Crawdaddy

Core 4 Kids Fundraiser, March 23-25

Lane Ramsey (President of OC Dualies), Jeff Carlson (OC Dualie) and I went out to Glamis North KOA the weekend of Jan 7/8. We met with KOA mgmt and fine tuned plans that have been in discussion for months regarding an "all inclusive/family" fundraiser weekend to benefit the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation.

Details and Registration Info

Please call the KOA directly to reserve a "Kabin" or a Full hook-up space for your RV/Toybox on Friday/Sat. They also have a dedicated tent camping area. Bring gas jugs for your bikes/toys. (nearest gas is ~30 minutes away in Niland)

I left my house at O'Dark Thirty on Saturday the 7th. Stopped and snagged a quick pic of the sun rising over the Salton Sea on my out to Glamis North KOA

IMAG0001.jpg

A few pictures of the area....

The Shoe Tree

IMAG0007.jpg

The Bat Caves:

Picture073.jpg

The Oasis:

IMAG0008.jpg

Section of Meccacopia Trail:

IMAG0002.jpg

A portion of theBradshaw Trail

IMAG0011.jpg

High above Red Canyon:

IMAG0012.jpg

Down in Red Canyon:

P1040525.jpg

Nice to chill (boil?) in the mineral tubs after riding all day....then take a dip in one of the pools....

IMAG0005.jpg

I hope many of you will be able to join us! :smile_anim:

Dual-sport required, or off-road friendly?

Your level of Trust with the 300 is building. You trust her to get you back from the wilderness.

Yet Another fine event.

Laura put 75 miles on her quad on one of these trips so I'm guessing off road friendly. Plenty of other non-plated bikes, razors, etc in the area too.

EDIT: CORE flyer says off road friendly. Some great riding out there and kid friendly stuff around. KOA Kabin RESERVED.

Looks like a great event Chris! Will reg at CORE as we get closer.

Thanks Chris for organizing this! These types of events are a great way to enjoy a weekend with friends and raise funds for a great cause at the same time. It's a win-win.

I will be there. I will rally the troops and hopefully bring friends!

Looks like fun, Chris. Im glad they were finally able to finish the pools. I will try to come with some friends too.

Thanks Chris....I will be there....hope to bring the kids too . :D

NOTE on the KOA Glamis North:

This area is NOT like the Glamis sand dunes.....( I've told many people about the KOA and the first thing they say is "oh, I don't do Glamis".....)

I view this more like ocotillo wells or truckhaven, ( but less used and more scenic) ......good combo of hard pack, gravel, some sandy areas near batcaves and in canyons, some rocks, .....but the majority is Newb to intermediate friendly ......

AND those New Pools are in the 90 degree range, like giant jacuzzi's and they are soooo nice after riding all day,

Food at the restaurant is good, and the hosts are awesome! :king:

This looks like a great time, and a good place for a new rider to practice and learn more about riding! I am going to try and sign up!

This looks like a great time, and a good place for a new rider to practice and learn more about riding! I am going to try and sign up!

It'll be a blast. Some members of the O.C. Dualies "roll charted" my GPS tracks this past weekend. All riders said they enjoyed the layout.....you'll dig it.....

Link to a map of the KOA: http://koa.com/uploadedFiles/Campgrounds/Glamis_North_KOA/Sitemap/05452.pdf

You can save a few dollars by sharing a site down along the golf course (sites 91a/b-141a/b will accomodate 2 RVs/Toyboxes - directional/offsetting pull-in sites). I'll be in one of the pull through sites off Sunset Drive.

Hurry if you want a "Kabin" (Cal said they were close to being sold out) or a large pull through site on "Snob Hill" and/or along Sunset Drive or Tortilla Flats.....plenty of RV/tent sites

Bikes, quads, side by sides........no street plate required for most of the riding in the area....

KOAgroupMeccacopia.jpg

I've received some feedback asking for more info on the CORE 4 Kids Fundraiser in terms of the riding available in the area and on the day of the event.

I've been trying to emphasize the "Fundraiser"/"Family" themes to appeal to ALL vehicles (street plated and "stickered") rather than any specific "dualsport" loop.......frankly, there are lots of variations that folks could ride out there with street plated and/or "stickered" vehicles.....we'll be providing a map and choices will likely depend on whether participants are attending the fundraiser to ride around with family or ride a bigger/Dualsport "loop".

I WILL be providing a rollchart and/or GPS tracks for dualsport that could also be used by "stickered" vehicles (for the most part). "Stickered" vehicles will have a ~55 mile stretch after which they can get gas/lunch at Chiriaco Summit or continue riding the balance of ~50 miles back to the KOA. Street plated riders will have a "street plated only" option that will stretch things out to ~85 miles to gas/lunch and another ~50 miles after lunch.

There are no hardways per se but there are a couple of areas of deep sand and I will point those out to fundraiser registrants in the pre ride emails, briefing and maps.

The Fundraiser is just a one day event. Registration, T-Shirt, riding/swimming/mineral tubs/etc., evening meal on Saturday. Sunday is a free day to go back out and explore some of areas folks traversed or skipped on Sat when they got acquainted with the area.....

Hope to see you out there! :)

Info/Registration: http://crawdadoffroadevents.com/core-calendar/view/22

Hopefully somebody can answer this. How many kids will be there? There is concern that my 11 step daughter will be bored (remember when kids played outside...? )

She has a quad to ride but couldn't do the miles we did last time. If I coach her around the camp area and kids track, I'll miss all the long rides and good stuff (yes this is about me.... :king:

Sounds like a great time for a great cause. If I didn't have out of town guests that weekend I'd be in for sure. Maybe next time.....

Hopefully somebody can answer this. How many kids will be there? There is concern that my 11 step daughter will be bored (remember when kids played outside...? )

She has a quad to ride but couldn't do the miles we did last time. If I coach her around the camp area and kids track, I'll miss all the long rides and good stuff (yes this is about me.... :king:

I have no idea how many folks will be there with kids. But there are short options like the Bat Caves and Oasis. There two swimming pools, etc. too.

The main "Big" loop is only ~135 miles.....and that can be trimmed to ~80......you could blow off stopping for gas/lunch.....there are ways to trim down mileage/time so you're not gone that long.

I need to order T-Shirts and Roll Charts THIS week to have them in time for the ride......also need to give the KOA a head count for Sat night dinner.

PLEASE REGISTER ASAP if you're "IN" - THANKS!

Lane Ramsey (President of OC Dualies), Jeff Carlson (OC Dualie) and I went out to Glamis North KOA the weekend of Jan 7/8. We met with KOA mgmt and fine tuned plans that have been in discussion for months regarding an "all inclusive/family" fundraiser weekend to benefit the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation.

Details and Registration Info

Please call the KOA directly to reserve a "Kabin" or a Full hook-up space for your RV/Toybox on Friday/Sat. They also have a dedicated tent camping area. Bring gas jugs for your bikes/toys. (nearest gas is ~30 minutes away in Niland)

Down in Red Canyon:

P1040525.jpg

I hope many of you will be able to join us! :smile_anim:

Ken, I plan to bring my 11 year old daughter and a friend of hers out late friday evening, still working on logistics.

Thx. Just gave away the reservation on my Kabin yesterday. We won't be attending.

Ken, I plan to bring my 11 year old daughter and a friend of hers out late friday evening, still working on logistics.

But I MIGHT be bringing Mr11, but Mrs Bowers can't attend. Is there stuff he could do while I ride? He's reasonably responsible and self-sufficient.

Roger, are you bring "anybody"?

But I MIGHT be bringing Mr11, but Mrs Bowers can't attend. Is there stuff he could do while I ride? He's reasonably responsible and self-sufficient.

Roger, are you bring "anybody"?

I am not going riding, so we can keep an eye on him while you ride. As for things to do, I am not familier with the area yet, but I was hoping my truck will make it to the bat caves, and I think the kids will want to do some swimming, and take turns on the quad on the kids track. Just playing it by ear.

If anyone is lacking a mini machine for there kid out there let me know. I have an xr50 that is sitting that needs to be ridden. If you want to teach your kids its great. I have some others but they need a little tlc.

If anyone is lacking a mini machine for there kid out there let me know. I have an xr50 that is sitting that needs to be ridden. If you want to teach your kids its great. I have some others but they need a little tlc.

Mike thanks for the offer, but I want the girls on 4 wheels this weekend, I don't think it will be a problem for them taking turns. Are you going out to the event?

Mike thanks for the offer, but I want the girls on 4 wheels this weekend, I don't think it will be a problem for them taking turns. Are you going out to the event?

No, I cannot make it. Ken I do have a decent auto 110 quad if you wanted use it for the girls. They might really enjoy riding together. I can throw a battery in it and see how it is runnning.