roadchick

New Dirt Rider

Hello! My name is Rene and I am new to the dirt world of riding. I have a lot of street/track/touring riding under my belt, but want to do some adventure riding!! My goal is to be able to do a 4 day ride in Ecuador (they say you need to be an advanced rider), but right now I do not have the off road skills to do it. So, I bought a 2008 WR250X that has both dirt wheels (Excel) and tires and SM wheels and tires, and I also bought a Honda NX250 to learn on since it is low to the ground. I am only 5 foot 6, so I am height challenged. I learned to ride motorcycles on my brother's dirt bikes when I was 13 but have never owned my own, and then had a big gap in my riding. Stopped riding at 18 and did not ride again until I was in my 30's. Over the past 7 seven years, I have put over 100,000 miles of riding under my belt but this has ALL been on the street and or track.

With that said, I am here to LEARN and get as much riding in as possible. SO, if you planning a ride on a weekend, please keep my in mind, as I need LOTS of time in the saddle, and am open to hearing your experiences and recommendations!

Thanks!

Rene

Welcome: We have a few experienced gals in our club that are great offroaders and 1 of them has a dirt track at her house. We met briefly at the meeting.

Welcome! Keep an eye on the "rides" section as there should be plenty of things to join in on.

Wow. Sounds like you have had some fabulous rides! I would love to meet and ride sometime. I do four day tours in Baja every year. I also want to ride out of the county. I was thinking Costa Rica! Welcome!

Welcome: We have a few experienced gals in our club that are great offroaders and 1 of them has a dirt track at her house. We met briefly at the meeting.

Cool! Thanks for the welcome and the information! Nice meeting you! :)

Welcome! Keep an eye on the "rides" section as there should be plenty of things to join in on.

Thanks! I will do that! :)

Wow. Sounds like you have had some fabulous rides! I would love to meet and ride sometime. I do four day tours in Baja every year. I also want to ride out of the county. I was thinking Costa Rica! Welcome!

Too cool! I would love to meet and ride too! Baja is on my list of rides that I want to do too! :) Thanks!

Welcome aboard. The X should work out well for you with its 17" wheels.

Welcome aboard. I have an NX250 also, they are good little bikes but mine has been suffering from a failing CDI. It's a common problem on those bikes. I did some surgery on mine last night and it should be good to go. If you have a failure let me know and I might be able to save you $200.

I did some minor suspension upgrades too, if you plan to do much more than gravel roads you might want to look into a shock swap with a Suzuki SV650.

coronado? if you're out buzzing around the island stop by and say hey if I'm working in my "work shop" garage with all the moto toys in the alley between 2nd and 3rd ave/orange and C.

Welcome to the group! Great to see more female riders in the group and you'll find quite a few of them here.

There are some ladies riding days out at a private track which you might find to be a fun time and a great learning experience.

Rene, did you get rid of the Aprilia Tuono ? No more street bikes ?

Thanks again for joining SDAR.

Rene, Welcome to the club...sorry I didnt' get to speak with you tuesday, I was busy gathering memberships.....but look forward to meeting you...

I generally ride a couple weekends a month, often camping for those entire weekends....so lots of opporunities to join in......I'd be happy to show you around some easier dirt ttrails to get started......

You ought to sign up for crawdaddys CORE 4 KIDS weekend out at KOA Glamis north...great place to ride and good chance to hang out with alot of great people.

ps: I'm only 5'4" so understand the challenges, (wish I had that extra 2" you have) :lol: but as women , I think we have a spirit to overcome the obstacles and get out there and make it happen! ...I'll pm you my cell number.....let's go ride!

Thanks for all the great information and welcomes!!

I will stop by and say hi if I see you working in your garage some time! :)

I would love to get out and ride with some ladies, but know that I am NEW to the dirt, so I am going to be pretty slow and conservative!

Randy- I totaled the Aprilia at Chuckwalla last January and did not replace it. Decided I wanted to focus on dual sport riding.

Rene, Welcome to the club...sorry I didnt' get to speak with you tuesday, I was busy gathering memberships.....but look forward to meeting you...

I generally ride a couple weekends a month, often camping for those entire weekends....so lots of opporunities to join in......I'd be happy to show you around some easier dirt ttrails to get started......

You ought to sign up for crawdaddys CORE 4 KIDS weekend out at KOA Glamis north...great place to ride and good chance to hang out with alot of great people.

ps: I'm only 5'4" so understand the challenges, (wish I had that extra 2" you have) :lol: but as women , I think we have a spirit to overcome the obstacles and get out there and make it happen! ...I'll pm you my cell number.....let's go ride!

Thank you so much! I would love to get together and ride! I received your cell and will send you mine! I will look for crawdaddy's CORE 4 KIDS weekend out at KOA Glamis North. :):):)

I did want to pay and become a member, where do I do that???

I did want to pay and become a member, where do I do that???

Rene, PM sent.

Welcome Rene. This is a great group of people - you will make some great friends. With all your street experience, the transition to dirt will be easier for you. The WR with two sets of wheels is an awesome setup!

I have 120+k miles on street too, and I still enjoy that, but there is just nothing better than an awesome day of dual sporting. You will love it.

Welcome Rene. This is a great group of people - you will make some great friends. With all your street experience, the transition to dirt will be easier for you. The WR with two sets of wheels is an awesome setup!

I have 120+k miles on street too, and I still enjoy that, but there is just nothing better than an awesome day of dual sporting. You will love it.

Thank you for the nice welcome!

First, welcome.

Second, don't ride like BikeSlut.

Third, don't grab a big handful of front brake offroad. Trust me, I have a lot of experience doing just that while learning (never stops!) to ride in the dirt.

First, welcome.

Third, don't grab a big handful of front brake offroad. Trust me, I have a lot of experience doing just that while learning (never stops!) to ride in the dirt.

Thanks for the advice!! Much appreciated!

Yesterday we rode out to Anza Mud Caves, what an adventure for someone like me that has NEVER been in the sand on a motorcycle! LOL

Only one small mishap going around 5-10 mph in deep sand!

I was hating life for a little part of the trip, but after getting home last night, I was SO HAPPY I went! Added tons of learning to my VERY limited dirt riding experience!

This was my 5 time off road. The only other major off road ride I have had was Pine Valley weekend before this one.

Loving seeing things I would never see on a sport bike.

The caves were amazing.

First, welcome.

Thanks for the advice!! Much appreciated!

Yesterday we rode out to Anza Mud Caves, what an adventure for someone like me that has NEVER been in the sand on a motorcycle! LOL

Only one small mishap going around 5-10 mph in deep sand!

I was hating life for a little part of the trip, but after getting home last night, I was SO HAPPY I went! Added tons of learning to my VERY limited dirt riding experience!

This was my 5 time off road. The only other major off road ride I have had was Pine Valley weekend before this one.

Loving seeing things I would never see on a sport bike.

The caves were amazing.

post-14896-093689800 1327361178_thumb.jp

post-14896-082020900 1327361269_thumb.jp

post-14896-088806700 1327361276_thumb.jp

post-14896-025413600 1327361304_thumb.jp