SICVIC

Why things happen...

Posting inspired from from one of our own here on the site.

Few days back I was out riding and ran across one of the "regulars" on SDAR. I had not seen him out lately. Upon asking if he had been riding much he informed me that he had destroyed himself a few months earlier at Corral. This just happened to be one of his first rides back on the bike again.

At this point I fired out a million questions. All the answers were the standard you'd expect from someone who blasted a hole into their torso.

One thing he pointed out has really stuck in my head. He said that when he was in the air (still on the bike), and looking down at where he was about to land his thoughts were "I didn't know what to do". For me, even as a last resort I still manage to yell out "I'm gonna die!" *Note This is my system and may not work for you*

I said that it must have happened really fast but he told me that he felt he could have done something; but what?????

It's crazy how fast a situation can go South.

The positive side is that I know He's out riding again. Another lesson learned. Walk away; live to fight another day.

Welcome back Brother

His story sparked my thoughts about how we learn to ride. How do we learn lines? How do we improve our skills? How do we survive apocalypse when It's looking us in the eye?? (Got ottta control for a moment....)

Every person on here could give seven different answers to the above questions. Just say'n

For me to see where I'm making mistakes I use a video camera. I find a stunt or section of trail, then film it. I set up the cam on a tripod and ride through several times. It works great and does not lie.

I have no idea where I'm going with this. Just learning to ride one day at a time I guess.

Photos from the last film session.

Kernan

post-14596-046273200 1378089819_thumb.jp

Trail#1

post-14596-063812000 1378089981_thumb.jp

Trail#1 Rock bump over cam

post-14596-039866900 1378090077_thumb.jp

Trail#3

post-14596-017719700 1378090291_thumb.jp

The challenge is what brings me back day after day.

Thanks Vic it's good to be back!

3 broken/separated ribs, Punctured abdomen, internal and external bruising, Rotator Cuff... Brake pedal through the the side case, bent bars...

$250 for doctor bills, $150 for bike parts, and I still need to replace my bars.

My plan at this time is to slow down till I get better gear, so I will be leading easy/noob rides till I come up with the $$$.

If anyone is interested in easy rides around Pine Valley or Corral Canyon PM me.

Ken

oh btw we will be at the cul-de-sac at 8:00 this morning if anyone wants to go

Great idea Vic,,,,You're the Monster!

I am particularly interested in breaking while airborne. Is that a way " out ".

Your Pupil.

Hey Bags!

(got ur bike cleaned from the last Des ride I hope)

I think of brakes as additional sets of handlebars. They (front and rear) are mainly there to assist with directional change or course correction.

If you're grabbing a fistfull of brake with the sole desire to stop; something bad already happened several seconds back.

Lesson one: Brakes (& throttle) are what navigates you when used against centripetal force.

*Ya 'll gonna think I'm a kook after read'n this*

I speaks da truph!

The science behind "da truph!"

Both the front and rear wheels work like a gyroscope. While spinning they keep you upright (most of the time) and going straight. That's the "can't avoid the object" principle that people like myself demonstrate all too often. By interrupting the rotation of the wheel temporarily and intentionally you can influence the direction of the bike with a more determinable outcome through practice and experience. I don't get a lot of practice, so I don't have the experience.

End nerd moment... Now back to the regularly scheduled cool threads.

Worse Case:

Say for instance, you are elevated 6ft or so in the air travelling toward a ridge or cut perpendicular to the trail. Your from wheel is lower than the rear and you would "prefer" the front higher on impact.

Both wheels are spinning. Would applying rear break to stop rotation help? My default reaction is to follow through or accelerate through the obstacle.

DSCN08811000w-L.jpg

Bagster your default is correct. Accelerate hard and the rear will lower. Hit the rear brake the rear will lift.

Heard a lot about you SICVIC.

What stands out for me is the picture of trail #1 you are looking way ahead. That is looking good! pun intended.

Application of either brake would be wrong in that situation; front being the worst since it would have to skid for a mili-second once hitting the ground again.

That front wheel needs to be rolling for what you're talking about.

Weight back slightly and be ready to do massive front end absorbtion with your arms on impact.

A lot of people would get on the gas to bring that front end up but I always feel bad for the bike when hitting edges hard and for me ripping a handfull of throttle is not a sign of control. (watch any goon vid and you will see what I'm talking about) Control might be the wrong word but often enough; unnecessary.

Weight back (slight) Mild bend at the knees just hovering above the seat, spot the landing and be ready to quickly react to the impact and possible front wheel deflection by using your body to counter balance. A lot going on in half a second or so.

Front end landing is generally the best way to re-enter when applied properly. The photo I attached is a great example. I wish knew how to load the video of it. It shows how smooth front landing is. What the photo does not show is that without landing front end first it would not be possible to make the turn just out of the frame. You can see I'm already looking at it ready to make course corrections once the tire is on the ground.

...says the kid with scars all over his body from failed attempts.....

Oh snap!!!! Suspenders and the sickness are on the same sheet of music. Careful acknowledging anything that I do looks right... They will all think you're a crazy man. Not good for business!! LOL

Accelerate hard and the rear will lower. Hit the rear brake the rear will lift.

cool tip I didnt know that. now I need to spend more time in the air to test that, thanks George.

Accelerate hard and the rear will lower. Hit the rear brake the rear will lift.

cool tip I didnt know that. now I need to spend more time in the air to test that, thanks George.

If you liked that tip, you will love this one....

If your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to learn how to fly....

Great job on the usage of the trash bag in you last ride report!!!!! The Hefty 36 Gal is my number one piece of go to gear for any ride!

Not really form fitting and they do get a little loud at higher speeds but well worth their weight!!!

Great ride rep.

Preparing for the crash is an art and I have much experience.

One bad one rings to mind in an enduro back in Wales in late 80's riding a 85 250 KTM MX, last lap around the forest loop running top 5 overall and no need to push coming down a rocky road with steps jumping off one near the end 5th gear but not pinned, maybe 50mph in the air I noticed the front wheel wasn't aligned with the front mudguard :( Did a quick shake of the bars in the air and the front wheel not responding but flapping in the air, no idea what was going on other than it was going to hurt. Opened throttle to delay the inevitable, landed and was able to carry the front wheel for a while but gravity took over and the wheel came down perpendicular to my motion so the bike stopped dead and I went flying over the bars. Fortunately I must have been at an angle to the trail so landed on nice soft grass, couldn't believe I was so lucky then looked up and saw my bike landing on me. But no injuries I found left front fork leg stanchion had ripped out of the lower mount so had to slowly ride the rest of the loop trying to stay on time but unfortunately not possible as every time I used the front brake it ripped the forks apart with a crash :(

Nice one Dai!!!!!!!!!!! That had to suck knowing what was going to happen when you landed. Great job hitting the grass landing....

I had the right side of my bar snap off while landing a jump one time. Resulted in a sternum plant followed by the most wicked carcass flop ever!

It was awesome.

Just about two months ago at Corral I blew up and from where the bike impacted to where my body stopped measured 53' in distance. No grass involved in that one; dirt and rocks all the way. lol

Quick fun add on you pedal bike guys will like. a long time ago (yes a very long time ago), when hardly anyone went to corral. Myself and some other MTB guys were going down Kernan from the 4 corners (not at Vicspeed but at a good pace). I was on a hardtail with front zoke forks and because of my size I had this really long goose neck handlebar mount (I dont know what you guys call these) Anyway I jumped down one of the drop offs and a super loud snap was heard by me of course but as far away as the lead guy 10 15 yards out front. The neck snapped at the clamp area where its attached to the fork steering stem shaft. I had unattached handlebars in my hand like the 3 stooges with the brake and shifter cables attached. I grabbed the vertical shaft while sort of braking...sort of braking and rode the bike straight into a manzanita bush...never fell down. That was sick,,,, Vic and Bob and others. To this day I have no idea how I didnt completely destroy myself/get impaled by the bike or branches, go over the bars, fall or whatever. I still have trouble trusting bicycles under my tank like heft and unskilled smooth as a bastard file riding technique. I think this qualifies as one of those moments of serious dread at knowing you are toast and huge adenaline spike fright puckers. Cyall soon, with 2 wheels kinda facing down landing on the rubber side. RN

Robert-

I have: lost a front wheel; broken kneecap, separated shoulder, 4 teethe knocked out, cracked orbital, and needed plastic surgery on my lip

Broken stem;face plant but no serious injury

Taco'd front rim; major torso pain but no real injuries

And, of course, the chain @ Jacumba- you're lucky to pull out of that one

Like you, Vic and Dai have all mentioned- curse under your breath, and look for an out

I got a stick jammed in my swingarm coming down Dark Hollow in Brian Head, as I'm in the air, fearing the worst, and looking at my options: tree, boulder, spiny plant, rocky trail.....and I landed in a huge FERN...it felt like a down mattress compared to the other options!

One other thing I feel should mention, once you are SURE you're going down, I think to separate from the bike...lots of things on a bike to poke you, crush you, pinch you.

Push the bike away and concentrate on rolling out of it. Your opinion may differ

Robert... Sometimes riding is 98.75% luck! Loved that story. Always exciting when something breaks off...

Bob... As long as you have the bars you're still in control.

An example of both here in this video. (if the attachment works) or copy and paste.

www.pinkbike.com/video/58469/

*edit* Someone please fix the attachment.... I suck at this stuff.

I love that save near the end I LOL'd brilliant stuff!! The rest was silly, nutty stuff and funny, tow in ramps!!

wha hoppened to that clean cut young Victor lad..... he joined the moto faction.

I love that save near the end I LOL'd brilliant stuff!! The rest was silly, nutty stuff and funny, tow in ramps!!

wha hoppened to that clean cut young Victor lad..... he joined the moto faction.

Yes, I was a respectable child turned to the dark side by Metal Mulisha! Nothing but mayhem from here on out.

Thought you'd get a kick otta the vid.

wha hoppened to that clean cut young Victor lad.....

he was a hippy back then too... just "less" of a hippie

Speaking of hippies; when is the Redbull rampage this year? He's been training, and he has some videos of some pretty good endo's too

crashing really used to hurt less; the ONLY time I wore a helmet was in a legit race... otherwise? dropping off the school roof, jumping over tractor tires, bombing downhills? never

I rode Monday without chest protection or elbow, and I felt very exposed; but man it was hot

Nice video hippy

Forgot to point out that the fork in the video was also a Marzocchi. That said; everything can break.

An example of both here in this video. (if the attachment works) or copy and paste.

Vic's Vid

sans da bheard!

post-14322-073906600 1378262818_thumb.jp

"I heard a wise man say as long as you have the bars you're in control"

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,

And sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveler, long I stood

And looked down one as far as I could

To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,

And having perhaps the better claim

Because it was grassy and wanted wear,

Though as for that the passing there

Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay

In leaves no step had trodden black.

Oh, I kept the first for another day!

Yet knowing how way leads on to way

I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Robert Frost

I wonder if he spun a donut before taking the path less traveled so if he came back that way he would recognize the fork. Maybe its just me.

Unc. C.