Let me start with the fact that I'm old and want to be comfortable sitting around camp

at night after a long day on the trail. I've bought about 10 different chair/stools to try

and find one that is small enough to pack on a off road adventure bike and still offers

the comfort I need. I think there are now 2 different chairs that will work for my needs.

http://www.modernbike.com/itemgroup.asp?igpk=2126197807&TID=367&gclid=CMeekv_7wbECFeUaQgodEGMAEA

and

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Accessory/HelinoxChair

I'll be buying one or the other soon and will give a report after I use it.

Both can be purchased for around $90.00 if you look around.

Covered in Chairs

Going with the Helinox chair. Big Agnus doesn't make this product it comes from europe

but I've never had a bad product from Big Agnus and they stand behind what they sell.

Also the poles are beefier and the stance looks more stable.

CiD

The motels and hotels in which I stay typically have a bed.

I just sit on that.

$90 for a chair ? Wow.

If I want to pack something to sit on while on a bike trip, I use one of those little 3 legged folding stools for about $20.

CID

Don't take any spit from these bums. I am with you on camp chairs. The $60 Butterfly from REI does me fine @Roosevelt the end of the day

Yes, I am aware REI is on the no shop list ( like Walmart ) I am working to reform and educate.

I went with the Mantis before I knew about the Agnes chair. I have found it one of my most useful items yes it's pricey but you can't kick back on a camp stool so those are worthless to me.

It's the size of a big burrito when packed and I pack all my crap on a klr so it's worth it.

I tried different stools from the short $20 stools to a pricey tall stool. Both of them hurt my back after about 10 minutes.

Plus nothing beats kicking back with your feet up, and a cold beer after a long day of riding.

CiD

and a dozen Belon oysters, a chilled Prosecco, then a steak frite with a big glass of Cotes du Rhone followed by a fig clafoutis with a Baumes de Venise after a long day of riding. And maybe some cheese.

CiD

Fixed.

$90 for a chair ? Wow.

If I want to pack something to sit on while on a bike trip, I use one of those little 3 legged folding stools for about $20.

And worth every penny

and a dozen Belon oysters, a chilled Prosecco, then a steak frite with a big glass of Cotes du Rhone followed by a fig clafoutis with a Baumes de Venise after a long day of riding. And maybe some cheese.

CiD

Fixed.

Cotes du Rhone with a steak? Please, as a red blooded American I prefer a good Napa Cab with my Bone in Rib Eye.

Covered in Red (White and Blue)

I prefer a good Napa Cab with my Bone in Rib Eye.

Excellent choice if you like that bland, simple flavor.ph34r.gif

I prefer a good Napa Cab with my Bone in Rib Eye.

Excellent choice if you like that bland, simple flavor.ph34r.gif

Well I don't need some fancy sauce to ruin the taste of a good steak, and do you need to be reminded of the Paris wine competition of 1976?

CiD

I tried different stools from the short $20 stools to a pricey tall stool. Both of them hurt my back after about 10 minutes.

Plus nothing beats kicking back with your feet up, and a cold beer after a long day of riding.

CiD

I completely underestimated the importance of a chair on my inaugural bike camping ride. Next time I'm making room. Such an important basic comfort item. You really don't want to have to sit on a rock, tree stump, the ground.

That chair looks awesome, might even get one for backpacking. I don't mind travelling a bit heavy if I can have some comfort. Last time, I even took hot sauce. Yes, I live it up.

Paris wine competition of 1976?

CiD

Rigged.

AND they didn't even count the votes of Patricia Gallagher and Steven Spurrier, the only 2 American judges...Even the French like Cali wine :)

I went with the Mantis before I knew about the Agnes chair. I have found it one of my most useful items yes it's pricey but you can't kick back on a camp stool so those are worthless to me.

It's the size of a big burrito when packed and I pack all my crap on a klr so it's worth it.

I'd like to look at the Mantis next to the Helinox when mine comes in to do a side by side

comparison. Maybe we can get together and compare the chairs sometime.

CiD

Back in the day when we had the aluminum folding lawn chairs, a gal that would camp with the group was a tad overweight. She went thru many many of our chairs, pulling the rivets out at the hinges. "They just dont make these chairs very sturdy" she would quip. We started writing our names on the chairs but that didnt work. when you got up to go for whatever reason we would take the chair with :heh:

BTW CID those are very nice looking high tech chairs.

(Not Really Her) but a similar size "8"......

RaquiMaxxDaddy02.jpg

1343698579[/url]' post='131177']
1343684049[/url]' post='131157']

I'd like to look at the Mantis next to the Helinox when mine comes in to do a side by side

CiD

I would also like to see the difference.

CiD

CID Chair in Dust any updates on the chair comparison? is there a winner yet? :coolio:

Paris wine competition of 1976?

Rigged.

I had nothing to do with it....................

I showed my chair to Afry last Sunday at the Paul Lima ride, He didn't have his so we couldn't do a side by side comparison. However

i think either chair is pretty good but I think my chair is a little taller which makes it easier for an old guy like me to get in and out of. I really like mine and will always use it on any over night ride on the bike.

CiD