Afry

Lobster run - Sat 9/22/12

Wait, there were two flats? One on the US side of the border and one in Baja on the dirt back?

Yup 2 flats in two totally separate incidents. It looks like one of those Mexican jumping rocks got Afry. My flat is a mystery to me. I started hearing some weird noises on the 54 fwy but I couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from. I rode on, hitting two other freeways before I pulled off at my exit. It wasn't until I grabbed the front brake and slowed down that I noticed something was not right. My front end had no feel and it got wobbly quick. I held on but had to jump off and hop along next to the bike before it came to a full stop. I pushed the bike onto the sidewalk but didn't see any punctures in the tire. The tire sidewalls looked worn, I might rode the flat for a while and not known it. I didn't change lanes nor use any brake while on the freeway. I was planning on swapping the tire either after this ride or the next. I didn't feel like changing the tube and then change the tire when I got home. I refilled it two or three more times and I think I rode <20mph the rest of the way home ha. I'll inspect it more when I'm back in a few days.

As far at the "shampoo" goes... its in the freezer waiting to be consumed in a few hours.

Very fun ride Brad and I had an awesome time. Thanks Afry for organizing and leading. It all started with the meet up in Tecate after a quik fuel top off we all headed for the border. We had to give Brad the rules about not ripping through town and to be sure to stop at all the stop signs. Afry reminded us all not to stop for anybody trying to wave you down. We all headed a few miles south to the town of Las Palmas where we caught the first leg of dirt roads to the trails the headed all the way to Puerto Nuevo. Past the strangly colorful housing development to the dump where apparently the super poor mexicans live in makeshift shanty's. Then the rocks began. I thought I was having a hard time till I came to tvscum on the scrambler. He was having a workout piloting that beast through that trail. I would not wanted to be him but he kicked ass and kept his cool. From the first little rest It was another 15 miles or so to Lobsters and the coolness of the coast. Very fun to ride across the ridges of the rolling hills and to slowly keep losing elevation to the coast. Picked out a good restaurant with recommendation from Bubbagums and ordered up cervesa's and free margarita's. Had a wonderful lunch of lobster, rice, beans, tortilla soup, and more cervesa's. Asked a local where to buy cigars and he informed us he had some in his car. Authentic Cuban cigars in his car we just had to follow him up over by that sign. We declined and I think he probably had anything we needed in his car. After following us for a half a block or so trying to get us too his car he reluctantly gave up. we all had a good laugh about it. Now for future reference to anybody going to Puerto Nuevo keep in mind they have no gas. We all had to head all the way back to Tecate on what we had. I was not worried but Brad had to ride about 20 miles with his gas light on. Afry had his flat and we all helped to repair it in record time. Stopped at a little beer shack in the middle of nowhere called Ponchos place and took a break in the shade and had a much needed cold drink. rode on back through to Tecate without incident and had one last stop for a taco and coke before going across the border with no trouble. Home by 6pm with 122 miles on the trip. Awesome trip and a great opportunity to meet new friends and ride with buddies. Would love to ride it again or just go to Tecate for lunch and run the border road home. I have a few pics but not too many. Thanks again all for a good time.

motley crew

post-13344-069054400 1348433963_thumb.jp

View to the bikes from the table

post-13344-090473400 1348434754_thumb.jp

Pile of baby bugs

post-13344-080746600 1348435100_thumb.jp

Trailside repair

post-13344-008569100 1348435200_thumb.jp

post-13344-019986500 1348435332_thumb.jp

Panchos place, A TRUE hole in the wall

post-13344-075791700 1348435514_thumb.jp

pumping our gas like royalty

post-13344-034798100 1348435647_thumb.jp

Guest Crusty

Nice ride and report, looks like work got in the way of a fun ride.

I stayed close to home, but still got in a few rides (NO FLATS)

but when I was riding home after the paddle out I was wearing my surf trunks and no shirt,

because I was wet, surfboard in my rack, I rode through a swarm of bee's.

Got stung twice in the chest,blink.gif it stung a bit all the way home, from Encinitas to Carlsbad.

Made up for it with this!

0923021859_zps0983b366.jpg

Glad you all had a fun safe ride, maybe next time.

Craig.

Guest Crusty

My wife Cristina likes the pics, says Hi Uncle champ, son and Goofyfooter.

How would this ride be for her and I "2 up" on my XR 680L. Super Adventure, HC.

My wife Cristina likes the pics, says Hi Uncle champ, son and Goofyfooter.

How would this ride be for her and I "2 up" on my XR 680L. Super Adventure, HC.

Not good for two up! Too many rocks. Too many hookers. Not enough lobsters!

Rocky lobster run video now on YouTube:

Glad you guys had a fun ride and no major crashes in the rocky path. Bet the ocean views were good --the last time we had fog.

Great video. I loved how you went into the kitchen for the inside view. Lets do it again!

wow. awesome video. that just got sent out to my entire family. thanks for sharing dave!

Awesome video Dave!! Thanks for leaving out the hookers.....

Puerta Nuevo has Hookers???LOL

Usually back in TJ on Cahuilla St around Adelitas maybe for you single guys..

I am in for the next ride.

Did you guys eat at Ortegas Restaurant. The big one with 3 floors. They own multiple places in there.

Great video editing Dave! Like the down, down, down... timing of your fall; and your left mirror cracked me up (like you said, screw it!).

This tiny puncture caused my flat on the way home. It must have happened on the freeway while stateside. I was running high psi but my knobs were super worn down and some road debris probably punctured it. I can't find any real damage to the rim (I don't have a wheel balancer to check but it seems okay). I couldn't find the hole in the tire. I guess I'll find out how true my front rim is when I mount the new tire on it and take it for a spin!

Would slime have plugged this hole? I'd prefer to avoid flats if possible. I'm installing a Kenda Tuff Tube.

post-14322-083401300 1348762758_thumb.jp

GF,

Check the inside of your rim for sharp things. I have a Pirelli MT43 trials 21" and 18" Maxxis MaxxEnduro with about 50% tread, if you want them.

I will post a picture later to help your decision.

B

This tiny puncture caused my flat on the way home. It must have happened on the freeway while stateside. I was running high psi but my knobs were super worn down and some road debris probably punctured it. I can't find any real damage to the rim (I don't have a wheel balancer to check but it seems okay). I couldn't find the hole in the tire. I guess I'll find out how true my front rim is when I mount the new tire on it and take it for a spin!

Would slime have plugged this hole? I'd prefer to avoid flats if possible. I'm installing a Kenda Tuff Tube.

post-14322-083401300 1348762758_thumb.jp

Slime?... maybe. I just started running it in both tires and don't notice any difference on or off road in handling.

I went and got a out of country leave request package...holy smokes... It is a bunch of paperwork and about 2 weeks to process...keeping an eye out good the next trip...

GF,

Check the inside of your rim for sharp things. I have a Pirelli MT43 trials 21" and 18" Maxxis MaxxEnduro with about 50% tread, if you want them.

I will post a picture later to help your decision.

B

PM Sent. I appreciate the offer!

Was this a leg cramp or a butt cramp?

I should charge you royalties for posting that image ha! That's the ultra secret, highly sophisticated riding technique I perfected on the Iron Butt on a stock dr650 seat. I could ride for miles upon miles sitting askew like that. It really saved me during that long haul. I've since managed to expertly adapt the technique to my DRZ. I have the Gel Seat which 90% of people hate. I really prefer it for off-road riding but long stints on road... well... you GOT the picture ha!

I went and got a out of country leave request package...holy smokes... It is a bunch of paperwork and about 2 weeks to process...keeping an eye out good the next trip...

Excellent! You couldn't resist once you saw those lobster pics. I might try to organize another run early Nov depending on interest...