Where did Paul go ? :blink:

Let the record show Kug hid behind a tree at the intersection and watched me ride by so he could:

1. Claim he waited.

2. Snicker while I continued for 40-ish minutes of hard riding waiting to catch up with the pack.

rolleyes.gif

I just got an iphone and decided that cause my smart phone I didn't need to write down directions to the trailhead. Too bad I didn't have any reception in Anza, couldn't remember the trailhead name and got lost... The lesson not to rely on technology would prevail through the day...

Lots of snow on the 8E

post-14322-081015600 1320605666_thumb.jp

Snow in the mountains as seen from the desert floor

post-14322-042379400 1320605278_thumb.jp

Hey guys, I'm loaded and ready to ride..... oh wait.... nobody is here

post-14322-010786600 1320605252_thumb.jp

I followed their tracks down Canyon Sin Nombre

post-14322-097505800 1320605255_thumb.jp

This led me to S2 and I figured they had to go South from here but I didn't want to chase them on highway

post-14322-049279500 1320605259_thumb.jp

I went off exploring by myself. Vallecito Wash to Arroyo Seco Del Diablo

post-14322-016212600 1320605263_thumb.jp

I missed the turnoff to continue down Arroyo Seco (towards Diablo Dropoff and Fish Creek where I figured the group would be headed). I found myself at Arroyo Tapido, knew a way route home and went exploring up the wash. It came to a dead end so I turned around and ran into a Creativist riding solo. We spoke of trails longed and lost and headed back to the turnoff. There we ran into Bagstr who had come looking for Paul. I was the only NON-ktm on the ride (well if you don't include the Beta who showed up)

post-14322-091030000 1320605266_thumb.jp

Later we ran into more problems. Nothing Bagstr, Paul and I couldn't solve with some "bashful" driving in my truck haha. Thanks Bushwhacker for staying and watching the bikes. I'm glad I could help. Good luck Paul. One would hope Karma was to be earned for saving the Explorer, maybe its on layaway til next time.

post-14322-004914000 1320605271_thumb.jp

Ah, HERE is the trailhead sign I was looking for....

post-14322-097000900 1320605274_thumb.jp

Until next time

post-14322-095648500 1320605247_thumb.jp

Ok, I think I found it. I'm not making any commitment until it runs and rides, but...

I removed the flywheel cover to discover a LOT of metal shavings stuck like a silver afro on the pulsar coil. A LOT of it. Enough to close the gap between the pulsar coil and the flywheel. Further examination revealed the bolts holding the stator had backed out (BAD mechanic) allowing the flywheel to be scraped by the stator. Not much, but enough to shave the flywheel and/or the stator poles. I suspect that is what caused the "bog"- the ignition being fooled by the metal mass between the pulsar coil and the flywheel.

The engine became hard to kick once the metal filings jammed up between the stator and the flywheel.

This is great news (so far, see opening disclaimer) as most of the metal was captured by the magnet in the coli and/or flywheel.

So. Maybe LAb2V after all. Stay tuned.

Maybe.

Hopefully.

Perhaps.

Thanks again guys for allowing me to kill off the latter half of YOUR ride, as well as Strega's and RiggerDans. I feel worse about that than the bike itself.

Where did Paul go ? :blink:

Let the record show Kug hid behind a tree at the intersection and watched me ride by so he could:

1. Claim he waited.

2. Snicker while I continued for 40-ish minutes of hard riding waiting to catch up with the pack.

rolleyes.gif

:( My Bad ! But But they have radios. But But they were not working . :(

Well, they were were working, but I was sweeping way behind and out of range, as the dust was getting, well, dusty. But I like the part where you said I was riding pretty fast when I went by!

Well, they were were working, but I was sweeping way behind and out of range, as the dust was getting, well, dusty. But I like the part where you said I was riding pretty fast when I went by!

Speaking of fast--- Bagster was on the gas or I am geting old and slow. :tired:

Thanks for the ride Bagstr, It was nice meeting all of you and don't you guys feel warm and fuzzy pushing the suv out.

Thanks for the ride Bagstr, It was nice meeting all of you and don't you guys feel warm and fuzzy pushing the suv out.

Yes.

After you split off, I never got the chance to thank you. Of all 7 of us, you were the only one to offer help other than directions to the stranded folks. You dragged our collective asses over and, because of you, we were able to help out.

Thanks for being the conscientious voice of the group!

Thus the Good Sam Award goes to Beta450. Thanks for giving the guy a second chance, whether he wanted it or not.

In our initial conversation I offered to have the group push him out. They were more interested in finding their friends supposedly camped nearby. ( By walking across the open desert )

Have you ever seen more conflicted decision makers? I loved Kug's comment,"Whatever you do, you have five minutes to decide." smile_anim.gif

Still hard to believe he dropped into that sand hole with a two wheel drive Explorer. Possibly, the thought of seven Off-roaders laying hands on his rig put him off.

Thus the Good Sam Award goes to Beta450. Thanks for giving the guy a second chance, whether he wanted it or not.

Have you ever seen more conflicted decision makers? I loved Kug's comment,"Whatever you do, you have five minutes to decide." smile_anim.gif

Agreed. I couldn't decide if he was trying to keep his dignity, or was so tired he was not thinking straight. He had six guys, all experienced off-road types, ready to help. And his eyes kinda crossed with indecision. In the end, he made the right choice, but I thought he was going to just give up instead.

Sidenote: I'm trying to put together a little video of the ride. Any music suggestions? I'm thinking guitar solos etc. Send me a song name or youtube link and i'll convert it. Thanks

Ok, I think I found it. I'm not making any commitment until it runs and rides, but...

I removed the flywheel cover to discover a LOT of metal shavings stuck like a silver afro on the pulsar coil. A LOT of it. Enough to close the gap between the pulsar coil and the flywheel. Further examination revealed the bolts holding the stator had backed out (BAD mechanic) allowing the flywheel to be scraped by the stator. Not much, but enough to shave the flywheel and/or the stator poles. I suspect that is what caused the "bog"- the ignition being fooled by the metal mass between the pulsar coil and the flywheel.

The engine became hard to kick once the metal filings jammed up between the stator and the flywheel.

This is great news (so far, see opening disclaimer) as most of the metal was captured by the magnet in the coli and/or flywheel.

So. Maybe LAb2V after all. Stay tuned.

Maybe.

Hopefully.

Perhaps.

Thanks again guys for allowing me to kill off the latter half of YOUR ride, as well as Strega's and RiggerDans. I feel worse about that than the bike itself.

I hate to rain on your parade, but metal shavings in the stator means metal throughout the engine. This means a complete teardown and cleanup of all the parts in that circuit of oil, which I believe is the engine side :dead: . Sorry to say it, but if you want to make the LA-B-V get started on the teardown now.

:dead: . Sorry to say it, but if you want to make the LA-B-V get started on the teardown now.

Interesting, then, that the oil from the crankcase came out clean, and the oil screens had very little contamination.

We'll see, and I appreciate your input.

:dead: . Sorry to say it, but if you want to make the LA-B-V get started on the teardown now.

Interesting, then, that the oil from the crankcase came out clean, and the oil screens had very little contamination.

It's a KTM they are bullet proof. Just change the oil and filters and ride her hard and put her away wet.

CiD

VIDEO

I tried to keep it short for all the ADD types. Are these videos getting better? Critiques please

Pull the valvecover and see if there's anything inside. Maybe you truly got lucky. Definitely locktite those stator bolts.

The only thing bulletproof is Superman.

Yup. I'm due for a valve adjust anyway. The oil feed line to the cam cover was clear, but I'll get the covers off tomorrow.

Ps 650 bum I liked your song thanks. I need to be riding faster to justify that guitar!