1kstep

KTM 300 2t tires

If you have the pleasure of owning one of these beasts you know that they will fry knobbies like mad. I know there is a contingent here that will say to get the pirelli MT43, Ok...what is a good knobbie option.

I've tried Michelins, Bridgestones, Dunlops on the GasGas 300 2T, and you're right, they wear fast!

My favorite thus far is definitely the Motoz Tractionator Enduro I/T rear. It seems to grip even better as it wears, which is a first. I haven't tried it in pure sand (Glamis, Superstish) yet, but I bet the paddle-like directional tread pattern will work well as a sand hybrid, too...

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/product/motoz-tractionator-enduro-it-intermediate-terrain-rear-tire/908-110-100-18.aspx

The matching front has been outstanding as well. First, it hooks up consistently and very predictably, and second, it is the only tire so far NOT TO CHUNK at all after several days of sharp rock punishment at Corral Canyon. Highly recommended...

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/product/motoz-tractionator-enduro-it-intermediate-terrain-front-tire/908-080-100-21.aspx

Next in the tire queue is, in fact, the MT43, which I've never ridden. We'll see...

GT216AA up front.....rear is up to user....but GT216AA up front......its the fattest, stupidest, counterintuitive, weird looking thing.....but it just works on everything.

my standard has been FIM enduro type rubber for years for all around use (very short wear) GT216AA has changed that.

For rear tires in no particular order, Maxxis Desert IT, Pirelli Scorpion XCMH and Michelin AC10 have all lasted pretty well attached to my Aprilia RXV550 and YZ450F.

What is your intended terrain?

Michelin AC10 I used these for a while good tire, highly recommended for enduro racing in dez terrain by KTM's Al Randt (Mike Lafferty's mech and former nat enduro racer)

Been searching for the best front tire. Just ordered the GT216AA. $150 shipped.

For me the Maxxis Desert IT is my favorite rear tire I've used so far. My RMZ 450 eats mx51's and 52's in 4 or 5 rides. I have 6 rides on the maxxis and it's still in good shape and hooks up well.

I was an MT 21 guy for years until I saw Kug ride for 1000 miles on a Maxxis Desert IT and it didn't show a lot of wear. Switched and will never go back. It's not DOT but I don't give a hoot.

CiD

I'm using a Michelin Starcross MH3 on my WR300. Seems to work very well in a variety of conditions.

I second mtn on the motoz tires i used to run the it on my 2010 ktm 300xcw and it was amazing. Im currently running it on my 2014 te310 and hook like crazy in all conditions pretty stiff so have to run around 11-14psi. I also run the motoz desert tires on my husky te630 and they will not wear out at all 1500 miles and look brand new. Gp motorcycles can order them also if you wanna use someone local.

Gt216AA will be my next front tyre. I picked my bike up from zipty racing and i saw these funky fat front tyres. Its going seem weird having such a fat tyre up front but it make sense. I havent heard and negitive reviews on the tyre. My only concern is a bib that will fit. I'll just run an HD tube and call it a day.

Thank you folks. AFAIK Robert, Seth, and Mimi are the ones with 300s so their votes count more.

For rear tires in no particular order, Maxxis Desert IT, Pirelli Scorpion XCMH and Michelin AC10 have all lasted pretty well attached to my Aprilia RXV550 and YZ450F.

100% off road - sharp rock (Lark, CC), smooth rock, deep sand, hard pack, the bike is a KTM 300 2 stroke.

Rotella. Oh wait...

Yeah Spaugh, posting stuff like this is a lot like asking about religion...or if Coke is better than Pepsi.

The Desert IT is a durable tire with a very stiff sidewall, ever tried to change one by hand? and it's bullshit when it's wet out. The starcross worked well on my RMz 450. The ac10 has vaulted into the lead. There are mixed reviews on the tractionator - too much traction...hard to slide the rear. No one likes the B-stone m404?

I sold my Tractionators to Mntnman after I ran them for 30 miles. Too squirrely on my 300, climbed the edges of ruts and grooves, broke loose unexpectedly, and slid down rock slabs rather than grabbing traction. I'm glad that they like his bike better than they liked mine. The WR does not have a subtle power band, so maybe that has something to do with it. :coolio:

I ran a 300 for a while, if its is breaking loose traction often, the power valve needs to be adjusted. It will make a huge difference. The maxxis tires are good for desert, for mccain a softer tire mid terrain or enduro type or trial tire would be better. Really not anything special about the 300, a motor is a motor and they all burn gas and turn it into mechanical energy and can be tuned to have different powerbands. The 300 is very tunable. Definitely work on jetting and power valve, it will make a bigger diference than tire choice IMO.

By the way I am a huge fan of the m404 and m604. The m604 lasts really well and has a nice aggressive knob pattern. Better for rocks. Those are the tires I use on my 2T 200. That or a dunlop 803 which will outperform an mt43. Mid terrain tires are pretty versatile IMO.

100% off road - sharp rock (Lark, CC), smooth rock, deep sand, hard pack, the bike is a KTM 300 2 stroke.

I only ask because I've ridden with a broad spectrum of 300 riders. From guys that are happy with 50/50 dirt/street (40/10 dirt road/singletrack) to others practicing for the WEC series.

I think the favorite of my recs that I used on the Aprilia (280# 60hp) have been the Pirelli XCHM. I've only had one set but my memories of them are quite favorable.

My current set up is a M402 M403. The front is huge, 90/100 I think, but don't have enough time on them to render an opinion.