daijones

Adv bike?

So looking for advice, great friend of mine in Wales who I stay with a few times a year and keep a bike with is looking to get a bike in US for a couple of years. He is a very good off road racer and recently got into tours and did a nice trip in Bhutan/Northern India 2 years ago and this year after driving/cruising around Alaska rented a harley to ride from Seatle to SD with his wife.

So next year they want to ride from SD to Boston over 3 weeks and want me to buy and prep them a bike, they will leave it with mutual friends and ride it back via southern route following year. They rode a 640 KTM in Bhutan and don't want a single again, the Harley was OK but no fun and they preferred the higher ride of the KTM adv bike so think that may be way forward.

So what choices, not a new bike so maybe $7/8k as will only be used for a few weeks a year, 2006 950 KTM was one option, BMW GS would be another, don't want anything too exotic that could be difficult for parts on the road, twin ideal. Oh and as I will probably ride the bike a bit before/after their trips and I'm not intrested in road riding something that can be ridden off-road would make it much more attractive than just sitting in my garage.

Early planning as they wont be doing trip tip next september but any ideas appreciated.

Triumph 800XC. By then you might be able to find a used one for that amount. It's an unbelievably good all around bike.

So looking for advice, great friend of mine in Wales who I stay with a few times a year and keep a bike with is looking to get a bike in US for a couple of years. He is a very good off road racer and recently got into tours and did a nice trip in Bhutan/Northern India 2 years ago and this year after driving/cruising around Alaska rented a harley to ride from Seatle to SD with his wife.

So next year they want to ride from SD to Boston over 3 weeks and want me to buy and prep them a bike, they will leave it with mutual friends and ride it back via southern route following year. They rode a 640 KTM in Bhutan and don't want a single again, the Harley was OK but no fun and they preferred the higher ride of the KTM adv bike so think that may be way forward.

So what choices, not a new bike so maybe $7/8k as will only be used for a few weeks a year, 2006 950 KTM was one option, BMW GS would be another, don't want anything too exotic that could be difficult for parts on the road, twin ideal. Oh and as I will probably ride the bike a bit before/after their trips and I'm not intrested in road riding something that can be ridden off-road would make it much more attractive than just sitting in my garage.

Early planning as they wont be doing trip tip next september but any ideas appreciated.

Don't know a lot about the other selections, but the V-Strom has been a good all around bike. I have the 650 which has plenty of power 2 up and I think a member here went 2 up on a 650 to Alaska and put about 50K miles on it total.

A nice pre 2012 (major changes) 650 can be had for 3500 - 5000 ish. http://www.stromtrooper.com/ is a good resource for research. It's not an exciting bike, but utilitarian and reliable.

You're welcome to take mine for a spin.

The KTM fan that I am.....

- hard to find (KTM Adventure Bikes) but they are out there

- the 06 - 950 would be ideal last year of the carb I think...

- assume it will have a decent resale value if taken care of

- will satisfy all your off road desires in addition to comfy pavement miles if need be

- would look good sitting next to the other orange bikes in the garage

I test rode most of the adventure bikes available before I bought my KTM 990. I bought the KTM because it was by far the most dirt capable of all the large bikes I rode. However after having it for about 6 months I can't begin to say what a fun street bike it is. It was the only bike tested that would do power wheelies in 1st and 2nd gear (not super important but really fun). Everything else just seemed really underpowered on the street after the 990 (the Dakar has the R motor so a little more power than the standard 950/990 models). Now Kug traded in his 950 to get the BMW 800 because he had lots of problems with the 950. I think most of the problems were sorted out on the later models and would probably be fixed by now on any older bike.

Covered in Dust

It was the only bike tested that would do power wheelies in 1st and 2nd gear (not super important but really fun).

I don't believe this.

I think I'd have to prove that to myself. On an old dirt highway midway between San Diego and Patagonia. Only then will I believe this claim.

So, if you don't mind, I'll pick up the bike in the spring.

KTM 950/990 if they want more dirt worthy.

Triumph 800 good for more street as Eddie said.

The V-Strom is another good alternative for less dirt, and less expensive. Works great off-road if you don't do more than fire roads.

It was the only bike tested that would do power wheelies in 1st and 2nd gear (not super important but really fun).

I don't believe this.

I think I'd have to prove that to myself. On an old dirt highway midway between San Diego and Patagonia. Only then will I believe this claim.

So, if you don't mind, I'll pick up the bike in the spring.

Paul if I'm not using the bike and you want to take if for a ride your welcome to it. I'm not sure about a month long ride to South America but a long weekend would not be out of the question.

CiD

Paul if I'm not using the bike and you want to take if for a ride your welcome to it. I'm not sure about a month long ride to South America but a long weekend would not be out of the question.

CiD

blink.gif Wow. With my bad mojo, I'm surprised at the generosity here- thanks. That's the second generous offer of a big bike loan I've had from SDAR members this month.

Thank you.

Thanks for the great input, would have never thought of the Triumph so have to look into that more along with others but KTM 950/990 keeps coming back as likely favourite if I can find a good one.

For what my opinion is worth...

I don't have anything recent to compare it to, but I find my '07 990 amazing. When I got it from the PO, it was stock, seat was too low, and suspension too soft, forks by a lot. You could ride it off road, like how a stock Jeep can be taken off road. I got the seat worked on and the suspension converted to S spec and revalved by Precision Concepts, and I would describe the transition (not that I have experience with either vehicle) as going from a stock 4wd F150 to a Trophy Truck. It will take hits, is compliant on little stuff, and is still an amazing street bike. The bike will go faster than I want to go. If you get one and fix it up for your buddy, you will probably have to get one for yourself.

Minor correction, sir:

800XC good everywhere. GREAT on the canyon roads, slab, and rough goat trails - and more than ample on fire trails.

Triumph 800 good for more street as Eddie said.

I don't have anything recent to compare it to, but I find my '07 990 amazing. When I got it from the PO, it was stock, seat was too low, and suspension too soft, forks by a lot. You could ride it off road, like how a stock Jeep can be taken off road. I got the seat worked on and the suspension converted to S spec and revalved by Precision Concepts, and I would describe the transition (not that I have experience with either vehicle) as going from a stock 4wd F150 to a Trophy Truck. It will take hits, is compliant on little stuff, and is still an amazing street bike. The bike will go faster than I want to go. If you get one and fix it up for your buddy, you will probably have to get one for yourself.

Will you please tell us the cost range to move to the "S" spec suspension?

I thought they were completely different forks, not just internals?

The number one adventure bike in the world is the R1200GS followed by the KTM 990 the two bike I think are great at what they do but they differ in what they excel in, The BMW is better on the street and the KTM is better off road.

Now let me say that everyone that replied failled to pick up on an important word on this request which is two up on the bike he's going to use the bike with two rider on it therefore the importance for serious offloading is really not that important, that leaves him with the GS as the only contender for the job it's used around the world bullet proof reliability besides few issues that are really old and can planned for early on. The GS is extremely comfortable two up and can be riden hard one up off road if the rider is good and you mentioned that in your info request that he raced bikes before so I have no doubt on his riding skills. I have riden mine with cases full and street tires up to Mike's Sky Rancho in Baja and I am an F rider and if this guy is an A or B+ rider he should have no problem..The GS is good the GSA is way better offroad and on road the only request I have is for you to buy him an 07 and up as the earlier ones had issues with abs unit $3800 part and labor and you can't cut corner on this one only BMW has the part I had known about the problem and ignored it saying it won't happen to me well it did and that's how I ended up with my new GSA because I refuse to pay for ABS.You can find a GS or a GSA without ABS option they are hard to find but you can if time is on your hand the reason I give you this option it's because of the budget that you have to play with 7k to 8k.I honestly believe that you can't go wrong with either bike but for the money and reliability and especially the comfort of two up I think the GS or GSA.Now we all have something we don't like about a bike for me it's the diving on an emergency braking situation especially riding on two lane roads or on fire road and that is why I am biased in choosing a BMW. You can go to any BMW dealer and they will let you have a used bike to try for a whole day maybe even two and most of them will have knobbies on them.

Will you please tell us the cost range to move to the "S" spec suspension?

I thought they were completely different forks, not just internals?

I think the all up price was around $1200, and probably half that was parts. The cartridge tube and piston rod is different, and I think there is a different spacer in the shock. Among the parts I got back was the shock piston and what look to be fork base valves. So,.. conversion parts, fork springs, fork and shock service and revalving.

It is worth mentioning that after getting the suspension done and the seat fixed so that it could be ridden like a real dirt bike, this thing is TALL, and I am not short. I have to stretch to flat foot on both sides, and that is with 36" jeans.

I also think it is pretty good 2 up, but I have only ridden with my kids, and they probably aren't too picky.

Matt who did your seat? My knees were killing me after 300 miles a couple of weeks ago so a couple of inches more seat height would be worth it to me.

Chris

I had it done by XPC Racing in Murrieta, the 1.5 week turnaround actually turned into something like a month. I rode up and talked to them (him), and they were supposed to do the seat on an exchange basis. Since it was delayed, he sent a guy down to hand deliver it. It was on the wrong seat base, though, so he ended up taking my seat and turned that in a week.

The place is a side business, the main business is foam in it's various forms, so they theoretically know foam. He described the foam they use in the seating area as a 'slow recovery' foam, and I think it is maybe too slow. In a multi day ride, it feels a little too beat down after a couple of days. The cover has also developed bit of slack. I am pretty sure I can get these things resolved, I just haven't tried yet. Since my daughter wants to go for a ride tomorrow, maybe I will head up there.

I thought the stock seat was way to soft, and too close to the pegs to do the seating-standing transition regularly. The modified seat is way better.

The number one adventure bike in the world is the R1200GS followed by the KTM 990 the two bike I think are great at what they do but they differ in what they excel in, The BMW is better on the street and the KTM is better off road.

Now let me say that everyone that replied failled to pick up on an important word on this request which is two up on the bike he's going to use the bike with two rider on it therefore the importance for serious offloading is really not that important, that leaves him with the GS as the only contender for the job it's used around the world bullet proof reliability besides few issues that are really old and can planned for early on. The GS is extremely comfortable two up and can be riden hard one up off road if the rider is good and you mentioned that in your info request that he raced bikes before so I have no doubt on his riding skills. I have riden mine with cases full and street tires up to Mike's Sky Rancho in Baja and I am an F rider and if this guy is an A or B+ rider he should have no problem..The GS is good the GSA is way better offroad and on road the only request I have is for you to buy him an 07 and up as the earlier ones had issues with abs unit $3800 part and labor and you can't cut corner on this one only BMW has the part I had known about the problem and ignored it saying it won't happen to me well it did and that's how I ended up with my new GSA because I refuse to pay for ABS.You can find a GS or a GSA without ABS option they are hard to find but you can if time is on your hand the reason I give you this option it's because of the budget that you have to play with 7k to 8k.I honestly believe that you can't go wrong with either bike but for the money and reliability and especially the comfort of two up I think the GS or GSA.Now we all have something we don't like about a bike for me it's the diving on an emergency braking situation especially riding on two lane roads or on fire road and that is why I am biased in choosing a BMW. You can go to any BMW dealer and they will let you have a used bike to try for a whole day maybe even two and most of them will have knobbies on them.

Thanks for the info, yes 2 up is critical, he is 200# and I won't ask his wife how much she weighs but with bike gear and luggage they will be near 400# total so GS or GSA for their mainly road trip would work well. He had a R90S a few years ago that he bought off my dad and wished he never sold it so I know he would be happy with this choice.

But as I will likely have more opportunities to ride this bike than he will and not really wanting to ride on paved or dirt roads I just don't see me riding the BMW around Corral Canyon or McCain wheras on the KTM I could be tempted to see how silly I could get on it.

Much to ponder on, a test ride from dealer does sound like a good idea though.

Thanks Matt, appreciate the input.

But $1200 on suspension update is quite a lot, I don't even spend that on my enduro bike but does sound like a huge improvement. Do you think stock bike with just upgraded springs and maybe higher fork oil level would be enough for them 2 up mainly street riding with a little fire roads etc? Thinking then after they come back the following year we could go the full S level upgrade and I could use it mainly off-road.