Goofy Footer

nOOb Backcountry Ride Sunday, Sept 30th

Hey I am a maybe, I would probably just pick up the last half of the ride, I'll watch for times. There is a fairly easy way to tie into Pine Valley from Buckman and avoid some street and the checkpoint.

I am thinking of hooking up on this one. I have not ridden Otay to Tecate so this would be new and i would probably run to julian then bail. I will post up on sunday as I am supposed to be helping my sister move on sat and dont know if it is going to carry on to sunday.

Okay everybody, here is a preview of the ride using Route 3 and stopping at Alpine Brewery for Lunch. Approximately 95 miles. All either graded fire road or two lane road. For the final GPS I will include optional routes:

Option A: Descanso to Boulder Creek Rd (dirt) to Engineer's Rd to 79S to Descanso (this will add mileage/time to the ride).

Option B: Sloane Canyon dirt offshoot from Dehesa Rd. This is a short dirt (5 miles each way) out and back road after Alpine Brewery.

post-14322-000854100 1348597335_thumb.jp

My thoughts are that since this is a nOOb friendly ride and a first SDAR ride for some, extra time spent hanging with the crew and meeting fellow riders while enjoying good food/brew is more important than racking up as many miles as possible. The meeting/end point will be Starbucks in Rancho San Diego. I will post full information soon!

Anybody who wants to hop on the ride can join. If you want to ride part and split off that is totally fine by me. I'll follow the gps tracks I upload to dualsportmaps but you're totally free to ride where/what you want. If you ride in my group please "Ride Your RIde" - that means go your pace, take your time and remember I'll be there making sure you get through all areas and remain on course. Lets keep it fun.

-tntmo if your group wants to ride out the 94 and catch Buckman Springs to Kernan Cycle Trail/Bear Valley into Pine Valley then over to Vejas Grade and Alpine that is totally fine. Maybe you can pick up Champ and KLXBEN along the way? I won't be going up Kernan on this ride.

-KLXBEN, there is a dirt route between Marron Valley Rd and Barret Junction. I can send it to you good luck with BP if they want to kick you off (sometimes you can get lucky though)

Hey TNTMO if you can't come send the wife anyway, and just for clarification I was NOT saying Kernan I was thinking the road across from the Tulloch ranch that ties into Bear Valley (all fire road). I would like to do this ride as a payback to the guys that let me come along on my first ride with SDAR, I showed up as a lurker unprepared on an outdated bike nursing a sprained ankle, crashed a few times and was real slow, ( I was really horrible ), but nobody was judgemental, I felt accepted and am a big fan of Dualsport now.

If I can help open that same door to anyone else I'm all for it.

Uncle C.

Crap, I'm out - thought the SO was coming back from vacation Sunday night but it's Saturday night - would be bad form to leave riding in the early AM when she's been gone for 8 days.....

Hey TNTMO if you can't come send the wife anyway, and just for clarification I was NOT saying Kernan I was thinking the road across from the Tulloch ranch that ties into Bear Valley (all fire road). I would like to do this ride as a payback to the guys that let me come along on my first ride with SDAR, I showed up as a lurker unprepared on an outdated bike nursing a sprained ankle, crashed a few times and was real slow, ( I was really horrible ), but nobody was judgemental, I felt accepted and am a big fan of Dualsport now.

Uncle C.

Trust me, my wife is going. I still have to wait to see if she will let me go along. We will not be doing Kernan, I am going to be on my supermoto on street tires. Shouldn't be an issue on any of the stuff I'm looking at, I hope!

I might be able to make this, but I'd be on supermoto which should not be a problem. If I can go, the wife will be along with me on her DR350.

Awesome! I hope you guys can make it :bye:

I am going to be on my supermoto on street tires. Shouldn't be an issue on any of the stuff I'm looking at, I hope!

I've done a lot of that route on my Strom......and you're a better rider than I am. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

Here is the final route which I will be sticking to. I plan on riding the BLUE trails but will most likely take my group on Sloane Canyon which is noted in RED as an optional trail.

Following the Blue tracks you will start at the Starbucks Parking Lot at 9AM kickstands up!

- 2512 Jamacha Road, El Cajon, CA -

You will be led through Rancho San Diego, into Jamul and towards Otay Lakes. Once we reach the 1000 Trails Campground we will ascend Otay Mtn, visit DogHouse Junction (if anybody wants to quickly stop by the old bunker they can at this time) before we drop into Marron Valley and hit the 94 fwy. From here its slab twisties to Descanso. If you are interested in taking the Boulder Creek Loop you must do so at Descanso. The Boulder Creek Loop is 39 miles long and I'll estimate that it will add 1.5 hours to your ride. It is graded fire road leading to twisty tight paved road and back down highway 79 which is also twisty. From Descanso we'll head over Vejas Grade and into Alpine. Your choice of lunch in Alpine, either Alpine Brewery or the Tavern, your choice. From Alpine we'll take twisites back to the Starbucks Parking Lot. Along this portion of the ride you can take the 8 mile round trip along Sloane Canyon for a dirt break.

The track is publicly available on www.dualsportmaps.com under the file name nOOb backcountry ride 9/30 drink.gif

post-14322-080349000 1348685076_thumb.jp

Everybody is welcome! I'm hoping for a big turnout.

Uncle C.

Champ, are you speaking of the dirt road that connects Bear Valley to Buckman Springs? It connects with Buckman between the school and Old Highway 80? I'm not familiar with Tulloch ranch.

Yeah, that's the one. There is an easy path around the gate, but I don't know about a large group trying to get through there swiftly to not draw to much attention from the man. Fun little tie in though.

I'm also lurking on this one. The Otay section sound interesting. I wonder if wife will provide chauffeur service to Starbucks. Hmmmm, must start buttering her up now. U. Champ, Ben and whoever else from our neck of the forest can fit on U. Champs trailer and in the back of my truck.

Yeah, that's the one. There is an easy path around the gate, but I don't know about a large group trying to get through there swiftly to not draw to much attention from the man. Fun little tie in though.

I'm also lurking on this one. The Otay section sound interesting. I wonder if wife will provide chauffeur service to Starbucks. Hmmmm, must start buttering her up now. U. Champ, Ben and whoever else from our neck of the forest can fit on U. Champs trailer and in the back of my truck.

WW tell Champ to quit whining. If he makes it to Starbucks on Sunday, you all can ride with us til Marron Valley. I'll point you and your crew in the right direction to take you via dirt to Barrett Junction. From there you could take 94 east to Tecate, hug the border road to Buckman and hit that connector. That should be plenty of dirt for you guys.

Crap, I'm out - thought the SO was coming back from vacation Sunday night but it's Saturday night - would be bad form to leave riding in the early AM when she's been gone for 8 days.....

One must upkeep the appearance of good form! Probably a good thing cause you're gonna need another hall pass for PN Lobsters and shampoo refill in a month or so...

That's a rare thing to here U.C. whining. And we got it in writing, so he can't deny it.

Since I'm usually the one doing the whining, I think he tells me... 'Ooooh, quit your whining and give it more gas!'

Actually, it was the beer stop at the Alpine Brewery that really perked my ears up for this ride. Had a pint of Irish Red with my lunch there today. Very Tasty.

Got the bike running this morning and will be ready to ride Sunday :D I can't pass up a good lunch and beer so I'm planning to ride all the way to that point and then double back to hit Boulder Creek heading north to go home. Anyone else returning north is welcome to follow.

One must upkeep the appearance of good form! Probably a good thing cause you're gonna need another hall pass for PN Lobsters and shampoo refill in a month or so...

And speaking of which, how was your shampoo??

Descanso Junction?

Do you mean Barrett junction? Whining! it's pistols at dawn, pal!

Wild can you arrange transport so we don't have to ride knobbies to town on pavement? And yes from Buckman to Bear valley, where was I whining, "to much slab" is whining?

I'm going now so as to clean and load my dueling pistol.

Descanso Junction?

Do you mean Barrett junction? Whining! it's pistols at dawn, pal!

Wild can you arrange transport so we don't have to ride knobbies to town on pavement? And yes from Buckman to Bear valley, where was I whining, "to much slab" is whining?

I'm going now so as to clean and load my dueling pistol.

Barret Junction you are right. I corrected my post to reflect the change.

Pistols at dawn you say? I'll let you battle it out with these two

6634b7673.jpg

Got the bike running this morning and will be ready to ride Sunday :D I can't pass up a good lunch and beer so I'm planning to ride all the way to that point and then double back to hit Boulder Creek heading north to go home. Anyone else returning north is welcome to follow.

Excellent FN. If you really want to maximize your dirt, you can hit Black Canyon and Pamo TT into Ramona as well. That would be a killer countywide loop.

If anybody is interested or has questions post up! Yenool, Warp9, tntmo & crew I plan on seeing you all Sunday morning!

I havent been on a ride with you guys yet but have been one of the lurkers. I might be able to get out to this ride as well. I am checking with the wife now. I will confirm later today. What time do you think we will wrap up the day on Sunday?

I will be riding down from Carlsbad on the 450X with nobbies. I would like to ride dirt back but I dont know this area well. Any advise or direction for good dirt coming back or even coming down would be appreciated. I dont mind slab though. I ride the bike daily on slab to and from work.

Thanks

Tony

I havent been on a ride with you guys yet but have been one of the lurkers. I might be able to get out to this ride as well. I am checking with the wife now. I will confirm later today. What time do you think we will wrap up the day on Sunday?

I will be riding down from Carlsbad on the 450X with nobbies. I would like to ride dirt back but I dont know this area well. Any advise or direction for good dirt coming back or even coming down would be appreciated. I dont mind slab though. I ride the bike daily on slab to and from work.

Thanks

Tony

The main group should be back at Starbucks around 1 or 2 I'd guess. That depends on how long the lunch stop is! There are dirt options that will cut off slab back to Carlsbad. FuzzyNugs will be taking those roads back to Cbad and is looking for a riding partner, you could ride with him. Dirt home will take longer but these are fire roads through the backcountry so you'll move quick.

Do you have GPS? You are 100% welcome to come and I hope you make it! This will make for a great first ride with SDAR. The border area itself is worth checking out.

I'm workin' on it Unc. Just served her a bad ass Margarita. That should help soften her up a little. So your back in now?