P1000312Shdws1000w-L.jpg

P10003101000w-L.jpg

P10003111000w-L.jpg

P10003191000w-L.jpg

P10003151000w-L.jpg

P10003331000w-L.jpg

P10003401000w-L.jpg

P10003341000w-L.jpg

Developed a countershaft oil leak we couldn't fix and that shortened to trip. We will need to go back to see Smokey Mountain and the Navajo Trail.

I always love your pics...and I can't wait to be out there again in a few weeks!!! How was the weather, temps?.....

Very Nice :good:

Glad you were able to visit Bar 10/snag a camping spot at Toroweap

Go green!

P10003151000w-L.jpg

Your pictures are amazing. Vibrant with color.

Thanks for sharing.

A very jealous Spyder.

Chris,

Those folks at Bar 10 are Top Notch. We arrived about 1:00PM just as a bus-load from the airport in shorts showed. And, 13 bike riders we had been leap frogging all day. Luckily, we got the Wrangler (on a Quad) to dispense fuel Before the Overnight 13. Cus we had miles to go to Toroweap. Sure would have been nice to catch a shower and grub but the Camping at Toroweap is Not to be missed!

Thanks again for sharing tracks. There were many turns along the way from Mesquite that would have taken awhile to sort.

Funny Story: So Steve and I are Leap Frogging 13 moto riders out of the Bay Area USING YOUR TRACKS. You give those to anyone! Nice gents really. There was a guy with Every conceivable farkle possible on his 690. British front fuel like Hoss, windscreen the works! NO SWEEP RIDER. The last guy is on a 450 BM. They stopped at the Hideout and we moved on after brief chat. So at the next gate the BM discovers he drove off without zipping his tank bag, Which is where he stores his Wallet. Needless to say he left it on the trail. Turns around to chase it down. Un-funny part is he has no GPS and No idea where he is. Ten minutes later, a leader returns ant takes off to retrieve the guy.

Fast forward to Bar 10, Sat call from BM. Lost !! No Idea. I hope they found the BM'r.

Idea, this is such a great ride, you should lead a group out there!

party.gif

Spyder,

Thanks, we hit the spring bloom perfect. Rain just days before our arrival.

The Capt'n and I had a good time out there in the BLM camp east of Kanab,,,with the Green cans.

Things got Magical, he even turned into an Elk!.

P10003191000w-L.jpg

"Idea, this is such a great ride, you should lead a group out there!"

Funny man!

Last rider with no GPS/map. Great plan. Lost. He now has a story tell. If you hear it, let us know.

Glad to have you back. I followed you on your Spot. Consider bread crumbs. It looks like you flew to your stops. It must be the 690 and rocket fuel.

Thanks again for sharing tracks. There were many turns along the way from Mesquite that would have taken awhile to sort

In 2004, we found our way from Mesquite to Toroweap, then to Moab on backcountry trails and dirt roads using only a AAA Indian Country Map....worked great, never got lost.

Nice pix and ride report !

I always love your pics...and I Ican't wait to be out there again in a few weeks!!! How was the weather, temps?.....

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Kanab&state=UT&site=SLC&textField1=37.0475&textField2=-112.526&e=1

Deb,

If you can manage, arrive on a weekday to snag a campsite. There are only about ten sites, Three accessible to SUV's, then down a rocky step to the good sites. You can camp north in the NF, but that is 45 minutes and 1000-1500ft. The place filled on the Friday we were on site. We arrived about 4:00PM.

Funny Story: About sundown, we are hangin' with the ADV group of 6 two camps over. I had been up on the rocks just before and saw a wild crew approaching in a Clapped Out Stick shift import truck, two door Loaded with kids, Mom, bouncing left, right, up, down, near to being tossed out of the bed. Here they come, dragging parts down the rock step, driven by a 20 something kid complere with leaking header. Total Hoot! We saluted and clapped. We were giggly on Green Beer, what did we know.

"You can camp north in the NF, but that is 45 minutes and 1000-1500ft."

More detail?

Dry camping, no site?

Chris,

Those folks at Bar 10 are Top Notch. We arrived about 1:00PM just as a bus-load from the airport in shorts showed. And, 13 bike riders we had been leap frogging all day. Luckily, we got the Wrangler (on a Quad) to dispense fuel Before the Overnight 13. Cus we had miles to go to Toroweap. Sure would have been nice to catch a shower and grub but the Camping at Toroweap is Not to be missed!

Thanks again for sharing tracks. There were many turns along the way from Mesquite that would have taken awhile to sort.

Funny Story: So Steve and I are Leap Frogging 13 moto riders out of the Bay Area USING YOUR TRACKS. You give those to anyone! Nice gents really. There was a guy with Every conceivable farkle possible on his 690. British front fuel like Hoss, windscreen the works! NO SWEEP RIDER. The last guy is on a 450 BM. They stopped at the Hideout and we moved on after brief chat. So at the next gate the BM discovers he drove off without zipping his tank bag, Which is where he stores his Wallet. Needless to say he left it on the trail. Turns around to chase it down. Un-funny part is he has no GPS and No idea where he is. Ten minutes later, a leader returns ant takes off to retrieve the guy.

Fast forward to Bar 10, Sat call from BM. Lost !! No Idea. I hope they found the BM'r.

Idea, this is such a great ride, you should lead a group out there!

party.gif

My Grand Canyon loop tracks have been downloaded in excess of 800 times on ADVRider: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514339

The Bar 10 tracks are a subset/option in that file though those older tracks are not as good as my current CORE tracks/waypoints

As you know, we're headed back in October with a few new wrinkles......

I suspect it will not be long there will be hords of rowdy groups making this trek because we have publicised it so much. Just a question of time before the Park service will have to bring all the controls we see in the rest of the Park ruining the soitude and serenty that makes it so appealing. Development and controls are just around the corner. Sorry to be such a pessimist Chris, but old guys hate to see things change this way.

My Grand Canyon loop tracks have been downloaded in excess of 800 times on ADVRider: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514339

The Bar 10 tracks are a subset/option in that file though those older tracks are not as good as my current CORE tracks/waypoints

As you know, we're headed back in October with a few new wrinkles......

You sure you really want to do this to this area?

Personally, I would much rather have guys on motorcycles frequent the area as opposed to tree huggers who would try stopping us from riding.

Personally, I would much rather have guys on motorcycles frequent the area as opposed to tree huggers who would try stopping us from riding.

False Dilemma.

The cost of fuel will Not be going down anytime soon. We hit Lost Wages 4:00PM Sunday. I though OMG, the traffic! Only slowdown was the Agriculture Inspection.

The point being, the cost of fuel will keep many away. We were on the Second Mesa, Hopi Nation this spring. The guy running the Craft Store, " I never thought I would say I miss the White Man." My wife and I were the first customers he had had All Week!

An alternate view; the more people who know that wild places exist, the more there are to protect them.

P10003081000w-L.jpg

Nothing to see, move along!

An alternate view; the more people who know that wild places exist, the more there are to protect them.

Agreed......and that knowledge is enhanced after a physical visit to the area(s)......then the informed become the advocates for protection.....

If you can manage, arrive on a weekday to snag a campsite......

Our entire itinerary will depend on the groups' ride/meal plan, which may include lunch at bar10 one day....but our original plan was to be at toroweep on sunday evening, so hopefully we'll be good....

Agreed......and that knowledge is enhanced after a physical visit to the area(s)......then the informed become the advocates for protection.....

Agreed...as a general rule.

But this area is already under Federal protection. Most of the areas I ride in Norther Arizona and Southern Utah are Federal Lands under their mandate to protect and preserve them. I am always under the direction of signs ordering "Bicycles and Motor Vehicles Must Stay on Established Roads", "Camp only in Designated Areas", or "All Pet and Human Waste Must be Packed Out". Grand Staircase Escalante is a National Monument reserved for Nature Research (impressive Dinosaur finds). Glen Canyon is a Recreational Area and requires boats to have porta potties and doggie poop bags. Vermillion Cliffs requires hiking permits in popular Slot Canyons. Toroweep is one of the few places where you can visit the Canyon and not be supervised by a Ranger, concrete walkways and guard rails. My concern is that tour groups of 50+ motorcycles will force the Park Service begin to "manage" the area. Toroweep's secret is already out with other groups. On my last visit last summer I was enjoying a peaceful afternoon when a large PINK off road Tour Buss from Las Vegas drove up and 30 foreign tourists got out and began acting like tourists. I doubt the Rangers missed that one.

The Ca Deserts got closed off for many reasons...overcrowding, encroching development, abuse by off roader etc.. It was not uncommon for desert race promoter to sign up 700 to 1000 entrants. The start of a 90 mile open class race would have made Ocotillo Wells on a Thanksgiving Day weekend look like a drive in the park.

I make the drive to my Place in Page frequently. Once the Memorial Day Weekend hits and the school let out the price of gas doesn't stifle traffic. We get many bussloads of foreign tourists passing through Page. I have taken to staying home and off the Lake on holliday weekends.

We passed the Pink Buss coming out as we rode in. Luckily the tourist didn't camp.

Good news is we had no company out on the BLM land east of Kanab. Unless you count coyotes and cows.

Could be an answer to the issue in that. The World Class View spots will have traffic, just visit the

World Class -1 locations and enjoy solitude.

Don, I take your point about large groups. That group of 13 motos we leap frogged was creating chaos.

Tough to protect what you are seeking when we have such easy access.

We passed the Pink Buss coming out as we rode in. Luckily the tourist didn't camp.

Bummer...I was hoping they would be out of business by now.

I know the BLM land east of Kanab where you guys camped Dave. Nice stand of Pinyon Pines, great spot. I often stop there and let the Dogs take a break. How was the restaurant in Kanab?

Don,

Houston's was great! On the road you are lucky to get one good meal a day. Sausage Skillet Breakfast, mmm. Hashbrown, home made sausage and bisquits, two eggs over easy finished with gravy. Thanks for the recommend. The "experienced" server wore a holster for napkins and straws. Western decor, +++.

Dave

Bags,

I have seen your plexi rack on your bike. How well did it work?

Does Capt. have a rack on his dirt bike? His luggage looks tall. How well did it stay on?