Sign in to follow this  
socalhodaka

Great Event at Barona June 8th

SoCalFlyer_zps4912103e.jpg

100% Presents

The SoCal Vintage MX Classic 4

Barona MX Park- Saturday, June 8th 2013

The SoCal Vintage MX Classic is coming up on Saturday, June 8th the at Barona Oaks MX Park. http://www.baronamxtrack.com

There will be classes for all Vintage (‘74 older), Evo (‘76-‘83) and Revo bikes (‘84-‘94) in addition to 2-Stroke (Open) and Modern bike classes for all non-vintage racers. The track layout will be a fun Vet & Vintage friendly course with a longer layout for this race. This is the only Vintage MX race at Barona MX his year, so don’t miss it!

EVENT FEATURES

MX LEGENDS - Come ride and hang out with MX Legends: Marty Smith, Mike Bell, Gary Jones, Darrell Schultz, Marty Tripes, Ron Lechien, Jim Gibson, Doug Dubach, Steve Stackable, Tommy Croft, Mike Beier, Bill Silverthorn, Gary Chaplin, Gary Faxon and many more. There will be a post-race Legends Autograph Session with FREE POSTERS! after the racing.

VINTAGE MX BIKE SHOW - Bring out your vintage bikes to display, as we will be hosting our 2nd Annual Vintage MX Bike Show. The categories are: 1947-1965, 1966-1975, 1976-1986, Minis up to 1986, Sidecars, Best Preserved/Unrestored and Crowd Favorite. Special awards will be given out for 1st and 2nd places. Bike Show entry is FREE!

CLASSES - Vintage, Post-Vintage, 2-Stroke, Modern, Vet and Mini classes.

CA vs. AZ TEAM SHOOTOUT - New for 2013, we will be featuring a California vs. Arizona Team Race, where the 2 teams go head to head in a 2 moto format. The team with the lowest score wins. This will be the 2nd round in the series. The AZ team won the first round in Arizona by one point, so the CA team will be looking for redemption here at round 2.

MARTY TRIPES 100cc WORKS REVENGE - Come see some of the fastest riders in the US on 100cc machines. A very exciting race to watch!

SO CAL CZ CHALLENGE presented by CR High Performance - Also new for 2013, we have added the SoCal CZ Challenge: an all CZ feature race for novice, intermediate and expert riders. One moto format, CZs ONLY!

FALLEN MX HEROES TRIBUTE - Every year we do a ceremonial moto to remember our sports “Fallen MX Heroes”.

ENTRIES - There will be sign up Friday (7th) afternoon and Saturday morning of the race. *OUT OF STATE Riders GET 1/2 OFF THEIR ENTRY FEES! NO PRE-ENTRY.

SPECIAL EVENT TEES - We will have a several special event t-shirts for the race. We sell out every year so we will send out a "reserve me a tee" email in the coming weeks. We will also have hooded sweatshirts. Stay tuned.

CUSTOM MEDALS - Custom awards will be presented for all classes.

PRIZES - We have great prizes from 100%, Maxima, FMF, Thor, Dunlop, SIDI, Race Tech, Sol Republic, Smooth Industries, Motoworld, Julian Hard Cider, Grombomb and much more! Prizes will be drawn randomly to insure all riders have a chance to get something.

POST-RACE BBQ - Post-Race BBQ and bench racing session. Come and hang out with some of the greatest MX racers of all time.

CAMPING - Friday & Saturday night ($10 per night) *We encourage everyone to camp out and have a good time!

SCHEDULE

Gates Open: Friday 12:00am and 6:30am on Saturday

Riders Meeting: 8:45am

Practice: 9:00am

First Race: 10:30am

*NO MEMBERSHIP REQUIRED!

For more information go to: www.SoCalMXClassic.com or call 619-549-2997

I am soooo there

PRESSED THE LIKE BUTTON LIKE 100 TIMES!!! (but dont know if i can make it)

Teaser pics from a past event. Don't know if I can make this one.

DSC_0095.jpg

Kelly's daughter

DSC_0102.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

Kelly

DSC_0063.jpg

Good times.

Looks cool. Hey Kelly do they change the track at all for the vintage event? From what I gather from others (and going there a few times two years ago) is that Barona is kind of gnarly and has some big jumps..

I'll certainly try to be there to spectate and take pictures.

Looks cool. Hey Kelly do they change the track at all for the vintage event? From what I gather from others (and going there a few times two years ago) is that Barona is kind of gnarly and has some big jumps..

They tame it down for this event for sure, and the current track layout isn't super gnarly. There are a few places where the fast guys can launch themselves into orbit, but there is either a bypass or they can be taken as smaller jumps for those of us that have to make it to work on Monday.

Twice in a row when racing there the guy parked next to me went home in the ambulance instead of his own truck - I thought ....hmmmmm

Really looking forward to this vintage race, gotta see a Maico....memories!

Twice in a row when racing there the guy parked next to me went home in the ambulance instead of his own truck - I thought ....hmmmmm

Don't let me park next to you, please!

This is why I race vintage, oh yea every so often someone gets taking away in the ambulance. Vintage is very safe I feel, no 2 ft whoop section, all the jumps are table top and the track pretty much stays rut free. I would say it you have never raced but wanted to try it even if you ride a modern bike a vintage event would be the place to try it. Yes they have modern support classes but the track is very kind. Racing is racing, I bet Frank from CALVMX would even drop in a DS class if we had enough so up. Look this is a premier event right here and you can see many of the older greats race, talk to them and check out some very cool bikes.

I plan on heading over mid to late Sat afternoon......unfortunately the light restoration of the DT125 won't be finished until sometime next week or I would've ridden that over.......I'll probably just hop on my 350 and ride over from my house around 2-3pm house......I want to check out a late race, walk through the bikes on display, snag a bite to eat, and BS with the guys, etc......I think the post race BBQ is at 4:30......

Same here, have to work in AM but heading over after.

Nice to see Dress4Less, AFry, & MCTrails out at the track today

Saw Dirt Dame too but didn't get a chance to talk with her (just saw you walking the track with camera in hand)

Thought this bike was Kelly's but it belonged to another guy......sweet ride

IMAG1917_zps47d79882.jpg

Dress4Less was beside himself once he found this 76 RM250......same bike/year he was given by his folks when he graduated High School (yep, we're old farts)

IMG950257_zps24449ba0.jpg

Visited with Frank briefly.......I should have the DT125 back next week......looking forward to it......

Mucho fun! Couldn't stop watching the races, nothing better the the sound and smell of 2 strokes. Thanks for the cold drink!

Stuff was running long so I had to bale. I ran my first moto and had to leave around 1 knowing by the time my next moto came I would note make it to my next stop in time. I saw Mimi and hope she got a photo of me, she may have been looking for my Hodaka 100cc on the track but I was on my Yamaha 250.

Dress4Less was beside himself once he found this 76 RM250......same bike/year he was given by his folks when he graduated High School (yep, we're old farts)

IMG950257_zps24449ba0.jpg

Wow, cool bike! I had one too. Only bike I have ever had stolen (knock on wood).

Zancat

I missed a lot of people that I should have gotten pictures of. I meet more and more new vintage racing friends each year, and it's gotten to the point that I can't keep track of all of them. I was supposed to take pictures of one of my friends in particular, but with 15 races, I missed a moto or two (and my friend) for drink and lunch breaks, and only stayed for the first set of motos, which ran until well after 3 PM. The event has gotten so big, that something will have to change. I'm glad that the event has become so popular and successful, but the day has gotten too long, and there was almost no parking left when I arrived around 8:45 in the morning. People that had camped there, told me that it was even getting crowded on Friday. The raceway also needs to renovate the "bathrooms of doom". :coolio:

Met up w/ Cdaddy at the event and I was living the 70's all over again...flashbacks every where to the days of Saddleback Park, Carlsbad, Escape Country and the El Toro tracks...it was AWESOME! Ice Cold Corona's, the smell of 2 stroke pre-mix in the air, RM's, Maico's, CZ's, Ossa's, Hodaka's, Penton's, Husky's, did I mention Ice Cold Corona's? Cdaddy introduced me to his buddy Afry and one other friend (name?) who was telling us about a ride he did up to Alaska and back. Also, got to chat with Marty Tripes and Doug Dubach. What a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon.