http://www.insightcrime.org/news-briefs/tijuana-cartel-resurgent-in-mexico-official

Just passing along info for my fellow Baja riders. The article I linked above details how the TJ cartel is re-claiming lost territory and currently recruiting more soldiers. The playas area is right in the middle of it all. I was talking with my landscaper who splits his time between here and in Rosarito. He said all the locals are afraid and lock their doors at sun down. He's considering selling his place in rosarito and living here full time because of it.

I'm not trying to scare anyone away, just raising awareness of the situation down south. In fact, I was supposed to be in San Felipe this weekend but life got in the way. cheers.

Wow. I lived in Playas for seven years, and never saw anything bad go down. I did see a shooting on my way home one day, but it was a drive by and they missed...stupid idiots. It was actually funny once I unflattened myself from the passenger seat.

I think is safe if you are respectful to the people, treat them as equals, don't ride like you're leading the Baja 500, etc. But hey, I am a 100% gringo who speaks nearly perfect Spanish, so your mileage may vary.

Please Explain how perfect Spanish affects interaction with the Cartel? Is your kidnap bounty more or less?

(:-)

Edit: Sorry, too snarky by a third. We can never have too much local knowlege / language. Situational awareness can help keep you out of lotsa trouble. If the bar us trouble, try the next village.

"To seek safety one must enter into the heart of danger"

---- The words of an old moto master

Two part answer.

1. Spanish does not help with the cartels, but my wife is from Sinaloa (cartel haven), and has taught me what to look for. I remember my first visit to her home town, and saw a house riddled with bullet holes...the house was brick. I asked her what happened, and she calmly replied, "four guys drove up in a Ford Lobo (F150) with AR-15's and killed the guy because he ripped them off." To them, it was just a normal occurrence.

2. Spanish does help from a safety/comfort level. I get asked all the time if Mexico is safe, and I tell them I feel safe because I speak Spanish.

If we would just end the war on drugs, the narcos would go out of business and have to get real jobs.

2. Spanish does help from a safety/comfort level. I get asked all the time if Mexico is safe, and I tell them I feel safe because I speak Spanish.

I agree with this... I don't speak even passable Spanish any more (It's even worserer than my English) but remember when I did... everything seemed easier, locals tended to talk to you more (=you know more what's going on), cops/federales seemed lass suspicious. Just "easier"... even overhearing discussion while having a cerveza can help

I'm not really interested in what my opinion(s) mean to anyone else, but here it is.

Whatever, same old ----. I lived in TJ, for months and even more months after those months, walked around at night alone, ate at the same taco stands the bad mother fuckers ate at, dated a big titted Mexican chick, one of their own for 7 years, and not one time did I ever feel scared or uncomfortable. I walked around Ensenada drunk out of my gourd at 3 a.m. more than once and no one robbed me or threatened me. Driven through the absolute worse neighborhoods in my California plated truck and spent the day at a beach where gringo are not welcomed, without a hard look from anyone.

​Just like the TJ Cop who worked security for the strip mall my girlfriend rented her clothing boutique from. The same cop I supplied stun guns too, because his dept. didn't have the money to buy them , would say, "don't sell drugs, don't buy drugs and you'll be fine".

People who are scared should not be allowed to use the word, "adventure" in their vernacular.

What would a Mexican cartel ever want anything to do with a gringo motorcycle rider??? Nothing!

Hype and hyperbole my friends.

"What would a Mexican cartel ever want anything to do with a gringo motorcycle rider??? Nothing!"

Two words: Harry Devert.

Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs

Life is way to short to be scared - but not short enough to be stupid.

My philosophy is simple.... If you don't want to travel in Mexico - Don't

Who am I to tell people the safety of another country - regardless of your ability to speak the language or not

On a brighter note:

A summer baja moto trip is now entering its preliminary stages of development

11722957266_8e2187860e_k.jpg

Where's Rigger?? You never know, do

You.

Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs

Life is way to short to be scared - but not short enough to be stupid.

My philosophy is simple.... If you don't want to travel in Mexico - Don't

Who am I to tell people the safety of another country - regardless of your ability to speak the language or not

On a brighter note:

A summer baja moto trip is now entering its preliminary stages of development

11722957266_8e2187860e_k.jpg

I never thought of carrying my tequila in a rotopax - brilliant!

@socalphil, you hit the nail on the head. I have had the same experiences as you, and NEVER had a problem. No drugs + no guns = no problemas!

@riggerdan, keep us posted on your trip plans. I am always looking for people to with ride in Baja. I have a dual Rotopax set up for my GS...a two gallon gas can and a two gallon tool pak. On my last trip to Cabo and back, we used the gas on the long haul between El Rosario and Guerrero Negro, but didn't really need it as there was gas for sale in Catavina from a couple of guys who sell it by the side of the road. That said, I was happy to have it and not need it...

http://www.insightcrime.org/news-briefs/tijuana-cartel-resurgent-in-mexico-official

Just passing along info for my fellow Baja riders. The article I linked above details how the TJ cartel is re-claiming lost territory and currently recruiting more soldiers. The playas area is right in the middle of it all. I was talking with my landscaper who splits his time between here and in Rosarito. He said all the locals are afraid and lock their doors at sun down. He's considering selling his place in rosarito and living here full time because of it.

I'm not trying to scare anyone away, just raising awareness of the situation down south. In fact, I was supposed to be in San Felipe this weekend but life got in the way. cheers.

safety of mexico thread = oil thread :upsidedown:

Thanks for the info, you always pass along good intell with the club. Still remember you posting about the wild dogs out by the chocolate mountains. :big_boss:

Liar.

Liar.

Water in rotopax... tequila in camelbak

Great thread. I tent camped at K-47 / Cantamar multiple times in High School. The worst thing that happened is I woke up one night to a group of about 3-4 of what I assumed were locals going through our bags. I was 16. They were mid 20's. I laid still. Options for a confrontation were not good or in my favor. The 4 of them were WIDE awake. All my buddies were SOUND asleep. I snorted and moved like I might be waking up ... they bailed. I changed my droors after they left.

I get the risks of heading south. They're legit, however small. My one question is whether or not kidnapping gringos is really something the cartels view as lucrative. If they did, and if they really ran the roost down there, wouldn't we see a TON more kidnappings? I mean, there are THOUSANDS of gringos each day in TJ giving off plenty of signs they may have money. Shoot, being white and riding a $20K ADV bike could be a sign of having money. Or, how about driving a $500K trophy truck?

If kidnapping is really the risk, then why don't we see it more often? Or is that really the proof there's essentially no risk in heading down there?

for the record: I would rather be riding and camping in Mexico (ANYWHERE in Mexico) than much of the United States (Compton or Inglewood for example closer to home)

I don't really speak the language of Mexico OR Compton and stick out like a sore thumb in both places

"Infrastructure" and "emergency services" are my only real concerns with riding in Mexico...

being kidnapped or otherwise damaged is not an issue in my mind. Being rousted/mugged/robbed? Again... more of a problem in any big city USA

Last time my wife had a speaking engagement in Mexico, I was wary, and made some decisions "to be on the safe side" much as I would on any trip

Every time I've ridden in Mexico, I've had a great time! Much of it feels like the wild west, and you'll never meet more poor people willing to share so much with you.

I totally get why you guys ride there. And I applaud you for it. And I think it's probably one of the safest ways to travel - pack of dudes going fast on dirts roads and trails. Awesome.

I was victimized in Baja because I was a sitting duck. I was already squeamish about having to go into the wilderness unarmed; It was my first time out of the country. 450 miles from home, Pemex stations out of gas, no cell phones, then having a couple thousand dollars worth of stuff stolen from our campers. Then breaking up a threat to the American campers down the beach from us.

It could happen here (211,000 unsolved murders since 1980). I've seen some creepy dudes in campsites and rest stops in America. But in America I've got a pistol under my shirt.

Anybody else use that Rotella oil? :)

I hear riding in northern Syria is a little sketchy as well, but Detroit is far worse, never used rotella is it good stuff???

Rotella oil only works when using Donlop tires.

as a newbie but Vet baja rider and mainland Mex too, it is and always will be adventurous (mex) , because they dont play by our rules, on the road OR in towns. not worse or better, just different. one thing ive seen though is most ANY of them will stop and help ANYONE at any time day or nite where as we up here just drive by a say 'bummer' and keep driving. PS the cartels new way of exsisting is by buying up legit buisnesses, and they dont ask kindly if youd like to sell your shop...if your lucky you may get to keep your job at a highly reduced pay, but ALIVE. and your family too! jaja yikes!

safety of mexico thread = oil thread :upsidedown:

Thanks for the info, you always pass along good intell with the club. Still remember you posting about the wild dogs out by the chocolate mountains. :big_boss:

The wild dog incident was 1000 times more frightening than my worst Mexico story!