Sign in to follow this  
gpskevin

TransAmerica Trail now LA to NY option

News: The Trans America Trail has been updated from its original route to include options from LA and New York

TAT+2014.880+FInal.jpg

How cool is that?

Ok so who wants to ride the route this summer? Or have you just been dreaming about riding. The info to ride this route is "Open Source" meaning you can just go to the Trans America Webpage and get the info for free. You can just download it and ride it however you like or modify it, what the heck? It also means that many people have contributed to making these new route extensions happen. So cool and thanks to everyone that loves the ride. The original trail has also been revised and includes high resolution gps files that will tell you at anytime if you are more then a few feet off the trail. That means only the riding is left. No worries right?

OK so what are you waiting for: Everytime we say no to a ride that is one less ride in life.

Awesome!!

This is seriously cool. Any idea on how many days it could take to complete?

Awesome!!

Let's find out

Awesome!!

Two and a half should cover it.

I need more vacation time.

X2

Nice, thanks for posting!

Could make a run east to Moab then NW to Oregon on the TAT looping back down hwy 1to home,

I plan on riding a modified TAT (San Diego - Boston) Cant happen this year, but 2015 spring is in the planning process. Some short couple of day runs will be needed to shake down stuff. :ph34r:

I'm thinking about buying a generic bike like a Drz400, gen 1 Klr, dr650 or wr250r etc and riding it to my homeland in Jersey then selling the bike and flying home. I have family where I could leave the bike - or maybe someone here wants to fly east and ride her home?

Anyone know how many weeks would this ride would take? 3-4 weeks?

I'm thinking about buying a generic bike like a Drz400, gen 1 Klr, dr650 or wr250r etc and riding it to my homeland in Jersey then selling the bike and flying home. I have family where I could leave the bike - or maybe someone here wants to fly east and ride her home?

I've been researching this like a mad man and time frames range from about 1 to 3 months. A lot of people tend to do some of it one year then go back later to finish up the rest. Reasons being the climate. If you go for it all in one sitting there is no "perfect" time. Go early to beat the Des heat in Utah and you hit snow in Co. Go later and you suffer in the heat then get ruined by rain and humidity in the Eastern States.

Conditions vary depending on whos report you read. I found one report where a Women riding a CBR did a majority of it. The potential for re-routing is so huge on a ride like this. I can understand if a trail is no longer there but I would want to try and stick to the posted off road route as much as possible.

How serious are you about this???? Are you searching Craigslist as we speak or was the post up under the influence of a sixer???

My bike is sitting out there awaiting a departure date...

I'm thinking about buying a generic bike like a Drz400, gen 1 Klr, dr650 or wr250r etc and riding it to my homeland

Don't you ever call the most capable, most reliable, unequivocally the most fashionable and unanimously heralded "world's best dualsport of the 21st century" - Suzuki DRZ400, generic!!

So you're about to embark on the greatest motorcycle ride of your life and you leave the 950SE at home, instead, taking a Suzuki......

(insert flaming emoticon anywhere in my comment above but I'm on mobile and can't access the smilies. Arnie knows I'm joking, well I'm kind of joking - the Ultimate DR650 would rock this ride! The Gen 1 KLR would be the cheapest to buy and haul supplies with, the DRZ can be found inexpensively and will be a lighter base than the 650s, the DR is built for travel like this but can be pricey is you start modding it out and the WR-R would be sweet with FI and 6speed but possibly double the cost of the KLR.)

Awesome!!

Two and a half should cover it.

Two and a half days doesn't seem like much.

But... 60 hours, now we're talking!

It does sound much easier when you put it like that. If we break it down into seconds we would have so much extra time!

This thing is right up your alley Tim... a MEGA adventure for sure.

I like this idea. Get a few people to invest in the bike and ride it across country a few times. I have always wanted to do the TAT but getting that much time off is not feasible for me now. I guess I could put in my retirement request any time, though.

I might be interested in trying it in a Cannonball Run fashion. I wonder what it could be done in with the proper planning and support?

CiD

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/31/us/new-york-los-angeles-cannonball-speed-record/

Mentioned in a lot of reports I've already read; it seems to come down to luck in the Eastern States. So many reports show roads covered in water. (no pun)

Just riding along and then a segment of trail/road underwater for a half mile.

With shorter rides you can kinda pick a good weather window. The duration of this one really leaves you out there to the enexpected.

Love the idea of going out to crush it but speed, offroad, absence of sleep and the unknown really make me teeter on the side of caution.

I've goosebumps already!

Do any of the reports mention a time or what a current record might be?

CiD

I might be interested in trying it in a Cannonball Run fashion. I wonder what it could be done in with the proper planning and support?

CiD

http://www.cnn.com/2...l-speed-record/

Mentioned in a lot of reports I've already read; it seems to come down to luck in the Eastern States. So many reports show roads covered in water. (no pun)

Just riding along and then a segment of trail/road underwater for a half mile.

With shorter rides you can kinda pick a good weather window. The duration of this one really leaves you out there to the enexpected.

Love the idea of going out to crush it but speed, offroad, absence of sleep and the unknown really make me teeter on the side of caution.

I've goosebumps already!

No, I have not found anything where someone has set out to do it for "time".

Very few do it all in one sitting. Sections over several years is the norm I guess.

Most go into it with a open schedule and just go with the flow.

200 miles per day seems to be a good push depending on your route choice. The route is posted but there are re-routes everywhere in case you want something eaiser or faster. It's hard to find an exact number for anything.

One report shows a CBR then another shows a 250 floating down a strem. lol

The ride is so huge with so many factors you have no idea whats gonna happen.

Vic can you post some of the links you are reading? I'd like to check them out.

CiD, the LA (if any of us start this, we better ride from our front doors) to NY is a new route created by gpsKevin so I don't know if it has even been completed straight through.. yet!

the eternal Quest for Epicness favors doing this ride in one sitting!

Yes start to finish in one run. Let's find out what the approximate mileage would be and I think we could do 350 to 400 miles a day if we only stop for short rest and 5 hours of sleep a night and do the whole thing in 5 or 6 days. Then fly and ship the bikes back home.

Chris

Vic can you post some of the links you are reading? I'd like to check them out.

CiD, the LA (if any of us start this, we better ride from our front doors) to NY is a new route created by gpsKevin so I don't know if it has even been completed straight through.. yet!

the eternal Quest for Epicness favors doing this ride in one sitting!

Goof,

I'll try to get some links together. Did you read GPSKEVINS yet? Him and his boy did it and he has tons of information and videos. Good info and pics on packing and shipping the moto too. Also prices and recommendations for that.

Now with the CA/NY edition posted you can go from here to either NY or North Carolina using the tracks. I think the split is in TN.

SV, no I probably got distracted by the remix Ted Talk video and got sucked into the Ted website (ted talks are good stuff). I'm on mobile so it is easy to miss a link. I'll re-read though Kevin's site and hunt for his RR.

CiD, consistent 350-400 mile days, we best have a damn good average moving speed! I'm in the process of building and ADV dr650. My thoughts have been on Cabo and Utah this year with Alaska next year. Hmm, the SD to NY TAT sounds awesome though. I have a good friend in NYC and I might be able to twist FuzzyNugs' arm into riding the bike back lol.

So you're about to embark on the greatest motorcycle ride of your life and you leave the 950SE at home, instead, taking a Suzuki......

Hehe ONLY cause I couldn't SELL the SE - but I can sell a Suzuki biggrin.gif I am looking into shipping costs to bring the SE back in case I come to my senses and ride the bike I already own and is already sorted out for a trip like this.

Any of those bikes would work fine but I am leaning towards a WR or DRZ kinda because I have never had one and want to travel light. Either bike would work well mostly stock - with a bigger tank.

I am thinking mid September would be a good time to cross the Rockies if you try and do it in one shot. The desert will be warm no matter what and the east coast might have lees rain towards the end of Sept and into Oct.

You guys may be way ahead of me on this though as I'm not sure this year works for me and I committed to support a buddy ride the Baja Rally 9/24-28.