Goofy Footer

A-Frame PopUp Campers

I'm seeking info and opinions on used A-frame pop-up campers -- Aliner and Chalet in the $3,500 - $4,500 range.

I have a pickup to haul bikes and to tow the camper with. Last summer my gf and I spent a (non moto) week in the Sierras in the back of my Tacoma with regular shell. It was nice for 4x4 (we went up Silver Canyon in route to hiking White Mtn) but a tad snug with all the gear/food. I could always upgrade to a larger camper shell or keep my current one but an A-Frame popup camper would be a huge jump in size/comfort. I also like that I can simply unhook an Aliner and store it in the backyard (faster than removing a large camper shell).

I believe older Chalet's are wood frame vs aluminum for the Aliner. The actual designs haven't changed much over the years. Both models are very similar and have good club/forum support. I think most Aliners have the Dexter Torflex torsion suspension - Chalet apparently has now started using that as well. Both companies have "off-road" versions. I like the Sport sized 12ft Aliners but they seem to be very hard to come by used.

I Don't Need one, but it would be nice for beach camping weekends, Yosemite and moto outings. As I plan my summer vacations the camper itch keeps creeping back.

Here is an example of an older one '95 for sale in Scottsdale that just had the suspension redone - $3,900

3E23M13ob5Eb5Ke5Med1e9cedb20633181091.jpg

pa140006.jpg

More mods

FJ_Loaded_Up.jpg

Camping_Trailer_Drivers_Side.jpg

The ultimate

fuso-121a.jpg

I had a regular tent trailer and thought they were great... unfortunately, I couldn't keep the Alpine mice out of mine... had to refurbish/seal exterior holes twice

finally gave up... motorcycle in the truck bed, mountain bikes and kayaks and surfboard on the trailer... AWESOME way to explore the southwest

Those are some rather nice trailers...plus 2 on what bikeslut said though. I used to have a tent trailer as well and loved it everytime we went camping. Tow easy, easy to modify and hall extra stuff, bikes in back of truck. Only problem came was when we added more bikes/atv's...kind of hard towing 2 trailers, but we are thinking of either getting another one again just for camping and doing dual sport rides. Either way I don't think you can go wrong with a tent trailer, I really like that a frame one though.

They rent the A-liner campers on the Navy base, a few friends have brought them out to the desert and they are nice for the size/weight. If the whole family didn't ride, I would like one of these for simple two person camping. My wife demands the luxury that our almost 20 year old mobile mansion RV provides, though.

Dsfox and CaptCham both have these, and I believe are +1 with them. They are both in Death Valley this W.E.

They will certainly chime in next week.

B

Also Maniac bought one last year.

I really liked the idea of having one after seeing one at the Desert Dash two years ago.

100_0444.jpg

It was more substantial and protective than a tent trailer, but small enough and light enough to pull with my Ranger....but I finally went with something that had just a few more features that I was looking for, otherwise I'd have bought one.

Absolutely Love it....tows well with my tacoma (mine weighs about 2000 lbs). amazing protection in weather and wind...stable, efficient.

After seeing steve's, then Ians brand new forest river....I knew that was what I wanted....thanks to our resident craigs list guru, trophyhunter found this one for me....

I paid $3900...super clean interior, ...fridge, stove, heater, dual propane tanks.

I love the opening window in the back ,and mine has a shower....and lots of windows..... .(great options many don't have).

I did have to replace the propane lines, and recently the inverter went out...previous owner was a hacker.......both pricey repairs, but most others were way more money or none to be found.

Tough to find in your price range, as they keep their values well.....You are welcome to come by and look at it any time...call me...

P1000767.jpg

P1000761.jpg

P1000758.jpg

P1000766.jpg

P1000765.jpg

and mine has a shower....and lots of windows.....

hmmmmmm....shower with windows :coolio:

I saw one on an RV lot today next to Millers towing on old hwy 8 in Flinn Springs, no idea of price, options etc.

They are awesome. You will love it. Easy to tow (only drops my mpg by 2), easy to store, easy to maintain. Faster setup than a tent. If you can find one in the price range you mention, jump on it. Any of these under $5k go very fast. I was planning to keep a long time so I went new. If buying new, Forest River is the clear choice. About 6-8 grand cheaper than the comparable Aliner or Chalet. All RV's will have maintenance issues, these will just have less, because there is less to go wrong.

143659207.jpg