SteelRain

OK who was it?!

Hey, hey, whats with the VTwin bashing? I ride a big VTwin. Not a HD (I would never pay 20 grand for a five thousand dollar motorcycle with a 15 thousand dollar name). But cruising with a group of friends is as fun as riding in the dirt. And sorry but I would never try to ride my 650 from SD to Vegas.

No issues with V twins in general (V stroms and Ducatis are V twins too) or even Harleys "in particular"... The guy revving his V twin outside the restaurant for half my meal was on a Harley- if he had been on a crotch rocket, GoldWing or Dual Sport, the net result would be the same

As for "rolling roadblocks"- they "tend" to be large groups of bikes, that "tend" to belong to one brand, and they "tend" to ridicule other bikes as a matter of habit...plus they have "their rules" about formations, etc. Riding a Harley doesn't make you anything but another rider :thumbsup:...riding in a group so big and slow, and one that does not allow others to "ride their ride" makes you a tool in my eyes. Its pretty basic manners; if your group dictates how others behave, maybe you should make some changes- crashing a meeting of another brand and speaking your mind is just lame

If my dual sport group was so large that it caused issues, we would aplit it up (as we often do)...if I am on a twisty road, and a group of sport bikes catches up to me (it could happen) I would GLADLY pull over and let them by...granted, I would then ride right on their tail, but I would let them by

Fish- I meant no real harm, and would never generalize an individual by what they ride...

V-twins kick ass...even Viragos...you're on a bike; that's what matters- I don't even care if somebody wants to ride a bike that is overpriced...their money; their choice...impact to me is nil...start hogging (get it?) A large segment of road though, and it starts to bother me

Hey, hey, whats with the VTwin bashing? I ride a big VTwin. Not a HD (I would never pay 20 grand for a five thousand dollar motorcycle with a 15 thousand dollar name). But cruising with a group of friends is as fun as riding in the dirt. And sorry but I would never try to ride my 650 from SD to Vegas.

No issues with V twins in general (V stroms and Ducatis are V twins too) or even Harleys "in particular"... The guy revving his V twin outside the restaurant for half my meal was on a Harley- if he had been on a crotch rocket, GoldWing or Dual Sport, the net result would be the same

As for "rolling roadblocks"- they "tend" to be large groups of bikes, that "tend" to belong to one brand, and they "tend" to ridicule other bikes as a matter of habit...plus they have "their rules" about formations, etc. Riding a Harley doesn't make you anything but another rider :thumbsup:...riding in a group so big and slow, and one that does not allow others to "ride their ride" makes you a tool in my eyes. Its pretty basic manners; if your group dictates how others behave, maybe you should make some changes- crashing a meeting of another brand and speaking your mind is just lame

If my dual sport group was so large that it caused issues, we would aplit it up (as we often do)...if I am on a twisty road, and a group of sport bikes catches up to me (it could happen) I would GLADLY pull over and let them by...granted, I would then ride right on their tail, but I would let them by

Fish- I meant no real harm, and would never generalize an individual by what they ride...

V-twins kick ass...even Viragos...you're on a bike; that's what matters- I don't even care if somebody wants to ride a bike that is overpriced...their money; their choice...impact to me is nil...start hogging (get it?) A large segment of road though, and it starts to bother me

bob, thanks for the laugh, again... If it lasts more than 4 hours call your doctor.

I was there. Pretty close to what happened. I was finishing my dinner when I was approached by the club Prez who asked me to come and talk to these people wearing all the typical girl scout regalia. Brownie pins, badges, ribbons, etc.

There were 6 of them. Bobby - Asst Director, Doc - Safety Officer, Mitch - HEAD Road Capt, Gabby - Membership, and 2 other guys.

The "Doc" mentioned is their Safety Officer. He must have been a doctor - that's what his patch said. He wanted to address us about BMW Riders invading their sovereign territory, crossing double yellow lines and generally being extremely unsafe. When told that the club doesn't have rules, per se, and we don't tell peopel how to ride... Well, he got upset. The assistant director suggested we deal with it, or he'd take it to the "other MCs who have volunteered to deal with it." At this point someone points out that their rigid paradelike riding practices were - IN PART - to blame for the tragedy in Ocotillo. oops.

Anyway, these asshats demanded time in our meeting. The Prez graciously gave then 5 minutes after the meeting was over. They took 20. More talk of sovereign territory, passing and entering their pack is an ATTACK and will be dealt with, there will be consequences, blah blah blah. One of our members raised his hand and mentioned that as a lifetime HOG member, he was really offended by their presentation and threats.

We were able to assure them that if they insisted on unsafely driving less than the speed limit on the roads we ride, we will be forced to pass them - and yes, if their parade is long enough, we will be popping in and out of the formation - OR they could break formation and give us 30" of clearance. They were outraged.

All in all - they were not pleased with their reception. Gee, maybe they should have contacted us first and asked to give a presentation before invading our meeting.

The next HOG magazine had some choice words about how rudely they were treated at the bmw meeting.

I notice they have stopped posting their planned routes on the SD Hog website. Bastards.

This was from a different riding group and happened earlier this year. Maybe "someone" will chime in who was there to witness this....

Of course Edited version.

""""On a totally different subject, "so and so" wants to alert all of us local BMW

riders to be very careful when near any goups of Harley Riders. He

says that at the last Tuesday BMWOCSD meeting at Giovanni's, a group of

surely Harley guys marched in uninvited and took over the lectern,

warning the assemblage that there will be "serious consequences" if the

BMW riders continue to disrupt their group rides, which the Hogs

consider their "sovereign territory". He says the following about all this:

"Something kind of funny happen in last night BMW meeting. This group

show up unannounced and asking our riders not to cut into their

formation-ride (group ride). Telling us cutting into their formation is

like invasion of their sovereignty and scaring their new riders. It was

quite amusing to most of our members, but for these guys they are very

serious. There is another guy not in the picture, the bald-head

introduced him as DR. something. DR Harley give us a speech about how

not to ride in and out of their group and their safety concerns of their

riders. After that the bald-headed guy kind of threating us by saying

there will be consequence if it happen again, since we had been warned.

Since we all ride BMWs, I want you guys to know about it."

Attached is a photo of the disruptive Hogs at last Tuesday's BMW

meeting. It must have been a real sight to see this large group of

BMWOGSD members rendered speechless by these ill dressed, bushy Hogs! """

Have fun out there!

Spyder

I am posting this in jest, and because Friday is always "bash harley" day...

All this time on the forum and I had no idea there was an official day for this! :lmaosmiley:

I've been thinking about this Harley thing for a while now. I live on a heavily trafficked street. I also happen to work at home so I listen to every manner of combustion vehicle travel back and forth, day after day. I don't have a problem with this; it's white noise.

But there is one sound I hate: super loud cruisers that FRAAAAAAAAPPPPP up the stoplight and then FRAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPP away from it. It's not just that it's loud -- it's a disturbing kind of sound that cuts the ear. There's nothing musical about it, like other loud exhausts can be. It just sounds straight-up like a raging sack of sh!t. I take solace in the fact that the rider probably has anger management issues and will eventually see the inside of a holding cell -- payback, dear sir, is a b!tch.

That's my rant. If you ride a cruiser that doesn't go FRAAAAAAAAAPPPPPP, thank you from the bottom of my heart for not compensating for inadequacies via the exhaust system.

I take solace in the fact that the rider probably has anger management issues and will eventually see the inside of a holding cell -- payback, dear sir, is a b!tch.

The interesting part of this, is that when I see them stopped for gas they always have earplugs in. Even they can't stand their own noise. :torch:

The interesting part of this, is that when I see them stopped for gas they always have earplugs in. Even they can't stand their own noise. :torch:

And we all know they aren't riding fast enough to have to worry about wind noise!

:lol::heh::rolleyes:

This thread is better than any of the currently reality shows on TV.. Where's my popcorn..:thumbsup_anim:

This thread is better than any of the currently reality shows on TV.. Where's my popcorn..:thumbsup_anim:

Wait until it starts bagging on all the "dirt bike/dual sport riders" with loud aftermarket exhausts too (because it sounds cool - I've heard people say that)! :torch:

Bless the SDAR board. Cheaper than therapy.

Wait until it starts bagging on all the "dirt bike/dual sport riders" with loud aftermarket exhausts too (because it sounds cool - I've heard people say that)! :torch:

I'm with you. For the most part on today's DS Bikes there is really no reason to change an exhaust.

The two reasons I can think of that warrant an exhaust upgrade would be to meet Forest Service Spark Arrest or Sound guidelines or to lose some weight that sits high on the bike.

I know for sure that I can't ride my bike to it's current potential so an exhaust sure isn't gonna make me faster.

Well I have been trying to shoehorn a Harley engine into my KTM frame for the last couple of weeks just so I could run straight pipes and be really cool out on the trail. I don't care if my bike would then weigh a ton and handle like crap, just think how cool I would look and sound. I was also thinking about some of those cool leather thingies that hang from the end of the bars. And a big spike for the top of my helmet so everyone will know how tough I am.

Covered in April Fools

Were the people who invaded the BMW meeting on some sort of drugs? What kind of response were they expecting? "Why yes, Mr. HD dude, we have control over the way that every BMW owner out there rides their motorcycles and we'll be sure that none of them ever offends your lot again."

I only know a few HD owners and they're all pretty cool and they certainly don't ride slow. Anyway, one day I'm sitting at a stop light at 67 & Poway Road on my DRZ when 2 guys on HDs split lanes to the front of the line where I'm at. One of them rides up the side of me as close as he can get, slows and FRAAAAAAAAPPPPPs the throtle at me and then cuts in front of me. These guys are wearing jackets with some sort of club logo on it. I thought it was some sort of gang logo. I ride home and tell Baldbeemer what happened and told him about the logo. Baldbeemer starts laughing his a$$ off. Turns out the logo was for a riding club made up mostly by LEOs and their fonder is a friend of ours. smiley-laughing001.gif

Side note: I am in no way bashing LEOs. As some of you know I am quite fond of them. I just thought it was ironic.

I think loud dual-sports are every bit as bad, and loud dirt bikes in multi-use areas are just as bad, if not worse

In an OHV area, or closed course, not as big a deal...

My Yamaha is a little louder than I'd like, but not much I can do about that, but when I dual sport it to an area, I coast down the driveway, fire it up away from the neighbors, then RIDE it

I don't blip the throttle at stoplights, in parking lots, cruising down Newport, etc.

as for the Girl Scout Vests... does not impact me in the least, therefore if that makes the experience more fun for them, go for it

Since it is now Friday (working 6 days a week makes me get ahead of myself some times... since it is now Friday, TWICE in the past week I have seen guys riding bikes and smoking... pretty sure they don't have an ashtray... jerks... again; it is a COINCIDENCE what kind of bike they were riding

oh yeah- squids on sportbikes using the freeway as their personal stunt location bugs me too... that also impacts others

...TWICE in the past week I have seen guys riding bikes and smoking...

If one of them had a Cigar on a Road king with a Irish Flag on the back and a sticker that saiy "The jokes on you" with the Joker's face on it, that is one of the guys in my area... He lives in Alpine.

Tells everyone what a POS they ride everychance he gets. Then gets outridght owned in a "drag race" with me while I was on the WR; I was only down 50+hp

Funny thing is he has been in 7 crashes in three years and alwyas blames the cars he rear ends.

In an OHV area, or closed course, not as big a deal...

It could very well be a big deal. I know of one particular (actually WAS excellent) trail in Big Bear (Not an open area, but an OHV area regardless) that was closed due to noise. Sound checks are happening now in our OHV areas - it is becoming a bigger deal.

Closed course? Well, apparently that can become a big deal too. Take a look at this article about sound issues at Pala Raceway:

Pala Raceway to address noise pollution

[soapbox]

Like you said, 99% of the casual riders (even those that race) can't put all that power to the ground effectively anyways. And "I like the way it sounds" is akin to the old "playing cards in the spokes" thing. Grow up and stop ruining it for everyone else because "you like how it sounds"(On or off road). Oh, and sorry, but many of us (and I include myself here) could better stand to lose 5 pounds from even higher up on the bike (my mid-section) before losing 5 pounds from a louder/aftermarket exhaust. I'd bet the performance gains would be even better too!

[/soapbox]

On the lighter side - this thread reminds me of one of my favorite South Park episodes of all time!

The F Word

And as long as we're on the Harly Bashing train, I got this from a friend at work:

I started a loud pipe discussion awhile back on one of the Harley forums, and posted the Loud Pipe Small Penis video....you can guess some of the remarks I got.

I started a loud pipe discussion awhile back on one of the Harley forums, and posted the Loud Pipe Small Penis video....you can guess some of the remarks I got.

:heh::lol::D

I bet! You don't happen to have a link, do you?

I ride a harley, and I have to agree with all you hahaa...Although, my harley is the most technologically advanced one available, it's a 1947! :heh: As for slow....I'll have you know my bike doesn't puke oil out until 75 MPH. XD

" I just wanted to let you know, your FN Fags."

I can imagine that aired on tv, but very funny.

This was the BEST South Park Episode EVER.

This was the BEST South Park Episode EVER.

+1

Damn... So are you guys gonna throw rocks at me if I show up for the Ham Radio class tomorrow on my Street Glide ? I promise all I ever rock is a flannel, jeans and a pair of Chuck Taylors !! I know not really ATTGATT. But I would ask if any of you ever catch me in a Girl Scout vest and chaps, please take my keys, restrain me and Dial 911. Somebody has obviously slipped drugs in my beer. To me were all on 2 wheels, but as Bike slut so tactfully put it stereotypes are brought on for a reason, and the exact same groups of Chromed out , leather tassel wearing weekend warriors that smile and give me a thumbs up as I pass on my Harley, Ignore my wave and stare ahead with a tough guy look as I pass on my R6 or my DRZ. KInd of silly I think. Our common threat really is the person texting while trying to negotiate the curves ! Now as a Mountain Biker I do take issue with the prima donna , pink jersey wearing, 3 abreast riding, road cluttering road bike guys..... Can we bag on them now ??? or is that another thread ?? ha ha