slagnado

How I almost lost $ 3400.00 on Craigslist

I am a little embarrassed to share this story and am in the hopes that it helps someone else.

A few weeks ago I went to look at a Pathfinder off CL. The guy said he lived in National City and gave me an address. When I got there, it was a big building and you needed to be buzzed in. I called him and he said to meet him in the back of Union Bank parking lot behind the building. I test drove the car and stupidly did not take on the freeway even after the first words out of my my mouth were I want to go on the the freeway. The guy is a story teller which turned out to be all lies. He said he got a DUI, he can't drive, etc. At one point he wants me to see the stereo and I had to tell him I can't drive and check out the features. A few things weren't adding up but I was kind of caught up in the moment of getting the truck.

We return to the bank, agreed on the price and parked it out on the street. He had told me it had a smog certificate and the tags were current. He showed me the paperwork and said he signed it but i didn't really look at it. I didn't even get a receipt. I handed him the money. We had agreed to meet at the bank next day to sign some loan papers. I leave and come back with a friend who follows me home. On the freeway the backend of the car swerved badly a couple of times and I knew it was bad. We drop it off at home and grab food. I have the unsettling feeling I just bought a stolen car. It takes me a few hours to even have the courage to look closely the paperwork, what a mess. The car had been sold in auction twice, hadn't been registered and wasn't smogged. Oh yeah, I don't even have the guys full name, no receipt. I know I am in trouble.

I am not sure what to do so the first thing I do is take the car to my mechanic. I usually take anything I buy to Chris at Central Automotive first. I call Triple A and find out the cost of registering it. I call the police to see if it is stolen, it's not. I contact an SDAR member for advice. He does a quickly google search and finds that that he has sold 8 cars this month, has a web business and a National City address. He said he won't be too hard to find. He suggested I call and ask for money back or tell him we can do it the long way where I call the police for the stolen tags and if he is selling auctioned cars and not paying sales tax then it is fraud. I make the call, say exactly that and he agrees to give me my money back. We agree to meet at the mechanic's that afternoon. He offered to drop the price by $ 400.00 to cover the registration and tells me has another buyer and wants to meet earlier. I tell him there is more wrong with the car then he disclosed and I don't trust him, there is no deal I just my money back. He shows up a $ 100.00 short and offers to come Monday with the money or a check. My mechanics laughs at him. I take the check, I want the contact information off the check. He tries to ask my mechanic what is wrong with the car, Chris tells him come by Monday with $ 80.00 and he will look it over.

Had not been for the help of SDAR member, Trophy Hunter I know I would not have gotten my money back. SPECIAL thanks to TH for his advice and help.

Beware on CL of a guy selling cars in National City. if you want his name and number, PM I am not comfortable posting it. His initials are G.V. and his number is 619-634-xxxx(see top of text ). I filed a complaint with the DMV in hopes to get this guy stopped. I know I got very very lucky to get my money back.

post-13968-058446500 1365997761_thumb.jp

post-13968-011045300 1365997804_thumb.pn

I guess that's one reason that I decided to buy my SUV from a SDAR member. I wasn't really looking to buy a red car, or a Dodge Durango....but decided to buy from a "known" person. The car was inexpensive, as inexpensive as a car of its type and year model can get and still be in running shape, so I purchased it and then added some fresh trim and had the front end rebuilt. The car is still running great today, and has been a trooper for two years of Desert Dash EMT service and pulling the toyhauler over hill and dale.

I hope you find a good deal soon.

Thanks for sharing, maybe you will save someone from future heartache.

That is a crazy story but awesome outcome. I hate all the scams, and low ballers you find out CL.

Glad it all worked out. Nice job TH. My wife is always worried that I will get robbed by one of the sellers on CL. I go to far out places. Be safe people.

Arnie, you prompted the post. I didn't sleep that night knowing I gave my money away to a total stranger. The reason I asked GV to do the loan the next day after paying him cash is I wanted to give the money to my sister. Dirt Dame, I am looking to either buy a car from someone I know or get it from Stephanie at Poway Honda, where I bought my last car. I am willing to pay more for that peace of mind and be more objective moving forward.

Thx for sharing, Sondra. We've all been "caught up in the moment" and not done our due diligence at one point or another. Not only did Gabe outright lie to you about the current registration and other things, he stole the 2013 tag off of somebody elses vehicle. Now that person has to go to DMV and pay for a new one. Each year tag is numbered - see pic - and easily traceable to the true owner & the license plate it's supposed to be on. A little wheelin' & dealin' is expected when buying anything but outright theft by deception is over the top.

Gabe is Still out There

Just for the record, he completed 3 felony crimes and an assortment of lower end violations during the transaction. DMV is working on it and I'll follow up in a few weeks.

Just happy it worked out.

We've all been "caught up in the moment" and not done our due diligence at one point or another.

Not me.

When I bought a car for my daughter from Dirt Dame I knew I was dealing with a very shady character. Luckily my daughter made her an offer she couldn't refuse and the deal went down cleanly and no further action was needed.....from what we have seen DD is still operating all around the San Diego County and even as far as Riverside County. ;)

PS thanks for posting this thread, there is no embarrassment in relation to scammers or edge of the law crooks, awareness is a good thing glad you got it all squared away.

Thanks Sondra for sharing and yeah, that trophy guy is worthy