Goofy Footer

Dirtbike Handlebar Workout Bars

I've started a new job where I spend my days in a cubicle. I haven't been able to ride lately and time to exercise is precious. Why not do it in the cube! I got the Perfect Pushup for Christmas and have been using it daily in my cube. I plan on bringing in some light dumbbells and a resistance band. I've researched these two Moto Fitness tools and like them both. Read/watch below:

transformx.jpg

thumb-BFSGWAAAATX2R.jpg

I really like the concept behind these bars. The TransforMX ones are very versatile as you can do pull-ups and push-ups on them. They even can hook up to a Concept2 rowing machine. They can be found here Shop Link for $150

There is another (possibly a knock off in some respects) is the LinemanMX pushup bar. You can only do pushups with the bar (unless you installed eyebolts to the end of the handlebar and you could incorporate TRX type body weight/band exercises. They retail for $110 shipped Shop Link.

1300794053.jpg

The Lineman MX bars look like your standard "takeoff" stock steel handlebars with an obtuse half pipe welded to the bottom. There are a lot of talented guys (and gals) on this forum. How difficult/easy would it be to make one? Thoughts on buying the TransforMX?

i've got a take-off handlebar that i could use for something like this... no way that product is worth $150. I might just make the base piece out of wood. Hell if Vic can use carpentry to make himself a trickle down compression tester, then surely I can employ my (lack of skill) to create a push-up bar.

good for you, that a boy!!!

i've got a take-off handlebar that i could use for something like this... no way that product is worth $150. I might just make the base piece out of wood. Hell if Vic can use carpentry to make himself a trickle down compression tester, then surely I can employ my (lack of skill) to create a push-up bar.

pretty cool.....hope to see you out there soon tim...

hahaha picturing you in your short sleeve dress shirt doing the perfect pushup in ur cube

Don't waste your money. You can do pushups already and a steel waterpipe and 4 inches of 2X4 is a lot cheaper.

@bboyle9 - I've been doing 100 a day in my cube - tucking my tie into my shirt and pacing my breathing (ie no grunting in the office)

@CalNub - any interest in partaking in a little R&D?

I'm also interested in making a DIY "TRX" suspension fitness system with moto straps and carabiners. It would be cool to weld in or thread in some eye bolts to the end of the handlebars (like the TransforMX bars) for even more moto exercises. I hadn't thought about making the base from wood. What's the best way to attach the steel handlebars to a wood base? Gorilla glue?

Don't waste your time. I've already thought about doing the moto handlebar thing. Based on the pictures from the two products above and my conceptual analysis, having handlebars to work out on will not help you improve your fitness for riding. 1. Never when you are riding do you push up from above the bars in manner resembling a push up as depicted in the photo and video above. Actually push ups are pretty poor exercise for overall fitness. 2. Never in your riding will you hang from the pull up position from the handlebars mounted on your motorcycle. If you are, you're pretty much toast anyway so no amount of pull ups is going to help you.

The best exercise you could do would be a seated row. Unfortunately to perform a seated row with the handlebars attached to a cable resembling the set up on the motorcycle would required a large structure attached to the front of the bars to prevent them from rotating downward when pulling on the cable.

As Crawdaddy has mentioned in the past, "you want to ride the motorcycle from your feet up, not your head down". That places the control of your motorcycle in your legs. So do squats, lunges, deadlifts, stiff legged deadlifts, cleans and regular old pull ups on a straight bar or rings. If you have rings do some ring dips too. Kettlebell swings are delightful when paired with the above exercises. But give your pecs a break. The're a pretty useless muscle group for anything outside attracting the opposite sex. And really the only time you'll use your pecs on a motorcycle is a very long slow, steep, descent when you're pushing yourself off the gas tank (onto the gas tank for KTM690 and BMW450 riders).

In the end what they are selling above is another fitness gimmick.

I like the TRX thing. That's a decent home fitness tool, but doesn't work your legs and really just simulates a set of gymnastics rings. Here are some that you could order for $35. If you need any help with the above exercises I'd be glad to show you and help with form. As some of you know I've been laid off and don't have much else to do.

those rings must need to be installed in the rafters for those of us that are not vertically challenged :unsure:

Good set of stretchy bands- think surgical tubing- will give you a lot of cubicle options as well.