CL300CAPT

Protective Gear Advice please!

I'm getting geared up and have a few questions. What brand and model boots do you prefer? What features are important in boots? What about pants, jackets and chest/back/knee and shin gear? What web sites do you suggest for the best deals and selection? Thanks for your time and input! Charlie (CL300CAPT)

I'm getting geared up and have a few questions. What brand and model boots do you prefer? What features are important in boots? What about pants, jackets and chest/back/knee and shin gear? What web sites do you suggest for the best deals and selection? Thanks for your time and input! Charlie (CL300CAPT)

Cap. Go to the biggest gear store in the area and start trying on all the gear. I just bought a bunch of things at Chaparral in Riverside. Not exactly close but it's HUGE.

Everything should be comfortable. End of story. The last helmet I bought I went to every moto store in San Diego trying on different brands and models. I finally found a helmet that fit my head really well and wasn't going to destroy my credit card.

It's about comfort and what feels right is right.

Boots

Upper Body Protection

Knee / Shin Protection

Jacket I got specific here just due to versatilty, not necessarily brand...although this is the one I have. Spyder and others had similar jackets on our ride. Zip off sleeves, vents, pockets. Nice to be able to ride in cool weather and open things up as the day goes on.

Jon makes an excellent suggestion. Everybody likes different stuff and you could read for days. Get the basics listed ( I saw a helmet on your head so I didn't list that ). My feet have been happy in $100 boots and in $400 boots....it can drive ya (me) nuts.

My 3 cents

Boots: I had cheap and they sucked , I bought Gaerne because they flexed so I could walk, the closures were easy to work and they are comfortable, I've had them 15 years and they still work great!

Armor: buy a good armored shirt or whatever they are called, gives back protection and chest and shoulder and the elbow pads are built in so they stay without distraction.

Shin guards: buy the better ones at Motoworld or the like, they are vented and will stay in place without a hassle.

Pants: get some with vents and a pocket.

Backpack: get a small backback with water, (camelback)

Thats my opinion honed over the years, search craigslist and adv rider gear sale section.

C Ya on the trail.

Spent weeks trying different armor, and finally came up with Acerbis Koerta full armor. You can get it from MX1West (they paid the tax since they are in CA), or in San Diego at Baja Cycles. Very happy with it, as I seems to offer the most shoulder, elbow and back coverage of any of them. Also, the mesh is a very open mesh, making it more comfortable in the heat (lived in El Centro when I got it). I have found it to be very comfortable, although at first I was concerned that it wouldn't be. Gone down many times with it, and once at speed landing on my shoulder, and no injuries. Don't ride without it.

Would recommend buying locally, as compression suits are meant to fit tight, and Acerbis, being European, tends to size small.

I found my pants on Craigslist from a dude on Vista in real nice shape brand new for 35 bucks they are the FLY pro series. As for Helmet I have 2 when I bought my bike I got a FOX V2 i believe and I like it its comfy and I recently bought a Joe Rocket dual sport helmet, its comfy as well and they are sized wierd, its nice to wear when its chilly out keeps that breeze off your face. Jacket as well when I got my bike I got a Fox jacket that I have been pleased with and recently I was at Cycle Gear and on the clearance rack was a Oneil Jaket with pockets all over and a removable inner liner, the jacket is comfy, but has no armor on arms like the FOX has.. My boot I found on Pendleton Yard sale off a fellow Marine for 20 bucks they are THOR that were barely worn at all and I like them, a little stiff, and I also have a pair of Frank THomas riding shoes that are nice and comfy as well.. Hope this helps a little if at all...

I like to spend my Dirt Bike Bucks in businesses that give back to our sport. Veys, Rocky mountain MC and Chaparrel come to mind.

Gone down many times with it, and once at speed landing on my shoulder, and no injuries.

Note: The Koerta offers no protection for your ankles.rolleyes.gif

Chapparal Motorsports up in Riverside is the biggest MC store I've been to. They had EVERYTHING! Worth the drive if you really want to try on a bunch of different stuff. If you don't buy from them, I'd check out some of the discount websites too like motorcyclecloseouts.com and motorcyclegear.com/

Rocky Mountain ATV, Revzilla, and Motorcycle Superstore are larger online retailers to check out.

I really like my Gaerne Balance boots. They don't have as much protection as a full MX boot, but are flexible enough to wear all day walking around. I hope they last as long as the other person mentioned(15 years is crazy!)

As someone else pointed out, the full armor suits are pretty nice for gnarlier trails where your chances of taking a spill are higher. I have the Thor one and it saved my elbow and arm when I took a dump on the desert dash.

Read, read, and read until you find a style that you like that also fits your wallet.

Sitting in Pomerado emergency right now waiting results on my sons foot that is probably broken from low speed fall on Black Canyon today. He was wearing hiking boots.

Get some good boots...but anything will be better than the athletic shoes you were wearing on the ride last week. :)

Afry, sorry about your sons foot. You are correct, my sneakers were not the best idea last weekend. Luckily I survived the day unscathed! FuzzyNugs and DR-Z400 pilot, Thanks for your input as well. What a great resource this web community is!

Charlie

You ride good and fast enough that you will need some quality gear.

Results are in...tiny fracture - just needs a splint. Boy it looks like hell next time he will be wearing my old Alpinestar mx boots. I may treat myself to some Gearne's - those Midlands look nice.

Gone down many times with it, and once at speed landing on my shoulder, and no injuries.

Note: The Koerta offers no protection for your ankles.rolleyes.gif

Or stators! At least I rode out! :heh:

Gotta love CraigsList! I scored 2 nice pair of riding pants, 2 Jerseys, Acerbis body armor and knee/skin guards today. Just need some boots and I'm good to go. Thanks for all the advice and input. You guys ever need aviation or flight training advice, let me know.

Charlie aka CL300CAPT

Gotta love CraigsList! I scored 2 nice pair of riding pants, 2 Jerseys, Acerbis body armor and knee/skin guards today. Just need some boots and I'm good to go. Thanks for all the advice and input. You guys ever need aviation or flight training advice, let me know.

Charlie aka CL300CAPT

WHAT KIND OF RIDING ARE YOU DOING? Are you hauling ass? or cruising along the trails? Are you tossing rocks at the rider behind you? Or taking pictures along the way?

MOTO-PORT/CYCLE-PORT I just spent over 2 grand on a jacket and pants, oh and gloves. Took me 2 years to bite that bullet, and reading page after page or posts and stories about this stuff.

If you can afford this stuff, get it, and never think about it again. The guy can be a dick, but I found that he was very cool to me, even tho i did not have a appt. But i did have a blankcheck and he was cool enough to spent 45 minutes with me building a custom kevlar air mesh weave suit with Quad-Amour and all kinds of bitchen stuff. I might not ride a cool looking bike, or be able to haul ass like Joe Moto, but i will be looking cool as snoopy's Joe cool with this suit on.

go to his web site and read about it, then go buy a suit.

Did somebody mention boots? Boots are a big one, especially for newer riders with less falling/balance skills