Guest Crusty

First picture of the new CRF Africa Twin 1000 from Honda

I am not a big fan of the low hanging exposed exhaust. This seems to be popular with motorcycle manufacturers nowadays. Why, what it the advantage?

Looks great- bum; I agree about those pipes down there...my swingarm on the DRZ says it a bad place...for street based bikes, it's not a problem...for dirt based bikes, they need to be tucked up and out of the way. THAT being said; they have "a" bike with the moniker on it, so it's a step in the right direction

Guest Crusty

I think I will stick with my CRF 450X and XR 680L

Just like all the other big bikes, I think it will suck in the dirt, I'm just not that into fire roads.

Doesn't look like a parallel eight cylinder to me.....

Picky, picky, picky but I don't like the integrated front turn signals. Also they look pretty weak on protection.

Do like the rear turn signals how they are integrated onto the fender, but I believe for US (DOT) compliance they need to be 9" on center.

No need for dual front disc on a bike they're trying to keep under 400 llbs.

Kinda funny there is a rear disc guard for protection right behind that rock smashing low pipe.

Looks like a rendering to me. As I said before, I'll believe when I can see one in person for sale on US soil.

Here's an actual pic of the 450 Rally, which the africa twin is said to be based on. Exhaust placement looks identical and I don't think they had too much difficulty in the Dakar this year:

EDIT: Ok, look at these two pics right with each other. They're obviously the same photo. Even the wheels are rotated to the exact same spot and if you follow the curve up on the exhaust look how cheesily it terminates into the stock pipe. I'm calling rendering on the first pic for sure.

Grotefoto-FMOEZZNN.jpg

2014-honda-crf450-rally-17.jpg

Looks like a rendering to me. As I said before, I'll believe when I can see one in person for sale on US soil.

I believe your are correct sir, more internet gibberish.

I don't get the low pipes, they make HP and the Dakar guys can change them everyday if needed. Still don't get it.

Dakar doesn't have much in the way of rock infested singletrack...and yes, you guys are right...it STILL isn't an actual bike and still doesn't have actual specs...so; it's just a better drawing than the other one (not Tom's...the OTHER one)

Doesn't the low pipe thing have a lot to do with keeping fuel cooler that's stored towards the back of the bike?

Doesn't the low pipe thing have a lot to do with keeping fuel cooler that's stored towards the back of the bike?

Maybe but more then one bike burned to the ground this year after crashing and the rear tank caught fire..from the exhaust?

The low pipes are to maximize the space around the frame for fuel tanks. If I recall most of the fires occured on a very hot day, in a slow moving, deep sand section. If you've ever boiled the gas in your tank the vapor sprays out of the vent hose. I could've caught fire on my XR my first trip to the Sierrras.

I agree the photo is no more than a digital rendering. If Honda makes it for the US market I will be as suprised as the next skeptic.

try to find another place to route exhaust pipes on a dakar rally bike......this is an racing/engineering/ rules driven evolutionary machine based on @ 40 years of rally racing across the longest terrain sections in the harshest environments at stupid fast speeds.

The low pipes are to maximize the space around the frame for fuel tanks.

Okay, now that makes sense

Tom's in-line transverse 8 cylinder engine doesn't even HAVE exhaust pipes! That is over 40 years of doodling on napkins while out to sea technology right there!

"Newest technology and link it to the Dakar bike"

"off-road potential to rival class-defining BMW GS 1200GS"

Yes, potential to hurt you off-road! Just what we need, another Starbucks Off-roader. Flash / bolt! "Starbucks Edition"

Where can I register that concept?

Thanks Crusty, all this information has been, and will continue to be quite entertaining. :rolleyes::P;)

Tom's in-line transverse 8 cylinder engine doesn't even HAVE exhaust pipes! That is over 40 years of doodling on napkins while out to sea technology right there!

dei.jpg

YOU started the comparison, and the article compares it to a HUGE BMW...still waiting for a 100 HP, sub-400 pound dirt bike that will outperform the KTM950. That's where this thread started

Did you see any pieces of paper out there while you were riding your bike on those trails?....did you move over?