Goofy Footer

Death Valley ~ Spring ~ March 7-9, 2014

I'm out, the Triumph overheated after I just talked well of it. Love/hate relationship with this bike....

You've got almost two weeks to fix it. :)

He has a point.

John, very cool of you. Count me IN for the group site. DV time is closing in, I need to get into bike prep mode!! I need to slap a big tank and new rear tire on!

tntmo - could you ride up on the Kawi? I (or somebody else) might be able to trailer your dirt moto up there so you'd have a proper bike once in DV.

I've got family in town this weekend for the son's Eagle Scout ceremony, and I have some Desert Dash Damage to repair along with the sick Tiger. Just too much and it is overwhelming me. A weekend in DV would probably be good, but I'd just have my mind on all the rest of the stuff.

John, very cool of you. Count me IN for the group site. DV time is closing in, I need to get into bike prep mode!! I need to slap a big tank and new rear tire on!

tntmo - could you ride up on the Kawi? I (or somebody else) might be able to trailer your dirt moto up there so you'd have a proper bike once in DV.

Excellent, I added you to the list. See you there.

Hey guys, if anyone is up for a short hike (can be done in riding boots) of about 1mile. Darwin falls trail head is only 4 miles from camp, short ride with an easy walk up the canyon and if it's hot out the air temp is around 15* cooler. This is also Panamint's water source.

I'm late to the party, but this sounds fun! Are there many people riding up, or are most trailering "little bikes"? Also, anyone want to split a tent cabin?

Update from my camp:

My father-in-law is 99% in on his plated 450R. My brothers-in-law are 50% in on their plated 426's.

If only my FIL goes, we will mount my bike carrier on his hitch and he'll drive up and I'll ride the GS.

If all of them go we'll get a trailer and trailer all the bikes up. At that point I will have to decide to trailer the GS or the 250. We'll drive my Land Cruiser up.

I *think* I've found the problem with the KTM and have the parts coming Friday to fix it. If it's alive, I may bring it as well.

Tim, if I bring it (and you're up for it) I'd be more than happy to let you ride my 250 for an extended period so you can experience the Rekluse.

I'll most likely bring a tent and borrow a bit of the group space for the BIL's to camp if they come assuming it's still offered. :) FIL will share my tent cabin either way.

Update from my camp:

My father-in-law is 99% in on his plated 450R. My brothers-in-law are 50% in on their plated 426's.

If only my FIL goes, we will mount my bike carrier on his hitch and he'll drive up and I'll ride the GS.

If all of them go we'll get a trailer and trailer all the bikes up. At that point I will have to decide to trailer the GS or the 250. We'll drive my Land Cruiser up.

I *think* I've found the problem with the KTM and have the parts coming Friday to fix it. If it's alive, I may bring it as well.

Tim, if I bring it (and you're up for it) I'd be more than happy to let you ride my 250 for an extended period so you can experience the Rekluse.

I'll most likely bring a tent and borrow a bit of the group space for the BIL's to camp if they come assuming it's still offered. :) FIL will share my tent cabin either way.

They say the group site will handle 30 tents so there is plenty of room. The worst case scenario is that we have to pay something for extra vehicles. Come, camp, and enjoy.

Tim, it would be cool to try the Rekluse for a bit. Darwin Falls has some good dirt and is 5 minutes from our campsites. I need to get my DR650 prepped asap - new ignition switch, 5 gallon tank, dirt oriented rear tire, new rear shock and carb swap (if I have time).

I'm late to the party, but this sounds fun! Are there many people riding up, or are most trailering "little bikes"? Also, anyone want to split a tent cabin?

Welcome to the show! Not sure how many people are riding up but I do know you'll have a blast on your Tiger exploring DV!

I see many of you are tenting. IF I go I will be taking my small toyhauler. Anyone else doing the RV/ toyhauler?

Updated Plan for me.

Head up from San Diego Wednesday at noon. Camp in the group camping area... in a tent... or in my truck if my son doesn't attend.

I plan to bring both my GS and DRZ... best of both worlds... I get to do big bike and small bike stuff...

Looks like I scheduled a day early... so thursday maybe solo for me...

Updated Plan for me.

Head up from San Diego Wednesday at noon. Camp in the group camping area... in a tent... or in my truck if my son doesn't attend.

I plan to bring both my GS and DRZ... best of both worlds... I get to do big bike and small bike stuff...

Looks like I scheduled a day early... so thursday maybe solo for me...

If you would like some company, I will be heading in after some breakfast in Lone Pine Thurs. morning. I am looking forward to meeting all of you. Oh yea, bring a little fire wood if you can. Greg.

I see many of you are tenting. IF I go I will be taking my small toyhauler. Anyone else doing the RV/ toyhauler?

I'm taking my little 6x12 enclosed trailer to haul the bike and sleep in. Maybe a mini version of a toyhauler but she ain't no RV.

I'm taking my little 6x12 enclosed trailer to haul the bike and sleep in. Maybe a mini version of a toyhauler but she ain't no RV.

+1 with cablejockey, no RV. Will be in my van.

I certainly hope so!

Hey, Flexfab- if you had only one full day to ride DV, and you're riding a big bike, how would you spend that day?

I certainly hope so!

Hey, Flexfab- if you had only one full day to ride DV, and you're riding a big bike, how would you spend that day?

Ever been through Titus Canyon? Good road with ONE WAY traffic so you can get a little foolish with few worries. The canyon is amaizing. The ghost town of Rhyolite is just up the road from the turn off. Also, the charcoal kilns and SkiDoo mine are ( by DV standards) on the way also. You could get a fun 200 mile day in with a gas stop at Stovepipe rite in the middle. You get to ride some dirt and the twisties between Stovepipe and Panamint on 190 are always fun. If you are a more "adventurous" soul, and want more dirt. Gholerwash and Mengle pass are in my opinion big bikeable. Thats about 140miles, with almost 1/2 being dirt. My other susgestion for an "adventure" route would be Darwin to Saline valley up Lippincott to the Race track and out to Scotties. And again, no extra gas required. By the way, I would like to thank everyone again for making me feel welcome.

It looks like DV got a significant amount of rain. Should make for epic riding except for the pesky washouts and debris on the roadway. I'm hoping that the road closures are cleared by the weekend. Attached is today's DV's morning report. You can find them each morning at the link below (Morning Report under the Green Features heading). Highs for the weekend should be 70's to 80's on the valley floor 60's at Panamint and 50's in the mountains. I'm almost loaded and ready to go, see you there.

http://www.nps.gov/deva/index.htm

John

Morning-Report.pdf

Things are shaping up nicely. :)

Spent some time yesterday hardwiring an old GPS and getting my drybag packed with all the essentials. And some non-essentials. My new communications setup should arrive today thanks to Amazon Sunday delivery (who knew?) so now I just need to decide which helmet to install it in.

Still debating a new rear tire but the one on the bike is a Tourance at 50% so I think I will just use it up this trip. PMB says we aren't doing anything too crazy on the big bike ride.

Today is the deciding day for the in laws. Haven't heard anything yet. Once final plans are laid for them then I'll put together a gameplan for departure.

Things are shaping up nicely. :)

Spent some time yesterday hardwiring an old GPS and getting my drybag packed with all the essentials. And some non-essentials. My new communications setup should arrive today thanks to Amazon Sunday delivery (who knew?) so now I just need to decide which helmet to install it in.

Still debating a new rear tire but the one on the bike is a Tourance at 50% so I think I will just use it up this trip. PMB says we aren't doing anything too crazy on the big bike ride.

Today is the deciding day for the in laws. Haven't heard anything yet. Once final plans are laid for them then I'll put together a gameplan for departure.

If you don't mind my asking, what are you bringing? Anything in particular? I'm bringing myself, my bike, 2 change of clothes, and some water. And my gopro and a way to charge it. Hopefully my tire repair kit will be here before I leave. And some peanuts as a snack.

I can't think of anything else I'd need... I rented a room so no tent. Anyway, really looking forward to this trip.

GPS & Spot if you have them. Fuel range - strap a rotopax on your rear rack, carry Sprite bottles filled with gas, whatever works just make sure you have enough. Extra tube, basic tools. Functioning headlight (in case you're still out riding into the night - it can happen). Water. A warm jacket.

PSR has a restaurant, store and gas station.

It looks like DV got a significant amount of rain. Should make for epic riding except for the pesky washouts and debris on the roadway. I'm hoping that the road closures are cleared by the weekend. Attached is today's DV's morning report. You can find them each morning at the link below (Morning Report under the Green Features heading). Highs for the weekend should be 70's to 80's on the valley floor 60's at Panamint and 50's in the mountains. I'm almost loaded and ready to go, see you there.

http://www.nps.gov/deva/index.htm

John

I'm glad you saw this John. If you're on Facebook, you can go to Death Valley Road Conditions for conditions WITH comments from folks who have been there recently. Sometimes the "official" reports of impassable really just mean "interesting". I agree with you, the weather report sounds wonderful. One of the things we all can look forward to is reduced dust. And to chrisw...personally, I'd make sure I had a tire repair kit before a change of clothes. I'm bringing a couple of gatorades for back at camp. Protein/energy bars travel well for a snack on the trail. Don't know what kind bike you're riding, I ride a little bike, so I wear a hydration backpack and have a set of Wolfman daytrippers with an enduro dufflebag. In this set up, I have all of my tools, 2 spare tubes and an enduro jacket. If you can, you might want to bring any extra stuff that you think you might need and see how everyone else sets up - then you can leave your extra gear in the room. Everyone sets their bike up differently and you can see what might work for you. Also, if you're hauling or towing up, don't forget a camp chair, bench racing at the end of the day is the best.

Greg