Bagstr

Chilly White-CDC on ADV Bike Obesity

Chilly has an incitefull discussion on the state of the middleweight ADV.

Chilly has an incitefull discussion on the state of the middleweight ADV.

Please post a link for interested minds that are to stupid to figure out how to find this our-self (yes I mean me).

As someone who has owned almost all the big AdV bikes, I can say I really agree with the author. I have enjoyed the big twin cylinder bikes, but they are just not good offroad, and they are too fragile amd expensive. Great street bikes, yes. I miss the days of loading up my old KLR and setting off across country. At 350 lbs or so, the KLR is about the largest bike I actually want to ride off the beaten path.

KTM is targeting BMW, but both brands are targeting the poser type rider.

I think "poser" may be abit harsh

I think they are looking for affluent buyers that are looking for the "dakar" feel/purpose. Yeah; most of them will never ride the long way down, and many may never get a tire dirty. That doesn't necessarily make them posers...I'll refer to them as "dreamers"

As long as they don't bash my choices...

(Ex-V strom Rider)

"Dreamers" Catchy, What would we all have been doing if not dreaming. king.gif

349924695_Pvvg8-L.jpg

474281171_ZAQGJ-L.jpg

Seems like a lot of folks buy the Big ADV bikes so they can take a passenger in comfort on mild off road excursions and/or cruise along at ~80+mph on the slab in comfort....I've gladly sacrificed some comfort and top end speed for "Anywhere" access/rideability.

In fact, I just geared my WR250R down a bit more because it's primarily used off road and I wanted a tad more low end torque......my absolute top end is probably below 75mph now and I could care less :whistle: ......I spend most of my time riding off road between ~25-50mph and I feel no need to go beyond ~60mph on the street or the dirt......and the WR250R will cruise along ALL day, loaded with bags, at ~60mph.....that's all "I" need........reach destination, drop bags, and ride "Anywhere/Anything"......including many obstacles/trails that would eliminate *most* riders of bigger/heavier ADV bikes.

The WR250R weighs in at ~290lbs wet......it's a heavy/underpowered bike.......BUT, the beefy subframe will carry whatever load you decide to heap on it, the 6 speed/FI is smooth as silk, the 350 watt alternator will power all your accessories, and the "street" bike engine requires little attention if set up/maintained properly....

I have a street license plate for "Anywhere Access" and a middleweight/underpowered dualsport for "Anywhere Rideability" once I reach my destination.....THAT's what's important to me in an "ADV" bike - Access/Ridability/Versatility......I'm NOT a racer......I'm a dualsporter/trail rider/explorer....and that suits me just fine :thumbsup_anim:

LESS is MORE! :smile_anim:

We all had an interesting demonstration of this in our recent trip to Utah. I was very happy to be on a (relatively) small bike much of the time, and thrilled to not be on a bloviated R1200GS at all, ever.

But I very much enjoyed the experience riding Riggah's 990r on the dirt roads and trails, and would have LOVED riding it between the dirt. I'm unsatisfied riding a small-displacement bike for hours on the road at 60 MPH. Can't be much more bored than that- maybe it a sign of my immaturity, but I still enjoy a curvy mountain road.

I don't really enjoy the challenges of "really tough single track" meant specifically to challenge my (lack of) riding skills. And if I'm willing to accept that limitation (as if I had a choice) then the range of bikes from which one may choose is much broader.

Best solution: Multiple bikes to match multiple personalities. rolleyes.gif

In the meantime, very happy with the 525, when it's not broken.

I'm unsatisfied riding a small-displacement bike for hours on the road at 60 MPH. Can't be much more bored than that- maybe it a sign of my immaturity, but I still enjoy a curvy mountain road.

Me too.....I'm bored riding pretty much ANY bike on long stretches of STRAIGHT pavement. That's why I used to truck my Sport bikes to Mammoth.....I couldn't stand the ~450 miles of boring slab to get to the twisties....

I agree with different bikes for different missions......The Smoker and Girlbike suit "my" needs well....

Listen, if my budget/garage could afford the space for a 990 I'd own one in a heartbeat......but, in general, I have no interest in carrying passengers, spend little time on the street, and want "versatility of use" during the trip and upon arrival at my destination if I'm on an ADV trip......and I make no apologies for not being a "ride it from the driveway" kinda guy.......I'd rather truck it to where the fun starts and loop out from there.....motel after every 2 days of camping.....or motel every day if on a short trip.......that way you can carry less "stuff".....it seems (to me) that most folks over estimate what they need in terms of engine and gear for an ADV trip......

"and the "street" bike engine requires little attention if set up/maintained properly...." --- " I wanted a tad more low end torque...." --

"But I very much enjoyed the experience riding Riggah's 990r on the dirt roads and trails" ----"very happy with the 525, when it's not broken"

unsure.gif

I would be willing to bet RD thinks he had close to the ideal set-up for the High Mileage Utah trip. Short of have a chase van containing selected weapons, a trip should be planned for one ride style, and stick to the plan.

big_boss.gif

I would be willing to bet RD thinks he had close to the ideal set-up for the High Mileage Utah trip.

Agreed.

He did struggle a bit in the tighter stuff, through which I laughed and wheelied (riiiight) but overall the Utah trip reflected exactly the kind of riding I enjoy best. I'm capable of riding tougher singletrack- I'm no trials guy, but I'm OK. But that's not what I prefer, witness the relentless ADV style hammering my poor bike has taken over the years.

Granted also, Riggah is a very good rider, and I'd have struggled a bit more. Nevertheless, that trip was what I like most.

I thought I was on the right bike for the 1500+ mile ride. No issues except for hard starting some mornings in the cold. No flats on the knobbie tires good range ect. I actually like riding my 525 on the street with the Seat Concepts seat and balanced tires it's a pretty comfortable ride and because of the power the bike has I can gear it to cruise all day at 75 to 80 and still ride the slow sections without any problems. I could never have ridden the tougher dirt sections on my 990 like Dan did. He's 20 years younger and has no problem using his 990 like it was ment to be used.

CiD

The more you ride a big ADV bike thru gnarly stuff, the easier it gets. I've found myself getting into more and more difficult stuff with my 950, and each time I make it thru, it just makes me more ready for the next difficult trail. But I also look forward to the challenge and don't mind getting beat up on the trail once in awhile.

Why most ADV bike riders don't end up liking the big bikes, is because they don't ride them enough and just stick to the easy trails, they're afraid of the weight, and also afraid to drop them and scratch them up. To me, it's just a big dualsport bike, meant to get dirty and scratched up.

That's just my opinion, and I'm sticking to it :torch:

Granted, the 950/990 Adventure is about the heaviest I'd want to go....anything heavier, like the newer models, is just too much....unless you're sticking to easy dirt roads and trails.

Another thing, to me the definition of an Adventure Bike should be a bike that one loves to ride out of their garage, go do both pavement and lots of dirt, and return home on....NOT a bike that you take most everywhere in the back of a truck. To me, the fun starts anytime I jump in the saddle....riding out of town on pavement beats sitting in a car/truck anyday.

The WR250R weighs in at ~290lbs wet......it's a heavy/underpowered bike.......BUT, the beefy subframe will carry whatever load you decide to heap on it, the 6 speed/FI is smooth as silk, the 350 watt alternator will power all your accessories, and the "street" bike engine requires little attention if set up/maintained properly....

I have a street license plate for "Anywhere Access" and a middleweight/underpowered dualsport for "Anywhere Rideability" once I reach my destination.....THAT's what's important to me in an "ADV" bike - Access/Ridability/Versatility......I'm NOT a racer......I'm a dualsporter/trail rider/explorer....and that suits me just fine :thumbsup_anim:

LESS is MORE! :smile_anim:

Less also costs more, doesn't it ? Didn't you recently have to rebuild the thing before it was due for it's first valve adjustment ?

Less also costs more, doesn't it ?

No, as stated in my post above, "the "street" bike engine requires little attention if set up/maintained properly." I'm convinced my recent engine troubles were brought on by "my" incorrect fuel programmer settings/air filter maintenance......not the bike......there are plenty of owners out there with ~30K+ miles and zero issues......this bike has been ridden to Alaska and back (most recently by our own GPS Kevin), across Australia, etc., etc......very reliable/capable....

Not to mention the fact that you could buy 2 WR250Rs (plus accessories) for about the same price as one 990 OTD (stock)

I know you're a big bike guy......you know I'm a small bike guy.......there is no one "best" approach.......it's really all about whatever suits your personal preference.....the boys recent Utah trip demonstrates that....different strokes for different folks.....

Wait a minute, they all had 4 strokes......I think we can all agree on 4 strokes for extended/long trips vs. 2 strokes (RogerTOWM are you listening?)

riding out of town on pavement beats sitting in a car/truck anyday.

Not to nitpick.

Really- you had me until this statement.

One of the few disadvantages of living in San Diego is the two to six hours of awful pavement before getting to miles of solid (domestic) riding. As I drove to Utah a couple weeks ago, I was thinking- much rather be comfortable and cool in the car than riding the 15.

Overall, however, we agree.

I promise wink.gif I'll prove it.

much rather be comfortable and cool in the car than riding the 15

:smile_anim:

riding out of town on pavement beats sitting in a car/truck anyday.

Not to nitpick.

Really- you had me until this statement.

One of the few disadvantages of living in San Diego is the two to six hours of awful pavement before getting to miles of solid (domestic) riding. As I drove to Utah a couple weeks ago, I was thinking- much rather be comfortable and cool in the car than riding the 15.

Overall, however, we agree.

I promise wink.gif I'll prove it.

You don't have to take 15 to get to Mesquite...you can take almost all backroads.

Sure, you wouldn't want to ride your little KTM up 15....but my 950 would be preferable over a car anyday, even if it was up the 15.

But that's just me....I love being in the saddle as much as possible....that's why I ride a bigger ADV bike, so I can ride it almost everywhere I want to go...and go do almost anything the guys on smaller bikes will do.

Sure, you wouldn't want to ride your little KTM

This hurts me deeply.

Sure, you wouldn't want to ride your little KTM

hell i used to ride my 400 out to corral... but it wasn't fun. but now i have a truck... so it's moot.

I love traveling on a bike and have hence tended towards big adventure twins in the past. I love riding a street bike on a great twisty road. Hard to beat that. But I have done enough miles on straigh boring roads with headwinds and trucks and cold and heat... I do prefer my truck, or my convertible, for that. I would still jump at the chance for a nice trip through the sierras or the rockies on a big adv bike.

Your all," WORSE than HAMMER" ever was.heh.gifheh.gifheh.gif

Wrong. I didn't bash all other mfg in favor of Honda. I stated it's really a personal preference and I prefer smaller bikes for ADV use.

Guest Crusty

Your all," WORSE than HAMMER" ever was.heh.gifheh.gifheh.gif

Wrong. I didn't bash all other mfg in favor of Honda. I stated it's really a personal preference and I prefer smaller bikes for ADV use.

I only bashed a few brands(The less dependable ones), but own Honda's, because they suit my needs, for all the riding I do.