I've read a multitude of positive reviews on the G2 Throttle Cam. I think they could go a long way in controlling a big bore bike on singletrack (traction vs overpowering & wheel spin). Has anybody here ever used one?

extcstubes01.jpg

old-new-throttle.jpg

Even guys like Paul Whibley (GNCC) and Grant Langston (Pro MX) use the 300 cam.

post-14322-0-97337900-1402036863_thumb.j

I question the idea that they actually USE the product.

I have one on the 990- it was rumored to help with the fi induced "snatchy" throttle, a term I cannot use without a little laughter. It did help a little, but I liked it because it's aluminum, not plastic like the stock tube.

I won't put one on the 500- didn't feel any miracle happening, and I didn't ride any better.

But now that I think about it, maybe I should....

(Feel free to click the "like" button on this post)

I tried, it doesn't seem to be working. Why is it even there?

:)

I asked the fine fellows at AA KTM and their opinion was I would not like the small difference for the money spent but then they know I'm cheap.

I asked the fine fellows at AA KTM and their opinion was I would not like the small difference for the money spent but then they know I'm cheap.

Funny.

The Fine Fellows at AA is who recommended it to me. To be fair, it was to correct a problem you don't have, so....

Thanks for sharing your experiences guys! Most people online rave and love these things so its good to hear contrasting opinions.

PMB what cam do you run on the 990?

That advertisement came out prior to FI so maybe they were used more on carb race bikes? One can change ignition timing through a Vortex/Dynatek ignition (current race teams have some very custom ignition curves). I hear that pro motocross teammates Ken Roczen and Ryan Dungey have very different power deliveries.

According to the ad, James Stewart used a 050 cam which is a faster opening, quick turn throttle. I could see that especially in a Supercross setting. If you watch GoPro footage, SX riders are rarely ever "on the gas" - just quick blasts of throttle and they sky over 50ft doubles with ease, amazing stuff.

I read somewhere that Paul Whibley would change throttle cams depending on race conditions. He detunes his MX bikes for enduro racing (allegedly).

Well, that's a good point- many people run the g2 to soften throttle response, but others might use it to advance the throttle response- make the cable shorten more rapidly (opening the throttle) during specific portions of the power curve.

Mine was the middle cam- some refer to it as a throttle "tamer" which flattens in the very low rpm cruising range, making the fi less susceptible to tiny variations in throttle input. The 990s had numbers of complaints about this- and while I didn't like it, I didn't not find it terrible. ADVrider guys were crazy about the issue.

I recently made some changes to the bike that would likely alleviate the issue altogether, but I won't change back to the stock tube. Just not a big deal.

I have used them before on my old 300 2T and my wife runs it on her 200 2T. You have to twist it harder to make it go which can be a good thing in technical stuff. It definitely is not a miracle product though. A flywheel weight is probably a better option IMO.

If you are talking about putting it on your 525, I would not bother. Those bike already come on really slow and are not "snatchy". It would be better for a motocross bike that has a "hit".

The 990s had numbers of complaints about this- and while I didn't like it, I didn't not find it terrible.

I was in the same boat. The snatchy throttle issue exists (I just giggled a little, too) but it ain't no big deal after a few thousand miles.

I just like the term "snatchy" because I'm adolescent.

Interesting to see the different profiles to address responses. I put a 15% faster throttle tube on the DR as it's almost a double grab to go full open in stock form. Also aluminum and much smoother than the stocker.

no big deal after a few thousand miles.

But we've seen evidence that those were pampered miles! :torch:

kidding, kidding Mr DD

I agree with the sentiment to try running the bike first "as is" before attempting any mods. $80 in a throttle cam is a lot of miles in gas along the trail. There is a learning curve in terms of maintaining traction when you add a ton of low end torque with a more powerful motor. There is also a difference in feel between hydraulic and cable clutches (at least the ones I have used).

During an initial review of the 500xcw, Chilly White noted that Ned Suesse (of Dakar and other racing fame - Neduro on ADVrider) "got the G2 cam for his 500 and it did make the power delivery much smoother."

TrophyHunter - I remember you installing a quick turn throttle. I can totally see that on the DR, to me its feels like a slow revving motor and a quick turn throttle might get da powah to hit harder/faster. I bet the combo of a quick turn throttle and pumper carb dramatically changed the throttle response of the DR!

Girl Friend.

If you apply 1/3 of the ideas researched, you will have a "factory" ride.

Do you have room for all the product placement decals?

SandBagger

I just like the term "snatchy" because I'm adolescent.

I know.

Like! You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Tim, your 525 is a different beast then the new 500. The stroke is longer, no FI, and more flywheel mass. It should come on a lot smoother and be less stall prone than the new short stroke FI bikes. Those 525s are fantastic motors, super easy to ride for their size IMO. You shouldn't need to do anything to tame it down.

Also regarding the clutch, us smaller guys need to get the levers adjusted so that our hands are not straining at all to reach and use the controls. I have to grind the little parts that actuate the clutch and brake down so that my levers will come closer to the bars on all my bikes. You may need to do the same. I can adjust them all the way out and the levers are still too far from the bars to be used comfortably for me until they have a date with the dremel tool.

Tim - you cover some tech ground publicly that a few do privately....as evidenced by most of the responses. I like the tech side and wrenching. Bench racing is gaining knowledge.

If Bagster continues with the GF stuff, ya better claim outside spoon before he does.

Spaugh, your comments carry weight since I know you have experience with the 525 (and lots of KTMs for that matter). I'd be interested in checking out your ergo setup. One bike I have came with ASV levers and they are fun to tweak with. I tend to point my levers more down than most.

I didn't mean to compare the 525 to a 500, I just brought up Chilly White / Neduro quote for discussion with Paul since he just got a new 500. When I rode a 525 in the open desert it's power is undeniable as it can easily pull me through the gears in any situation. I'll have to get one to McCain and get some laps in there. I definitely need more time on the bike for sure.

Keep the convo going!

Girl Friend.

If you apply 1/3 of the ideas researched, you will have a "factory" ride.

Do you have room for all the product placement decals?

SandBagger

Girl Friend?

This is at least the second time you've referred to me as that and I feel I need to clear the air before anybody here gets suspicious: No, Bagstr and I are not dating! Haha he is free to buy me moto farkles and maybe its lonely on the farm but no funny business allowed! Lol!

In all seriousness, I hope to catch you on the trail soon amigo. It's always good riding with you and your ABDSP rides are excellent.

-Tim

ps: Trophy, I call Big Spoon!

Copy, I will keep it to screen names, sorry. It is entertaining to run through all the possible equipment combinations.

Searching around and came across this.... so to resurrect this thread. I put a G2 Throttle tamer on the 300 and the very next ride I found myself exiting corners more consistently instead of loosing traction and fish tailing.

I also installed one on my 500 after the first ride on it to smooth that initial power delivery and I like it. It's not mind blowing difference but just enough to where it smooths things out.

FYI... running the 400 cam in both.

I have a 400 on my 990 and it made a huge difference, primarily when standing and shifting weight front to rear.

My flat tracker is getting one for better mid corner control.