Bruce

Best Flat Resistant Tire?

I apologize in advance for another tire post. But, most discussions involve performance or wear. If the selection criteria is limited to only flat resistance is there a particular tire anyone can recommend? I have Dunlop D739 on the rear and it seems to be indestructible, but they don't make a front tire. I've already decided on a heavy duty tube in the front, and I was hoping to match it with the toughest carcass I can find. Flat resistance is my only criteria, less concerned about performance or wear.

I rarely get flats....to me what matters most is running the medium to heaviest grade tubes.

Michilin HD tubes (not UHD). UHD do not inflate well and hold a good bead at low pressure under 12psi from experience. The michilen tubes are very good rubber and made in Japan. Try it they last years no flats. Keep using it in new tires.

For tires that dont go flat the maxxis desert it has really hard sidewalls and can be ridden totally flat without problems. But the front pattern isnt all that great. The perelli XCMH fronts are very strong but they are soft outter rubber that doesn't last all that well. So always some tradeoffs. Dunlop must have an All Terrain type front to match that 739 too.

The MX type tires michilen 404 and 604 type tires are nice tires but when you get a flat, its FLAT.

Dunlop D606...even if it does go flat, it's so solid you hardly notice. :coolio:

Dunlop D606...even if it does go flat, it's so solid you hardly notice. :coolio:

Can't comment on the front but if it's as same as the back, yup. I had a trail flat on a 606 rear on a DR650. Thought I was okay on pressure after the repair - didn't check it as it was cold and windy - and rode it after a "kick" test. Got to Ramona and checked it - 6 PSI. Didn't really handle all that badly, either. :)

I agree on the 606's....been running them for years on the 640...and also sometimes on front of the 950.

I am in the market for another rear tire .thinking maxis desert IT .michelin hd tube.

I am in the market for another rear tire .thinking maxis desert IT .michelin hd tube.

Excellent choice. And add 8 oz of Slime to eliminate any minor punctures and you are golden.

I have taco'ed rims hitting rocks going fast and have not got pinch flats.

XHD tube, Slime and 14+psi. and :thumbsup_anim: +++ for the Dunlop d-606 in the front even on the 950

For my 500 what is the best size desert IT rear tire to use? Locally who would have A good price?

Rick- for your 500, especially if you're talking desert tire; go at least 120. Better in the sand with the horsepower you have at your disposal. For singletrack, some bikes feel lighter and more responsive with a smaller tire. Is the IT available in 140?

Go 120 rick perfect fit on the 500 looks big for a 120 too. Dunno about local for best deal i got mine at veys lemon grove for like $3 more than online prices

Go 120 rick perfect fit on the 500 looks big for a 120 too. Dunno about local for best deal i got mine at veys lemon grove for like $3 more than online prices

Ok. I will check with Veys.