Looks a lot better...glad to hear he is on the road to recovery...

Ummm ... yeah that's looking way better. Hey your son my like a book I'm reading right now. It's called "Coming Back Stronger" by Drew Brees. Great story.

Thats a great gesture going back and thanking the guy. Your sons leg looks like a winner .

As a quick update. My son came back to SD for surgery during spring break. The surgeon tells us that he re-attached the ACL, LCL, PCL and a tendon. Took most of the parts out of his good leg. He said things went really well. Good holes, good anchors, etc...

Dave convalesced at home for 10 days and now he and I are back at college. He started on a walker and now he is on two crutches. He is doing PT twice a week and getting better. Hopefully within another 1-2 weeks he will be down to one crutch.

I am leaving him tomorrow and headed back to SD.

So, things are going pretty well - everything considered.

We are talking about an anniversary ride back to Baja on the same date as the accident (December 2015).

steve

Fantastic news. So good to hear.

Would love to make your December 2015 trip.

Keep us all posted.

Steve, I'm glad to hear your son is doing much better. A Dec 2015 anniversary ride sounds like a fantastic idea

I hope the Cal Poly girls dig his scar and baja moto adventure stories!

My son is now 13 months from his accident and is doing really well. The surgeries and the recovery could not have gone better. He has put a lot of work into his recovery and getting much of his old capability back. We wanted to do an anniversary ride on the same days as the last trip (from the accident 13 months ago) but with one thing or another we just went this weekend.

Friday Sat Sunday. Tecate to Ojos to Urapan, to Santo Thomas to Coyote Cals on day one. Day two down to Camalu and back to Coyote via the beach route. Day three repeat day one in reverse. The weather was a factor but we hit it pretty much perfect. Enough snow and mud to make things interesting but not enough to bother us.

I had hoped my son's accident would have a silver lining to slow him down a little. No such luck. Or maybe I have just gotten even slower so our relative speeds are still the same. haha. Anyway, it was great to be back in the saddle with him and this was another symbolic way for us to put this behind us. Some pics of the route many of you know well.

IMG_2135_zpsieo71uxr.jpg

IMG_2144_zpsrdw0kjbc.jpg

IMG_2147_zps094orifj.jpg

His friend borrowed our 230 and came with us. That poor guy is 6'5" and rode that small bike for over 500 miles in the 3 days! I would think that that bike would be worn out but it just won't die! It has probably taught 20 kids how to ride and done almost 10 baja trips with luggage.

IMG_2181_zpsqpzkua3m.jpg

IMG_2188_zpsyvgwnwgr.jpg

IMG_2219_zps4utxx8q1.jpg

Anyway, I mostly lurk on this website but I do check in periodically and I appreciate the support that was offered last year. I'll see you guys/gals on the trail!

steve

His friend borrowed our 230 and came with us. That poor guy is 6'5" and rode that small bike for over 500 miles in the 3 days! I would think that that bike would be worn out but it just won't die! It has probably taught 20 kids how to ride and done almost 10 baja trips with luggage.

IMG_2181_zpsqpzkua3m.jpg

IMG_2188_zpsyvgwnwgr.jpg

IMG_2219_zps4utxx8q1.jpg

Very cool photo. Makes me want to get down there again soon. Very cool to go back and thank that guy. Glad to see your son back on the bike. It is a testament to his character.

Great to hear your son is back on the bike. What a great story - really happy for you both.

How cool and that looks like fun trip even thought last time had a bad outcome

Great --nice to see you guys riding together again.

That is awesome Steve...glad to hear your son is riding again and even cooler that it is with his Dad!

I should not have to tell you how sorry I am to here about your bad experience. But my wife is a Doctor, schooled in Mexico, all medical schools in Mexico are recognized by California, my wife worked and retired from IMSS which is a federal hospital system in Mexico. Medical care in Mexico is the same or better than in the USA, it is not for profit so you get really good care, don't believe stupid stories you hear about Mexico. If your injured call for medical help right away, you will receive good to great care and when stable they will help you arrange for transfer to a US facility if you choose. Never take it upon yourself to not get medical treatment no matter what country your in the life you risk is not worth it. Ride safe and always assume the other person is not paying attention. Be prepared.