Goofy Footer

Carb Adjustment: How much Turn is in a Turn?

Simple Question:

I'm working on a carb and the manual says start with 3 Turns out from fully closed. Is One Turn 180 degrees or 360 degrees?

Thanks

Bike runs great. It is a pain to start cold though (15 kicks) but its one kick once warm. It idles very high (6000k rpm) but feels good otherwise. No backfiring. Adjustment in question is the air/fuel mixture screw.

My edelbrock carb adjustment actually pushes in, then clicks... Each click is 1/4 turn... (a turn in this case being 360 degrees)

Wanna ride Otay area tomorrow...

Use a sharpie and make a mark on one corner of the screw. One full revolution of that mark is one turn.

Most of your Motorcycle Carbs are 360 degrees, I use a mirror if I cannot see the screw slot and then as someone above said mark it with a sharpie and then turn away until she runs better. Just remember once you turn it to where you think it needs to be let it warm up then kill it and start it again to see if there is a difference.. Have Fun

This might sound stupid but it works for me, I bottom out the screw and then count half turns(1/2,1,1/2,2etc.) That way as I reposition my hand I always know where I am, sharpie trick sounds good too.

Turn!Turn!Turn! is a song adapted entirely from the Book of Ecclesiastes in the Bible (with the exception of the last line) and put to music by Pete Seeger in 1959. Later covered by The Byrds and was a hit in late 1965.

The refrain:

To Everything (Turn, Turn, Turn)

There is a season (Turn, Turn, Turn)

And a time to every purpose, under Heaven

220px-Ecclesiastes.png

Thanks for the correction that a Turn is 360 degrees. I lowered the idle with the idle screw but the air/fuel mix is still off. If I'm running this screw too rich could that have a significant impact on my MPG? Bike seems to run great.

A time of love, A time of hate.... sounds like carb tuning to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydul4B1fyJ0&feature=related

Hodjnett, I couldn't ride Otay today but could tomorrow if that might work

Is it an air screw or a fuel screw ? Not being a jackass as they are different.

Pilot screw tutorial:

Air screw: at the back of the carburetor, usually adjusted between 3/4 and 2 turns out (optimum is typically 1 to 1 1/2 turns). Most often found on two strokes.

Fuel screw: at the front of the carburetor, usually found underneath and in front of the float bowl, usually set between 1 and 3 turns (optimum is typically 2 to 2 1/2 turns). Most often found on four strokes.

If you can't properly set the pilot mixture correctly with these settings, then you will need to change the size of your pilot jet (barring any other problems such as dirty jets, bad fuel or air leaks).

Pilot screw tutorial:

Air screw: at the back of the carburetor, usually adjusted between 3/4 and 2 turns out (optimum is typically 1 to 1 1/2 turns). Most often found on two strokes.

Fuel screw: at the front of the carburetor, usually found underneath and in front of the float bowl, usually set between 1 and 3 turns (optimum is typically 2 to 2 1/2 turns). Most often found on four strokes.

If you can't properly set the pilot mixture correctly with these settings, then you will need to change the size of your pilot jet (barring any other problems such as dirty jets, bad fuel or air leaks).

Its definitely the fuel screw. Bike in question is a DR350. I opened up the airbox, rejetted it and put in a new needle. The idle seems to hang (not sure if that is the correct term or what). Most of the time when I pull in the clutch at a stop it is now idling at 4,000-4,5000 rpm. Sometimes it stays at 6,000-6,500 rpm and a few times its dropped all the way to 2,000 rpm. Kind of strange, I'm not sure whats the deal. I did get worse than expected MPG my first tank. I'll keep running and tinkering with it and post back. Thanks for the pointers!