kkug

Bikepacking Show and Tell -Overnighter at Toro Peak

Y'all have fun Up on the mountain. I'm out of town or I would be contributing to the confusion. Just remember to use the Buddy System in case of difficulty.

Oh, the Buddy System = Watch Out for your Buddy. biggrin.gif

1366342868[/url]' post='149870']

Y'all have fun Up on the mountain. I'm out of town or I would be contributing to the confusion. Just remember to use the Buddy System in case of difficulty.

Oh, the Buddy System = Watch Out for your Buddy. biggrin.gif

I will take the fifth on this one.

So far I've busted a tent pole on my ~20yr old Walmart tent and discovered my fat boy sleeping bag is NOT going to fit into the Coyote.....and I haven't even pushed back from the driveway yet :blink::axehead: .........at least I have a new chair to sit in when my tent collapses :heh:

1366380727[/url]' post='149888']

So far I've busted a tent pole on my ~20yr old Walmart tent and discovered my fat boy sleeping bag is NOT going to fit into the Coyote.....and I haven't even pushed back from the driveway yet blink.gifaxehead.pngheh.gif

You are doing better than me even with this issues as I have nothing no tent no bed no sleeping bag no cooking stuff but the bike is ready it's a DRZ I only start it the day I am going riding and it never failed me. You have the coyote bag, I don't have anything to carry the gear after I buy it...... I think I am going to strap everything on the back of my bike and go.I talk to ken and he keeps telling to come to the class first then decide what to buy

class first then decide what to buy

That's a good strategy.......I'll probably pick up a new tent and who knows what else......maybe I'll splurge and get the $31 tent at Kmart to replace my $20 tent from Walmart? :crazy::heh:

I was able to get away with my Walmart tent/mondo bag/etc. when camping off my "street" bike years ago.....need to downsize for the 350F-XCW.....small bike = smaller footprint in terms of gear.....

http://www.rei.com/product/794957/rei-lightweight-compression-stuff-sack

Compression sack "May" help

So far I've busted a tent pole on my ~20yr old Walmart tent and discovered my fat boy sleeping bag is NOT going to fit into the Coyote.....and I haven't even pushed back from the driveway yet blink.gifaxehead.png .........at least I have a new chair to sit in when my tent collapses heh.gif

class first then decide what to buy

That's a good strategy.......I'll probably pick up a new tent and who knows what else......maybe I'll splurge and get the $31 tent at Kmart to replace my $20 tent from Walmart? :crazy:/>/> :heh:/>/>

I was able to get away with my Walmart tent/mondo bag/etc. when camping off my "street" bike years ago.....need to downsize for the 350F-XCW.....small bike = smaller footprint in terms of gear.....

Coleman Sundome + REI compression sack = $55 of good small setup.

Great News -Santa Rosa Rd is open --We are going to be Happy Campers.

Now I checking on where to get a fire permit without going to Idwilde.

Would we need a fire permit for a fire log? My plan was to try and pack 1/2 of log for a small fire.

CiD

Back in on the camping. We'll see if I can the rest of Sat AM rolled into Sunday PM.

Would we need a fire permit for a fire log? My plan was to try and pack 1/2 of log for a small fire.

CiD

Yes --I am now on a mission to get a fire permit.

Would I need to get an adventure pass to camp with yus?

Weather reports suggest the low of 37.

37?

That's like, you know- cold.

Surely we don't sleep outside in the cold....

Would I need to get an adventure pass to camp with yus?

Can of worms - short answer - if the site is improved then yes.

If you don't have one and you get caught I hear the penalty is to send proof that you bought one - so some wait till they get caught. Some team up with another camper and buy the "second vehicle pass" for $5 more - not in the spirit of the law but now it's only $15 each. Some feel it is double taxation and refuse to do anything. Some just buy the pass and hope the money goes to keep the NF's nice for us.

What is an improved site? Thought you would never ask....

Standard Amenity Fee Area are authorized under Section 3(f) of the legislation. This section defines "Standard Amenity Recreation Fees" and states that such fees can be collected in an area that provides significant opportunities for outdoor recreation and has substantial Federal investments. The agency must be able to collect fees efficiently in the area, and the area as a whole must contain the following amenities:

• Designated developed parking
  • Permanent toilet facility
  • Permanent trash receptacle
  • An interpretive sign, exhibit, or kiosk
  • Picnic tables
  • Security services

The legislation gave the agencies broad authority in establishing "areas", so the Forest Service developed implementation guidelines to ensure national consistency. Under the guidelines, "areas" may only be established where there is heavy recreation use. The use, and associated impacts, maybe uneven through out the greater "area", and need not be tied to specific sites within the area. In order to avoid multiple fees, the fee charged is for the recreation use of the entire area rather than for individual amenities or activities. Evidence of having paid the fee is by properly displaying a valid recreation fee pass. These would include a valid Adventure Pass, or an America the Beautiful Interagency Pass or either a Golden Age or Golden Access Passport upon the parked vehicle.

The prohibition on collection of fees in dispersed recreation areas contained in Section 3(d) has led some to believe that fees are only authorized in specific developed sites. This is incorrect. The prohibition applies only to dispersed areas with low or no investment. Collection of fees in areas where heavy investment is needed to address impacts is specifically authorized as a Standard Amenity Fee in Section 3(f).

In identifying the SAFAs, managers of the southern California National Forests carefully evaluated each area within the forest to determine the locations where significant public use is occurring and where significant investment is needed to manage recreation impacts. Each location was then further evaluated to ensure that the area had the six amenities required by the legislation, and that the area could be understandably described with clearly identified boundaries and access points.

Thinking I'll split from Ramona around 10ish and be in Kugville sometime between 10:30-11 depending on route....

Is there a planned route (tracks) from Casa de Kug to (?). Is there a name/waypoint I can drop in my GPS for the campground?

I see Thomas Mtn Campground here: N33.62280 W116.68081

Thomas Mtn, Ramona, and Tool Box campground are all located off Thomas Mtn Rd....is that synonomous with Santa Rosa?

I also see a Forest Rd. 7s02 that a "Santa Rosa Campground" is located on......is THAT where we're headed? (N33.54169 W116.46581)?

Has anyone ridden up the Jim Truck Trail off 371?

Doe sanyone know if the Ramona Trail off Table Mtn Truck Trail is open to riding?

Afry - checked out the Coleman Sundome....looks like my Walmart special.......I'll go with Wally World tomorrow and then take a look around at what different folks are packing/using.......

I bought a REI stuff sack......the Big Agnus "Park" series bags are just kinda big (even in the stuff sack).....no biggie to strap bag/tent to back of Coyote....

Just noticed this post. I should read the forums more...

I wont make it to the morning show but i 'should' be able to make the ride. Tentative for now. I'll let you guys know.

OK I got a fire permit. No we do not need a Adventure PassPass.

Now I get to ride back home.

Is there a planned route (tracks) from Casa de Kug to (?). Is there a name/waypoint I can drop in my GPS for the campground? I see Thomas Mtn Campground here: N33.62280 W116.68081

Thomas Mtn, Ramona, and Tool Box campground are all located off Thomas Mtn Rd....is that synonomous with Santa Rosa?

I also see a Forest Rd. 7s02 that a "Santa Rosa Campground" is located on......is THAT where we're headed? (N33.54169 W116.46581)?

Doe sanyone know if the Ramona Trail off Table Mtn Truck Trail is open to riding?

Organizer dry.gif

For budget reasons, I had to choose a camp chair or a jetboil.

I hope someone will be willing to heat some water for me....

I will heat you...........r water up. Just got back from Big 5 with my can-o-gas for the micro stove.

Great!

That way, should I not freeze to death, at least I'll have a cuppa tea and some freeze-dried food.

For budget reasons, I had to choose a camp chair or a jetboil.

Shoulda bought a fifth of whiskey instead and you wouldn't need any of that other crap.

Ok we got the required permits to go .Took a little bit of legwork.But it will be well worth it.

IMG_20130419_135535_416-L.jpg

Thinking I'll split from Ramona around 10ish and be in Kugville sometime between 10:30-11 depending on route....

Is there a planned route (tracks) from Casa de Kug to (?). Is there a name/waypoint I can drop in my GPS for the campground?

I see Thomas Mtn Campground here: N33.62280 W116.68081

Doe anyone know if the Ramona Trail off Table Mtn Truck Trail is open to riding?

Afry - checked out the Coleman Sundome....looks like my Walmart special.......I'll go with Wally World tomorrow and then take a look around at what different folks are packing/using.......

I bought a REI stuff sack......the Big Agnus "Park" series bags are just kinda big (even in the stuff sack).....no biggie to strap bag/tent to back of Coyote....

Chris --We are going to the Yellow Post sites up Santa Rosa Rd. I do have a way point for the road. But not for the campsites. We will have to pick one two when we get their . They are first come first served.

I could do a GPS track but it would take me 5 hr to do it. Could you do one up -you know the usual threw black canyon ,Warner Springs , Past Indian Flats camp ground, to Anza, circle K for Gas and Beer,snacks, then it is to the junction of the 371 and the 74. Then right and go approx 5.3 miles to Santa Rosa rd. do not take the road to the Indian Res that you come to first.

Then up the road till we find a good campsite.

If you could help me with that it would be much appreciated.