PbdBlue

350EXC vs 500EXC

So thinking about consolidating things a bit. Right now I ride an '07 450EXC and an '08 WR450 (both plated). Probably 50/50 dual sport and desert riding and at 60 getting to the point where I'm a bit less aggressive than I used to be. Bottom line thinking about selling both and getting either a 350EXC or a 500EXC to do it all. I'm leaning towards the 350 but there's only 4.5lbs difference between them. Like most things I suspect there's more to the story. Does the 350 feel lighter than it is? Does it have enough grunt to keep me out of trouble?

Opinions????

The question my friend is, Do you want Rip or Drive? (:-)

If I was in town, we could set up a test.

B

I don't mean to steer the theead away but I'd love to hear a comparison of your thoughts on your ktm vs the yammie!

Does it have enough grunt to keep me out of trouble?

Opinions????

I find myself being more cautious lately and the DR650 is not equipped to go fast so it helps keep my propensity for wrist twisting to a minimum. My WR450 egged me on all the time. The DR (with my sorry butt on it) does not like the deep sand but pokes around everything else fine.

'tween the 2 selections, I'd lean toward the 350 and have been eyeing one myself. Just think back to the desert scrambles race scene in "On Any Sunday"......where folks were going faster than I ever will.....on 4-6 inches of suspension travel with low performance machines by today's standards. My guess is the 350 would be plenty.

B

Drive mostly with a little moderate rippin. I ride a lot of mixed trail riding these days. I may take you up on the test ride. I'm not in any hurry. Just thinkin' I've got too much hardware in the stable. Two bikes = more maintenance. I think I'd be very happy on the 350. As for the other gentleman's question regarding WR vs my current KTM. The WR is faster and the suspension a little more confidence inspiring in the whoops\fast desert. That said the KTM is a tractor and in tight single track much easier to handle. The motor in the WR has a much bigger hit off the bottom which translates into more difficulty keeping the back end hooked up in the technical stuff. All in all I find myself gravitating more to the KTM though both are great bikes.

Is the "grey wire mod" done on your WR? C & D did mine with some other upgrades and it changed the characteristic of the bike. More YZish....more hit. Without that mod, it was much more trailable. I didn't mind cuz it spent most of it's life in the desert and the rekluse made trails easier.

I have the 350, and briefly rode Tree's 500. The 500 obviously has way more grunt, and the weight different wasn't even noticeable - but I didn't get to do anything with it where a weight difference might've actually mattered.

I went with the 350, as I was getting frustrated with the weight of the 625, wanted something lighter to learn to ride more technical stuff, and didn't want too much power to get myself in trouble while I was learning.

That being said, I would go with the 500 just for the simple fact that it has one less cam.

I have the 350, and briefly rode Tree's 500. The 500 obviously has way more grunt, and the weight different wasn't even noticeable - but I didn't get to do anything with it where a weight difference might've actually mattered.

I went with the 350, as I was getting frustrated with the weight of the 625, wanted something lighter to learn to ride more technical stuff, and didn't want too much power to get myself in trouble while I was learning.

That being said, I would go with the 500 just for the simple fact that it has one less cam.

All valid points. Just curious if the 350 carries the weight lower? Never felt like I needed more hp than the 450 offered but will the 350 power me through all of my bad riding habits?

Is the "grey wire mod" done on your WR? C & D did mine with some other upgrades and it changed the characteristic of the bike. More YZish....more hit. Without that mod, it was much more trailable. I didn't mind cuz it spent most of it's life in the desert and the rekluse made trails easier.

Right at the moment it does have the grey wire mod. I've owned WR's from 99,01,03,04 and 08. They are great bikes with arguably some of the fastest and most reliable motors. I've ridden them with\without the grey wire, YZ cams, etc. What makes them great in the desert is what's not so great in the tight stuff. The KTM will cruise through a rockbed where the WR is a bit more of a handful. A Rekluse would help I'm sure and if I were planning to keep it something I would consider. In fact it's on my list of addons I want if I pull the trigger on a new KTM.

I have not ridden the 350 yet....But, the only way i can explain my 500 is that it has the low end grunt of my XR650R and the "racy" feel of my CRF all in one package. Awesome bike!

I've ridden both and I'd go with the 500 for the grunt power. 350 felt a tad below the power that I want in a bike. I like low end torque rather than high end rippin.

Just my $0.02

Pbd,

Obviously, you Need to ride both. It is a personal decision. Mine is geared 14/48 for Dual-Sport ( incl. pavement) and is good to go in all but the tightest of situations. With that gearing, the bike starts winding up between 65-70 mph. Normally, I run 13/48 for the desert and straight dirt, which means you can go as fast as you like for short distances. If you want low grunt And high speed cruising, I would use the 500. Personally, I don't have a need to travel at speeds over 65. I just finished two trips totaling 2k miles and had zero issues with power or torque carrying at least 40lbs of camp gear. With normal Mojavi Bags and just water/tools, the 350 power will Not be the limiting factor.

Now some of my pals ( CID ), just loves to Rip with the Power. Wheelies, big speed, all that Baja stuff. The 500 is for him!. You sound like an experience rider who knows what he wants. One ride on the 350 will convince you that the unit has plenty of power, Plus un-paralleled trail handling.

There is no wrong decision here. They are both great bikes.

Bagstr

DSCN02211000w-L.jpg

All valid points. Just curious if the 350 carries the weight lower? Never felt like I needed more hp than the 450 offered but will the 350 power me through all of my bad riding habits?

The 350 has never left me wanting more power on the trail, you just have to be more conscious about keeping the revs in the right place - if I ever start to bog, I just give it a quick clutch pull to get the revs up. I have the XCF-W, which does have a lower final drive ratio than the EXC, though.

B

I think that sums it up pretty accurately.

check out this hill that the 350 goes right up:

Same hill.....me coming back down

KenDownhillJan82011.jpg

On this bad motorscooter. Back to the On Any Sunday reference....

CIMG2109.jpg

I also have been pondering the same question ..... 350 or 500. Many say the 350 is a dream to ride, will do most everything and is less fatiguing. I personally do not require a 500 but I do believe the 500 will last longer than the 350 without having to do the top end. If they had a 450 EXC it wouldnt even be a question. I think no matter which bike you get you would be very satisfied.