nomilk4u

Fishing Advise?

Since frequently fish off the base pier (NASNI) and went out on a charter boat once(thanks to Tommy), i was designated the subject matter expert of all things fishing and was tasked with this, lol. here is what i was tasked with: find a boat/charter/rental to take a group of about 20 people out for some fishings. are there any good recommendations and who should i avoid?

Thanks for any feedback!

My boy works on the Eclipse out of mission bay. All they do is 1.5-2.5 day trips with charter groups. My son tells me that they are a professional and good charter boat. If they were losers he would say it that way.

Good luck.

steve

I used to go out on the American Angler, I liked the layout and the service and the people.

It's been a while though.

I have breakfast on Mondays with a group that includes Bruce Smith of Fortune Sportfishing. He'd be my first call.

Thanks for the feedback! I got a few reccomendations and need to price them all out now, Sailors being cheap asses and all, lol.

What have you been catching off the NASNI pier? I took the Boy Scouts to the OB pier two weeks ago and we had no luck.

What have you been catching off the NASNI pier? I took the Boy Scouts to the OB pier two weeks ago and we had no luck.

Calico and striped bass, perches and Halibut. i catch and release, but then i havn't caught anything really worth keeping either, lol.

Calico and striped bass, perches and Halibut. i catch and release, but then i havn't caught anything really worth keeping either, lol.

Our Boy Scouts would just be happy to catch anything. My troop does not have very good fisherman, myself included.

Our Boy Scouts would just be happy to catch anything. My troop does not have very good fisherman, myself included.

Neither am I! I am hooking these bottom feeders with a $20 pole combo, lol.

I'm shocked you made it to the pier knowing good microbrews and pizza were to be had at Pizza Port two blocks away.

I don't know anything about fishing but my friend caught a decent sized shark off the OB pier. Enough to grill for a while.

Do you want to go fishing and catch fish, or drink beer all day and bullshit about it?

Do you want to go fishing and catch fish, or drink beer all day and bullshit about it?

Is this a trick question? I go down to the East Cape of Baja and do both 2 or 3 times a year.

CiD

Add on concerning the NASNI base pier. We can divulge the spot because its not accessable to all.

It's by far the best fishing pier in the bay, why? maybe lower impact maybe lots of catch and release, maybe the position in the bay to the main channel.

On any day its good for small calicos (they must breed around the pilings), legal size Spotted Bay Bass, Barred Sand Bass, mega doses of lizard fish to keep one busy (I caught a freaking 18 in lizard last week), many small to legal size Sculpin, many small to a few legal sized Halibuts ( I pulled a 26.5" a couple of weeks ago). As for Sculpin, this summer, all(lots of them) I caught were C&R most were caught on long casts and dropped under the pier (so there will be a bunch of good sized scorps in the rocks under pier and around the posts).

The young Calicos during the summer are nuts and great for kids action, I pulled 13 during a 45 min lunch break (last year).

I never target them but some of the guys are filling their buckets with Sargo, Croakers, and Perch as well, all caught with ghosties and worms. The batrays and shovelnosed guitarfish are also plentiful for sport catch as well as crap loads of round rays for the bait soaker bottom fisherman. Also guys are catching covina (bina whatever?) and some get mullet and smelt as well. For any of the Bay boaters keep your boats at least a 100 yards away from that pier, because despite what think some of us are casting way out there and you guys have the entire bay to fish. My 3 cents on the subject. As for open water/islands/sea mount/charter/cattle boat fishing I will let the others with much more experience discuss that. I only fish with GULP baits and 99% on drop shot or dropper loop in the bay.

PS get out soon on the cattle/charter boat the fishing is good right now, we hit a kelp paddie some where around the 425 that was loaded with Dorado, YellowTail and football BFTs on staurday it was mayhem.

The NASNI pier does require a license though, correct? All the public piers do not require a fishing license as far as I know.

Catch fish, all of us are married with kids, so we got mouths to feed! but i think we are just hoping to catch a bigger fish then the other guy. Beer is not on the menu for me, and this is the same for most others i work with, i think one or two would like a few beers, but we are all sailors and used to the prohibition of the open sea's, lol. last i heard, drinking wasn't allowed anyhow?

The NASNI pier does require a license though, correct? All the public piers do not require a fishing license as far as I know.

you do need a license, i think that is the base Commanding Officers rules, i know the two pole limit is a rule of his.