call/text if you want to ride.

Dave Moore

773-220-5061