eddie

ADV Bike collision with cop

A u-turn in an intersection? On a red light? Everything I have seen and heard (tough to piece together) it seems the bike had a green light and the police car decided to enter the intersection on a red light to do a U-turn. The guy on the bike laid it down but still ended up dead. Condolences to his family and friends.

A u-turn in an intersection? On a red light? Everything I have seen and heard (tough to piece together) it seems the bike had a green light and the police car decided to enter the intersection on a red light to do a U-turn. The guy on the bike laid it down but still ended up dead. Condolences to his family and friends.

All correct, except the officer had his lights and siren going.

Peace to the rider's family.

Having siren and lights on doesn't make it right. Seems the cop did a u-turn in front of the bike....maybe didn't see the bike.

Wonder what will come of this. A slap on the wrist ?

Sympathy goes out to friends and family.

Having siren and lights on doesn't make it right. Seems the cop did a u-turn in front of the bike....maybe didn't see the bike.

Wonder what will come of this. A slap on the wrist ?

Sympathy goes out to friends and family.

You wont hear any more about it probably.

Prayers for families.

Somebody mentioned on FB that the man on the motorcycle was the owner of Rocket Motorcycles. Maybe because the man's name was Mark McCaffrey....maybe just the same name?

Is it just the same name? Someone mentioned it looked like a Triumph and Rocket is a Triumph dealer.

Somebody mentioned on FB that the man on the motorcycle was the owner of Rocket Motorcycles. Maybe because the man's name was Mark McCaffrey....maybe just the same name?

I'm afraid that it may be Mark; the Rocket FB page has a couple of RIP messages.

I'm so, so sad.

Medical Examiner web site:

Case Number: 13-02625

Name: Mark Griffin McCaffrey City of Residence:

DOB: 05/02/1951 Gender: Male

Place of Death: 7901 Frost Street, San Diego CA

Place of injury: Intersection of Balboa Avenue and Mt. Everest Boulevard, San Diego CA

Date/Time of Death: 11/18/2013 8:21:00 PM Date/Time injury: 11/18/2013 1906

Summary: The decedent was a 62-year-old Caucasian male who on November 18, 2013, was traveling in his motorcycle eastbound on Balboa Avenue within speed limits. At the same time, a San Diego Police Officer initiated pursuit on a suspected hit and run vehicle. With lights and sirens on, the officer made a U turn in front of the decedent. The decedent applied the brakes but was unable to avoid the collision. He was ejected from the motorcycle and the officer radioed for medical help. Paramedics arrived within a short time and the decedent was transported to Sharp Memorial Hospital where advance life support efforts took place. Death was pronounced when the decedent failed to respond.

Cause of Death/Updated Cause of Death: Multiple blunt force trauma

Contributing Conditions: None

Manner: Accident

Investigating Agency: San Diego Police Next of kin notified? Yes

A tragedy for all involved. Deepest condolensces to the family of Mr. McCaffrey. For those out there that assume this will just get swept under a rug or never heard from again, I can assure you that the officer that was involved in this accident is suffering more than anyone can imagine. Please don't turn this tragedy into another bash the cop thread.

Peace,

Mike

I agree Mike, nobody gets out of this unaffected. This is why I don't like to ride on the street to much. Just to much can happen. Driving at night in a busy area, lots of cars, lots of traffic lights. It's just too much to take in every second of every minute of every ride. Turn you head to look at the car on the right and miss someone turning from the left it just happens to fast.

Chris

http://www.dealernew...ket-motorcycles

Ride in Peace: Mark McCaffrey, owner of Rocket Motorcycles

rocketmccaffery.jpg

SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The industry is mourning the loss of Mark McCaffrey, owner of Rocket Motorcycles, who was killed Nov. 18 after his motorcycle collided with a police car in the Clairemont area of San Diego.

According to local officials, the police officer was driving westbound when he received a call to provide backup for a hit-and-run accident nearby. He performed a U-turn in the intersection, colliding with McCaffrey.

McCaffrey reportedly had applied his brakes but crashed into the passenger side of the police car, officials noted. The local medical examiner issued the cause of death as blunt force trauma.

McCaffrey launched Rocket Motorcycles in 1980 as a vintage parts and service business. In 1984 he partnered with a longtime Vincent, Velocette and BSA dealership, and then became a Triumph dealership in 1994. In 2005 he added Husaberg and then in 2010 took on Royal Enfield.

The business was well-known in the Southern California area for its vintage repair and restoration work.

Rocket Motorcycles added Zero electric motorcycles just this past May.

post-14554-021528700 1384961261_thumb.jp

I'm sure the cop feels like crap.

On the other hand, going from a dead stop at a red light to U turn with lights and siren w/o taking reasonable care for those around you is pretty goddamned irresponsible. He SHOULD feel like crap.

Then, of course, there's the officer who spoke to the reporter reminding everyone that the public is responsible for getting out of the way.

Damn shame. Rocket was a quirky store, but I liked it.

A tragedy for all involved. Deepest condolensces to the family of Mr. McCaffrey. For those out there that assume this will just get swept under a rug or never heard from again, I can assure you that the officer that was involved in this accident is suffering more than anyone can imagine. Please don't turn this tragedy into another bash the cop thread.

Peace,

Mike

Mike....this thread is about a "person" who possibly screwed up and the result was the death of a fellow motorcyclist....in this case an owner of a local shop who many of us knew.

In this case that person just happens to be a cop. Its not about cop bashing as u mentioned....its about holding people responsible for their actions....whoever they may be.

+1

Mike....this thread is about a "person" who possibly screwed up and the result was the death of a fellow motorcyclist....in this case an owner of a local shop who many of us knew.

In this case that person just happens to be a cop. Its not about cop bashing as u mentioned....its about holding people responsible for their actions....whoever they may be.

+2 on what KTMrad said...

I'm not sure how many of you have taken an EVOC (emergency vehicle operators course), but lights and sirens only means you are allowed to make exceptions to the law. You still have to exercise reasonable care when taking those exceptions tho.

heads hanging low this week, too many downed socal riders recently... :unsure: I ride everyday and all these guys are in my thoughts... keep doing what we love to do right? :unsure: