Bagstr

Chilly White-CDC on ADV Bike Obesity

Dont even know where to start..............

I had the choice of the 530 or 990 for this trip

Last year at Bar10 I rode the 530 with a few extended days in utah with Strega & PB and truly enjoyed every minute of it (at least the riding part)

Not knowing the condition of the trails or the crowd I was riding with initially, it made sense to ride the 530

I had already taken the 990 to Glacier Park at that point, with minimal aggressive riding experience and was still getting used to the bike and completely overwhelmed by its power

one year later with of lots of training on the big bike I felt confident enough to take my chances

Overall: if I were to do the trip again tomorrow, I would be pulling out the 990 for another run - no questions asked

percentage wise (IMHO) 88% of was big bike friendly 11% you had to step it up a little and theres always the 1% of unsure.gifunsure.gifunsure.gif

It was fun hearing over the radio the small bikes warning the big bikes of dangers ahead glad I was able to entertain here and there

Just wish I was a little stronger cause when that bike goes down after a few hundred miles its gets heavy quick.... as CID was very patient with our departure from the river overlook........wacko.gif

post-14289-058431200 1350966586_thumb.jp

Back to Chilly White at Enduro360.com http://www.enduro360...esity-epidemic/

A discussion of where Adventure Riding started, where it is and where he would like it to go.

"Better yet, give us a KTM 800 with some real street (and dirt) credibility. Now that would be a revolution to the ADV status quo. When I tested the BMW 800GS a couple of years ago, I was impressed with the motor. While it was a tad short on personality, there was no denying how well it worked for nearly every situation. Now give me that kind of power with some KTM style. Let's take back the middle class!"

RD's mention of "Picking it Up" brings back memories. ( That I don't want to repeat ) The bike did everything great, but the worry of the, "drop and pick" gives a guy real pause. I think he hit it with the call that the bike is great for That Trip. No shortage of "Lookin' Good" with that Big KTM.

As to Dreamers, Sign Me Up. I am there. laughingsmiley.gif

As to driving home from Mesquite in the truck, I will take that every time. smile_anim.gif

RD's mention of "Picking it Up" brings back memories. ( That I don't want to repeat ) The bike did everything great, but the worry of the, "drop and pick" gives a guy real pause.

I put the link to Chilly's blurb up on the WR250R Mega Thread on ADV Rider yesterday......a response posted today:

I bought mine to ride the CDR solo. I needed something small enough to pick up by myself. After setting it up for long distances' date=' I found it just as comfortable as my KTM 950A. As a result, I ride it like I rode the 950. Plus I found I can handle more technical terrain without a lot of drama. I sold my 950 and replaced it with a new 690R set up exactly like the 250. It's probably the most powerful production single made. Very fast. But I think the little Yamaha is more comfortable and I am happy to cruise in the 60's rather than the 70's.[/quote']

So, can we agree to have Slightly Different opinions? We are all making the right choice. No need to defend.

It is fun to think there may be the one perfect bike for all seasons, but we know better. Personally,

I enjoy the Passion we show for our rides. That's why we are here!

king.gif

We are all making the right choice. No need to defend

Agreed. As with most of us, my passion is restrained by my limited budget. If our budgets were unlimited I bet we'd all have garages like Jay Leno's! :heh:

I'm carrying a much smaller inventory now that the kids are out of the house and I sold all my street bikes.....that's allowed me to have a few dualsports in the garage rather than being forced to settle on one "do it all" dualsport.....my paltry budget has allowed me to stay somewhat diversified in "dualsport mission statement/mfg" without breaking the bank - 1 Yamaha (Dualsport/ADV "traveler"), 1 KTM (Dualsport/technical terrain), 1 Honda (Dualsport family toy), 1 Suzuki (Dualsport family toy (AZ. street plated quad))

I bought mine to ride the CDR solo. I needed something small enough to pick up by myself. After setting it up for long distances' date=' I found it just as comfortable as my KTM 950A. As a result, I ride it like I rode the 950. Plus I found I can handle more technical terrain without a lot of drama. I sold my 950 and replaced it with a new 690R set up exactly like the 250. It's probably the most powerful production single made. Very fast. But I think the little Yamaha is more comfortable and I am happy to cruise in the 60's rather than the 70's.[/quote']

Well, that settles it.

If an anonymous someone named Pantah on a WR forum says it's the right decision, well then we should all run out and buy WRs.

[the above comment is intended to be a needle at my friend Chris, and not as snarky as it reads]

Well, that settles it....If an anonymous someone named Pantah on a WR forum says it's the right decision, well then we should all run out and buy WRs.

[the above comment is intended to be a needle at my friend Chris, and not as snarky as it reads]

HA!, wait a minute now, I'm not "Hammering" on a specific mfg's bike(s) or stating that everyone should buy a certain mfg's bike(s).......

I'm glad more folks are coming into the ADV/Dualsport fold and I don't really care what bike they're riding :wacko:

I only dropped in that quote from the WR250R thread because Bag's pointed out that lifting the big KTM was a concern to him......likewise, it was also a concern to Pantah who opted for a smaller bike for ADV use for the reasons he stated....

I only dropped in that quote from the WR250R thread because Bag's pointed out that lifting the big KTM was a concern to him......likewise, it was also a concern to Pantah who opted for a smaller bike for ADV use for the reasons he stated....

Easy solution is just start working out more and be in better shape :torch::lol:

Easy solution is just start working out more and be in better shape :torch::lol:

Well.....hmmmm.......no, not exactly :blink:

Like I said, I don't really care what bike anyone else chooses for ADV use......

In fact, I'm GLAD so many folks prefer big bikes......some trails might become crowded if the word got out about the versatility of the "Less is More" path to ADV FUN ;):D

Mammoth11ST3.jpg

"Better yet, give us a KTM 800 with some real street (and dirt) credibility. Now that would be a revolution to the ADV status quo. When I tested the BMW 800GS a couple of years ago, I was impressed with the motor. While it was a tad short on personality, there was no denying how well it worked for nearly every situation. Now give me that kind of power with some KTM style. Let's take back the middle class!"

I have one, it's a KTM 620 Adv :) The 640 is great as well.

I've taken my big bike in places it shouldn't be, and have been pretty pissed at myself for doing so. Just imagine where that bike could go if the rider actually had some skill? :P

It's one thing to say, "I love this bike and here's why!"

It's another to say, "What you're doing isn't adventure riding and isn't fun." I don't agree with posts like this at all, ever.

We’ve I've taken the my big bike in places it shouldn't be, and have been pretty pissed at ourselves myself for doing so. Just imagine where that bike could go if the rider actually had some skill? :P

Fixed :rolleyes::heh:

We’ve I've taken the my big bike in places it shouldn't be, and have been pretty pissed at ourselves myself for doing so. Just imagine where that bike could go if the rider actually had some skill? :P

Fixed :rolleyes::heh:

That may be true :)

That rocky uphill climb by Bar 10, with 5.5 gallons of gas in the tank, after 8 days of riding, was NOT the best idea in the world. I should have just gone the easy way.

Like I said, I don't really care what bike anyone else chooses for ADV use......

In fact, I'm GLAD so many folks prefer big bikes......some trails might become crowded if the word got out about the versatility of the "Less is More" path to ADV FUN ;):D

Chris, it was a joke.

Mammoth11ST3.jpg

I don't think that old,fat, bald guy in the left of the picture could pick up a 25 pound mountain bike if it fell over let alone a 300# dual sport.

CiD

I don't think that old,fat, bald guy in the left of the picture could pick up a 25 pound mountain bike if it fell over let alone a 300# dual sport.

CiD

I agree (since it's NOT me) :heh:

CiD

He's a pretty hip character.

ohmy.gifblink.giffriends.gifdrinks.gif

He's a pretty hip character.

I see what you did there.

Adventure Ride

Yeah.

That's the stuff I really don't enjoy.

Looks like that hell they call Flagstaff.

I get it- it's beautiful and interesting, and I understand the appeal. But I'm too lazy for that kind of work. I also don't run triathalons, ride two laps around Noble Canyon, or paddle from O'side to Mexico for fun.

Does this mean I don't have to buy a WR now?

Guest Crusty

well if were going to add pictures.

I agree with Randy, "a good dualsport you can ride from your house and don't need a truck.

You could ride a WR 250, XR 650L or a KTM 990 from anywhere to Ocatillo Wells

But you could climb this hill on the XR!

The weekend I climbed this hill I rode here from Carlsbad, with full camping gear.

Craig.

IMG_2912-1.jpg

My campsite at O.W.

2-1-08Ocatillowellsbiketrip007.jpg

I was living it up.

2-1-08Ocatillowellsbiketrip008.jpg

Does this mean I don't have to buy a WR now?

I think it means you enjoy a style suited for bigger more comfortable bikes for long trips through Utah, around the Grand Canyon, etc.

"KTM is targeting BMW," and vice versa big time, reffering to both the BMW and (BMW)Husqvarna lines of ADV machines.

"KTM is targeting BMW," and vice versa big time, reffering to both the BMW and (BMW)Husqvarna lines of ADV machines.

I think both of these brands are targeting the same demo

While Suzuki (V Strom) and Yamaha (Tenere) have dipped a toe in that water, they are not committed to the real ADV enthusiast. They are more the dreamers that aren't monetarily committed, like the look, and think they might like to try it some day

The KTM and BMW may attract some of the more committed riders. I really like that they are going about the same task in different ways... engine configurations, styling, "focus"... pretty good time to be an ADV guy

Lame conversation on here actually. Calling big bikes posers is just so stupid. Many would call small bikes being hauled posers as well. All stupid. Also the BMW VS KTM is outdated as well. Reminds me of ADVRider where the forum is organized between KTM and BMW with everyone else clumped into beasts. Triumph is coming on strong as well as Yamaha. Lots of us refuse the outdated ADV view of KTM and BMW. I don't want either. Neither brand suits my needs of a reliable ADV bike i can rack up tons of miles of commutes and still is fun on the dirt roads. Keep areguing about bike bikes and small bikes and KTM VS BMW and out.