Afry

EVS neck roll to protect collarbone?

Looking for collarbone protection when flat track racing. Head on frontal impacts are not as common as mx so I'm not considering Leatt type neck brace.

Anyone have experience to share with the EVS type neck roll?

Keep in mind I will only be wearing it for 10 minutes at a time.

EVS has cheaper but functional looking versions for $40 and they go up to $160 for the high end models. This is getting close in price to a low end Leatt but sounds like the neck roll is better to protect the collarbone - think highside....

My wife wears an EVS R3 race collar and has had her fair share of highsides/head hits without a single broken collarbone, so that's a point in favor.

I personally wear the R4 and am pleased with it, but thankfully haven't really put it to the test.

I'm not a doctor, but it's my understanding a collarbone is broken by force traveling up the arm (bracing in a fall) towards the shoulder. The collarbone is a "circuit breaker" provided by evolution or nonspecifichigherpower of one's choice, to reduce the force on the neck.

A neck collar or Leatt would (should my theory be correct) not help at all.

That was some fun reading, one of the docs that was working on my shoulder mentioned that it only takes 7lbs of force applied just right to break a collar bone, that sounds ridiculously low, but I've done it 5 times somehow. Metal plate put an end to that at least on the left.

Arnie just get titanium plates put in both shoulders , proactive permanent highside damage proofing!

:)

It is my further understanding that collarbones are perfectly safe if the conveyance (say-a motorcycle) does not start.

Paul, Paul, Paul... :coolio:

...does not start...that's funny! but I did almost pull a groin muscle trying to kick that beast when not past tdc.

But we digress...good article but I thought motorcycle helmets are also a cause of collarbone injuries which probably would not have been discussed in the above article about pedal pushers.

According to Leatt there are 3 common ways to injure your collarbone :

i) a fall onto an outstretched arm, transmitting the force up the arm to the clavicle, ii) a direct fall onto the shoulder, transmitting force to the clavicle, or iii) helmet rim striking the clavicle in a fall with lateral flexion of the head/neck.

Funny.

I had a Leatt a month or so after their release, and one of the reasons I sold it was because I thought a good hit to it would break my collarbone.

That'd be my professional opinion as a photographer.

That

I had a Leatt a month or so after their release, and one of the reasons I sold it was because I thought a good hit to it would break my collarbone.

That's were I think the neck collar/roll might work better than a brace to protect against the helmet.

I have an evs neck collar. Worked good with my Troy lee designs air helmet, but when I switched to the shoei vfx-w it inhibited my ability to look up so I stopped using it. Point being test the fit with your helmet to make sure it does not inhibit movement that you desire.

Arne what did u end up getting, I'm looking at either the evs r3 or r4 after my recent dirt nap yesterday. I'm worried the r4 would be to bulky and get in the way and not comfortable.

I've since upgraded to a Leatt GPX 5.5, you're welcome to try out my old R4 and if you like it I'll cut you a very good deal on it.

I went with the basic R2 and really like it. The R4 looks like it may do a little more but for my needs on short flat tracks it just fine. Agreed about needing to be comfortable which it is - I don't even realize it's there so I use it.