I managed to convince a couple of guys to join me. I thought I would post up an see if anymore want to go. We will be starting at Pinyon Mountain trailhead. Pinyon Mountain to Fish Creek. Then I am not sure of all the names but basically on to the slot and Font's point and lunch in Borrego. After lunch it will be Grapevine then Chariot and Oriflame Canyons. On to Blair Valley and Back to the vehicles. We will start a 8am. Any Takers. Intermediate ride with a good pace. I believe the total distance will be around 140 miles.

I am in on this one... will bring some tow rope :heh:

I managed to convince a couple of guys to join me.

I'll be there Friday evening after work.

Border ride Saturday.....??

Heart Attach hill is a one way hill = DOWN.

Agreed.

This subject has been covered, mid to bottom of 2nd page:

post-3850-002725600 1299686585_thumb.jpg

why does it matter? not being argumentative, just curious? I own the map, I know its says one way but don't you think that was aimed at the jeeps?

Which is worse, me locking my brakes and dragging my tires all the way down the hill, or getting some momentum and riding right up while never loosing traction or spinning a wheel?

just some food for thought.

There is no sign in the park indicating its 1 way on pinyon trail anywhere.

There is a sign in the park indicating a 1 way drop on "the slot".

The difference is the slot is all soft dirt not rock like HA hill.

The park does have the ability to fabricate and install one way signs. We know this because the exist on other trails in the park.

Also, those maps are not produced by the state as far as I know.

Maybe someone has gotten the official word from a park rep on this issue?

by the way, I'm not going on this ride and don't really care either way, just trying to figure out where the rules are available.

Which is worse, me locking my brakes and dragging my tires all the way down the hill, or getting some momentum and riding right up while never loosing traction or spinning a wheel?

Not everybody has a successful run up the hill, so they would be spinning their wheels going up, stalling and then sliding back down, or possibly bulldogging their way up.

I first rode down the Drop in 1990 (and that was also the last time that I actually successfully rode down it :lol: ) and was informed at that time that you could only go down it.

Just airing this out so that any future plans can be made in a more discreet way.

Just airing this out so that any future plans can be made in a more discreet way.

sneeker, thats fully understood.

If there is such a rule, it needs to be available to read somewhere.

That is just my opinion, and it isn't worth very much.

Have fun on the ride. Don't spin your wheels going up the hill.

Brilliant!

Brad I dont see a sign telling me not to blaze my own trail. I dont see speed limit signs through the washes. None of these are a big deal until they give you a ticket or start banning the motorcycles because people cant follow rules.

Advertising that you are going to do it should not be done here. I cant wait for Gate hopping thurs rides. We can get around the gates they must be meant for the jeeps.

Heart Attach hill is a one way hill = DOWN.

This is correct as indicated on that map. We should not be riding it any other direction.

Yes, please DO NOT POST rides that are going the wrong way through the area !

I just found out Anza Borrego wants to keep my damage deposit due to people straying off the trails in the park on the Desert Dash.

I would like to kill all the speculation on this subject because I have heard it before, park rangers who I have worked closely with in my previous occupation and spoke with in person today, strongly recommend you not travel in the opposite direction on pinyon mtn trail due to safety reasons. You are not in violation of any law if you decide to do so, but be warned, as more and more people travel the opposite way up this hill, jeeps and bikes alike, they erode the surface by not being able to reach the top and digging out holes. If this continues we may someday soon find this area CLOSED because it is no longer safe to navigate. Hopefully as a group we no longer even suggest such a ride, maybe this ride will be cancelled, but that is not for me to say, this is my opinion only. alyeska

I would like to kill all the speculation on this subject because I have heard it before, park rangers who I have worked closely with in my previous occupation and spoke with in person today, strongly recommend you not travel in the opposite direction on pinyon mtn trail due to safety reasons. You are not in violation of any law if you decide to do so, but be warned, as more and more people travel the opposite way up this hill, jeeps and bikes alike, they erode the surface by not being able to reach the top and digging out holes.

If this continues we may someday soon find this area CLOSED because it is no longer safe to navigate.

Hopefully as a group we no longer even suggest such a ride, maybe this ride will be cancelled, but that is not for me to say, this is my opinion only. alyeska

Alyeska is 100% correct. I just talked to the State Park, and they mentioned...."we heard some of your riders are planning on riding the Pinyon Dropoff in the wrong direction".

Alyeska is 100% correct. I just talked to the State Park, and they mentioned...."we heard some of your riders are planning on riding the Pinyon Dropoff in the wrong direction".

Time to change your plan! Start at the trailhead, go 35 in the washes and slower around other vehicles, Lunch at BS then Montezuma, Mason, Jasper, Grapevine, On up to Rodrigus/Oriflamme. If any one needs to prove thier hill-climbing abilities take a detour to Devils Slide in the OHV area.

We use to camp in Fish Creek and ride 3-wheelers up the wash - but that is now illegal.

I know this is true for me and almost surely for KLXGUY also but it was not know that this was a one way only trail. By posting the ride on SDAR we now know that this route is frowned upon and will find a different route.

So, in the end the SDAR forum was able to help managment of these precious resources :)

Do to some unknown factors this ride will be changed please see post #1

I would like to kill all the speculation on this subject because I have heard it before, park rangers who I have worked closely with in my previous occupation and spoke with in person today, strongly recommend you not travel in the opposite direction on pinyon mtn trail due to safety reasons. You are not in violation of any law if you decide to do so, but be warned, as more and more people travel the opposite way up this hill, jeeps and bikes alike, they erode the surface by not being able to reach the top and digging out holes. If this continues we may someday soon find this area CLOSED because it is no longer safe to navigate. Hopefully as a group we no longer even suggest such a ride, maybe this ride will be cancelled, but that is not for me to say, this is my opinion only. alyeska

I may be reading into something that is not there, but when Randy talked to the rangers today, they already know that our club was proposing a ride up Pinion Drop. I think the way to handle it is internally, within the club(except maybe in the private forums)and not bring the rangers into it.

So, in the end the SDAR forum was able to help managment of these precious resources :)

Well said.

Josh,

I'm gonna have to back out of both days.

Too much housework here in Big Bear.

And getting bikes ready for the BBTR Bar10 ride 2nd week in April.

I WILL however be taking advantage of the EPIC Big Bear conditions once the chores are done.

Jacoby Canyon, Cactus Flats, Rattlesnake Canyon, Johsnon Valley, Hondo Rd to Pioneertown (lunch), 2N70Y, Vista Trail (both directions) back to Cactus Flats then uphill on Jacoby. (Jacoby is a full on raging 'creek')

Similar trail as you put together minus the Van Dusen/White Mountain segment. (Forestry gates are still closed)

Camping next weekend in Johnson Valley.................!!!!