Sign in to follow this  
Dan Diego

Quick Baja ride: Petroglyph Park (near El Rosario)

Anyone up for a quick run down the peninsula to see the Finding Petroglyphs before they're gone?

Easy weekend ride, camp or hotel.

Here's an interesting article describing it:

post-14554-0-20551200-1424378877.jpg

http://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/petroglyph_park.php

The Magic Peninsula of Baja California never ceases to amaze with the fun and interesting sites to be seen and experienced.

Using the Baja Cactus Motel in El Rosario as a base, we made a loop trip in the country to the northeast. It had been something I wanted to do ever since I learned about a road in 1973 that wasnt on any of my maps. The road was used for the 1973 Baja 500 in order to avoid the new highway construction around El Rosario. It has since been used a few times by SCORE for Baja races.

I opted to run the 105 mile loop counter-clockwise, and it was a perfect way to go. In recent years of wet weather, the El Socorro side of the road is used more by motorcycles than 4 wheel drives. A high ground clearance 4WD with locking differential or traction control is recommended for travel beyond Mile 26 and especially beyond Petroglyph Park.

Sounds fun Dan, is this mostly dirt riding or? What are the dates?

When Diego, we have the DD this weekend. I am up for some street tacos.

No dates yet, guys; just thought it would be an interesting weekend ride.

Unfortunately, most of the riding is Mexican asphalt, 230 miles straight down Hwy 1. Then there's 105 mile or so dirt loop to get from El Socorro to the petroglyphs and exiting near El Rosario.

Then 230 miles of pavement back to the border.

Just an idea...

Excellent. Let's start looking at some upcoming weekends. Or even a Friday/Saturday deal.

We can tie in other stuff down there, too. Or just blast down and back.

I have been in that area . Never knew about any petroglyph,s. Very remote . Realy can not pull that trip off in a weekend . I would be up for it but the leg is still not ready.

The more I look at this I got tracks . I been taking guys threw this area for years . Lots of roads. I always wanted to spend more time in that area. always just passed threw to get to Cativina or Gonzaga . THEIR IS A KUG STICKER ALONG THE ROUTE ! .

Along the route ! The first time I went threw their -their was a couple living at this ranch. Now abandoned . Me Tracy and Jaun passed last year.

P1050012-L.jpg

The more I look at this I got tracks . I been taking guys threw this area for years . Lots of roads. I always wanted to spend more time in that area. always just passed threw to get to Cativina or Gonzaga . THEIR IS A KUG STICKER ALONG THE ROUTE ! .

I figured you'd been down there. What else is there to see?

Yeah, a weekend might be a little tight. Perhaps 3 days would be better.

It's just so much asphalt and only 100 miles of dirt.

When Diego, we have the DD this weekend. I am up for some street tacos.

Oh, yeah!

post-14554-0-13086400-1424443333.png

Hey, wait. What's that decal on that Saguaro?!?!

If the roads aren't too rutted this might be a trip for the big bikes.

steve

Absolutely, Steve. I'm going on my thunder pumpkin, regardless.

This looks like fun...I'll watch the thread for dates...I will be the slow slabber on a 350 though.

This looks like fun...I'll watch the thread for dates...I will be the slow slabber on a 350 though.

Yeah, I took my thumper to Cabo and back. Know what a KLR feels like doing 70-80 MPH all day long? Whew!

How about the weekend of march 20th? or march 27? as I was planning on head down both weekends lol

Jim

Jim - You have a sickness! :)

How about the weekend of march 20th? or march 27? as I was planning on head down both weekends lol

Jim

Jim - You have a sickness! :)

Oh, c'mon, Arnie? Don't we all?!?

just a compulisive addiction personality here .....V-dog (he's the one with the sickness)

Can't thank you enough for the routes Arnie!

Best,

Jim

Bumpity bump!

One option would be to drive south to eat up some of the slab miles. Maybe drive to San Quintin the night before then loop out from there in the early AM. You could ride for one or two days then head back in the late afternoon. While I still have MUCH to explore in Northern Baja within a day or two ride south from SD, I'm also interested in further strikes south as well.