Desertrunner

Beginner Trails in Anza Borrego

I'm not very familiar with the street legal trails in the state park. I'm looking for trails that a beginner can ride and learn on, i.e. two track, smalls hills. Anyone have suggestions on specific trails?

Check out Blair Valley. Nice little loop not too far way off S2. Some sandy sections but not too difficult, your going to need to get sand experience anyway. The Palm Spring area is nice to check out as well, it's the end part of last years Desert Dash. Get a map, Butterfield Ranch has good ones.

I was just out 4x4 in all around the mud caves using a map from past Desert Dash. When to the drop off, Palm spring. I think all this area would be great for novice ride.

Hood area if your around blair valley do pinion mountain road out to the squeeze and ledges really fun 2 track with some samd mixed in

Little Blair Valley has some fun easy trails. In that area everything has to be street legal and is rabidly enforced by one of the rangers - unless he's retired by now. Watch speeding near camps and any off trail riding.

When in the Blair Valley area, the first few miles of the Pinyon Mountain trail are also fun. Then things get interesting . . .

You'll probably know know when it's time to turn around, but just in case, when you get to a large bolder patch that's where you would turn around. See the end of Part 2 video below.

After the bolder patch you have to pass through the Squeeze, which is one way for some folks, and next up is Heart Attack Hill, also one way for most. See last video.

Pinyon Mountain Rd S2 to the Squeeze Part 1: https://youtu.be/ofNsd3d3WOo

Pinyon Mountain Rd "" "" Part 2: https://youtu.be/Zz01nu-SnTo

Pinyon Mountain Rd Squeeze to bottom of Heart Attack Hill (Pinyon Mt. Drop-off): https://youtu.be/lQzTgUQBuD0

Once you get to the bottom of Heart Attack Hill, it isn't too hard the rest of the way back to Fish Creek wash as I recall, but it is quite a haul back to the starting point (77 miles round trip per my track log) so make sure you have plenty of fuel.

There's a great book called "Guide to Southern California Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails Guide Book"

by Charles A. Wells https://www.trails.com/catalog_product.aspx?productfamilyid=10496

This book has a lot of fun trails along with GPS reference points.

If you're open to a mix of pavement and dirt you might want to tour the steel sculptures on either side of Christmas Tree circle in Borrego Springs......adds a bit of fun/photos/field trip into the mix

http://www.desertusa.com/borrego/bs-art.html

Thimble Trail and Old Borrego Springs Road are also both near Borrego Springs/easy dirt

There are a bunch of great options farther south down the S-2. Vallecito Wash up to Arroyo Tapiado and the mud caves is very beginner friendly and interesting, from there you can backtrack along Vallecito Wash (or take Arroyo Seco Del Diablo if you're up for a little more difficulty) down to Canyon Sin Nombre. Dolomite Mine's beginner friendly, and so is the Dos Cabezas area west on Mortero Wash.

Grapevine/Jasper/Culp is lots of fun and beautiful, although if you are a true beginner it may be a bit much. Lower Coyote Canyon is very beginner friendly except for a boulder field (it's much easier on the way down). The western leg of Carrizo Canyon is fun if you want to try out some rockier terrain. All of these are n00b tested and approved; I've taken a lot of new riders out to Anza-Borrego and they've all returned more or less in one piece.

I'm not very familiar with the street legal trails in the state park. I'm looking for trails that a beginner can ride and learn on, i.e. two track, smalls hills. Anyone have suggestions on specific trails?

If you want some company I'd be happy to show you some easy stuff.

My favorite is Split Mountain - some good sand practice and very cool geology. The first bit of Coyote Canyon is good. Font's Point - again, sand practice. Miner's is very easy, there's a trail that parallels the road going from the Calcite Mines back towards Borrego Springs (I'd have to look up the name - Truck trail something).

The first bit of Pinyon Mountain can be extremely deep sand, uphill. Depends on the year.

All trail conditions depend on the year.

If you go to the visitor's center there is a board listing the road and conditions. They also have some great trail guides to the area.

Watch it on the gas, if you head down to Split Mountain (near Ocotillo Wells OHV area) there is not a gas station (even though some maps will tell you otherwise).

Tom Harrison Maps - San Diego Back Country

ALL THE TRAILS in Anza Borrego Desert State Park are Dot Street legal plated bikes only. Mirrors, horn even tires if they get picky. There is NO off-trail motorized travel except for the OHV Park on Hwy 78 and Split Mtn Rd. 500 miles of two track in the park!

Blair Valley = Yes Pinion Canyon to the Squeeze is Not a beginner route.

I Suggest the OHV Park and head north and west on San Felipe Wash. That way if you get in Too Deep, it is a flat turn around.

I will be in town in November and glad to show you around some. Can you get away during the week or is it weekends only?

Also, down south off the I-8 just east of Ocotillo, you can park off Old Hwy 8 and run north to the Coyote Mtn area on gravel road, then venture out if comfortable.

See You Out There

Wow, thank you guys, lots of good info here. I'm looking for easier trails so I can bring my girlfriemd too. She's new, but starting to really take a likimg to the dualsport scene. I figure exploring some areas new to both of us will be fun.

She's in school, so it's going to be a few more weeks before the semester's over and we can plan a trip. I'll post here when we go if anyone wants to tag along that doesn't mind being a little patient.

I second what Winty said... if WInty says it's beginner friendly it is... and I also agree with the Blair Valley option...

I do not agree with anything to do with Pinyon Canyon/Mountain squeeze/ledges... That is in no way a "Beginner" route. It is a ONE WAY trail.

I think anyone that would mention Pinyon mountain and Beginner in the same sentence needs to re-calibrate your personal ride difficulty meter...

Good luck out there... have a safe ride...

I'm looking for easier trails so I can bring my girlfriemd too. She's new, but starting to really take a likimg to the dualsport scene. I figure exploring some areas new to both of us will be fun.

I'd really consider the tour of the sculptures if you're bringing your gal pal......

http://www.galletameadows.com/

Pinyon mountain trail is actually pretty easy up to the first set of boulders, which is where I said to turn around.

Further, I posted several videos (not my own video) so that potential riders could have a look and gauge the level for themselves. I did also say, for most people it is a one way trail after the squeeze and certainly after Heart Attack hill, though I do know people who've ridden back up it.

The level of difficulty in the first few miles of the Pinyon Mt trail is not much different from many of the other trails in the Little Blair Valley. The only potentially troublesome areas in the first few miles off of S2 is deep sand, but even that varies and can be pretty good following a recent rain. And really, encountering a few sandy spots on that trail is something that one should expect on any of the wash trails in the area.

It is a nice ride with some good scenery along the way.

Pinyon gets some deep ruts, to the point where sections of the trail take on a V shape and require switching sides. The sides of the trail are often a bit overgrown, and there are some steep ascents and descents even outside of the squeeze/ledges/heart attack. Throw in some cholla and I'd be hesitant to take a brand new rider up.

Pinyon mountain trail is actually pretty easy up to the first set of boulders, which is where I said to turn around

I agree with everything you said... except turn around. It is designated a one way trail by the park. You are not suppose to turn around. It isn't one way because of skill or lack thereof, it's how the route is designated.

Sending someone looking for a beginner ride with their significant other back up a one way trail isn't safe.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/638/files/ABDSPmap.pdf

http://www.desertusa.com/anza_borrego/du_absp_4x4.html

I think Chris had a great plan in the "Sculpture Ride" idea.

7. Pinyon Mountain

Starting at Pinyon mountain at about 4000 feet, you will see the incredible diversity of this area as you work your way down to sea level. The 28-mile route down toward Split Mountain offers some deep sand and a scary drop-off. This road is one way and not for a new off-road drivers.

Bold for emphasis theirs, not mine. :)

Again, that statement is for the whole 28 mile route. If you look on the map in the link, you'll see that only the Pinyon Mt drop-off is marked one way. Same for Diablo drop-off on a different trail.

The difficulty rating for any trail is given for the hardest part. 98% might be paved road and 2% crazy trials insanity, but whole trail gets a double black diamond.

The first part of the Pinyon Mt trail is used by people camping and you will see plenty of two way traffic before you get to the Squeeze.

But as I said, watch the video, be your own judge.

Totally agree Daryl I've seen a 2nd toyota sienna get out to a mile before the squeeze before I told him to turn around, He was with his wife and 2 kids. The 2 track to the squeeze is doable for a beginner I took my dad out there he's 70 and a beginner and hates sand and he made it out there fine. The first mile or 2 is very well used and easy.

I don't think it's a question of if it is doable by a new rider. It's a question of if you should be telling them its ok to turn around on a trail designated as one way by the park.