Goofy Footer

Death Valley Bike Prep

I'm registered and paid for a trip to Death Valley March 25-27th apart of advrider's nOOb rally. I've never been to Death Valley before and I've always wanted to check it out. There are some 130 people attending and trying to pick rides seems difficult. The riding seems easy so my main concerns are in regards to the very long distances between gas stops. I need to prep my bike accordingly to the terrain and rides.

Bike: 2000 DRZ400E

Tank Size: 3.0-3.2 gallons

Gearing: 14/47 dirt E gearing

MPG: 35-40ish depending on terrain/speed of highway travel

Range: 100-115 is what I am thinking (would rather estimate conservatively here)

*MPG I don't have a speedo/odo so MPG and range are "educated guesses"

Tires: I will need the rear replaced. Thinking of trying a Dunlop 606 or Trials tire. Thoughts? Tubliss???

Rack: None

Xtra Fuel: None

Armor: Skid plate, radiator guards, case guards

Stabilizer: Yes - Scotts

Rider Skills: Intermediate (I crash, I don't complain, I take pictures)

The thread for the ride is 130pgs long by now and most of the "official" rides posted claim a minimum of 150mi range and with some rides up to 250mi. Being as this is my first time in DV I'll be more of a tourist than a hard core rider. I want to check out Racetrack Playa and want to try Lippencott. I wouldn't mind seeing the Ubehebe Crater and Bad Water Basin.

What are my fuel options here?

I am debating purchasing a rear rack from the guy on ebay in Crest. (Remember I have the DRZ-E aluminum subframe, not the steel S model and the rack guy claims a max of 15lbs).

I could bolt on the rack $70 and strap on a cheap 1 or 2 gallon red aux tank OR purchase a $60 Rotopax tank...

I could buy a new IMS/Acerbis 4 gallon tank for $250 (don't really want to do this)

I could use 2liter soda bottles in my back pack and suck it up....

Switch gearing? Stock S gearing is 15/44

PLEASE throw any and all DV wisdom my way!

Thanks!

I'll keep my nose out of this one...mostly.

MSR fuel bottles, at $20 or less each get a couple and throw them in a backpack. as soon as you can refill your tank with them, do so.

I have carried the 2 liter bottles before, just ride until you can empty it into your tank. Otherwise I'm willing to bet if you ask around you could borrow a large tank for the ride, plenty of people on the site have DRZ's and almost everyone is ok. Almost everyone.

If I wasn't doing the bike packing trip to the river on those same days, I'd lend you my 4gal IMS tank.

I have a ATV tank bag that fits on my KLR which holds 2 one gallon bottles of fuel.

I use anti-freeze containers to hold the fuel, your welcome to use the bags.

I have carried the 2 liter bottles before, just ride until you can empty it into your tank. Otherwise I'm willing to bet if you ask around you could borrow a large tank for the ride, plenty of people on the site have DRZ's and almost everyone is ok. Almost everyone.

:ph34r:

I've ridden some of this on a DRZ 400 with a 4.1 gal tank and had no problems. It's about 180-185 miles from Beaty to Lone Pine or Panamint going thru the race track and down to Saline and out. That was, as I remember, the longest leg.

Thanks for the replies so far. I forgot to mention that I will be staying in Panamint Springs.

I think I'll probably have to get the rear rack and start jerry-rigging up fuel canisters.

Question, those with rear racks, how often does it slap you or your backpack in the rear?

SteelRain, I like the MSR bottles but I think I would need a few of them as they are only 30oz http://www.rei.com/product/783963

I'd probably use something like this from nalgene. Cheaper and bigger, leak proof but not sure about gasoline damaging it. http://www.rei.com/product/402058

tntmo, the nice thing about 2liter bottles is that they are semi collapsable once I've used the fuel

baldbeemer, thanks for the offer, I see that you too have a DRZ400E, what is your range with the 4.1?

bluefin2na do you have something like this? http://sscratch.smug.../64859300-L.jpg

bikeslut, thanks for the offer to lend me your drz tank but the S model won't fit on the E model apparently.

racerbill, did you run 14/47 gearing on your old DRZ? also, what range could you get with the 4.1?

Just did a trip to Death Valley on my 450exc...It was awesome....I have a Clarke 3.2 +/- tank...so about the same range you have of maybe 120 miles max..depending on riding conditions....

I carried 2 MR Bottles (about 1/2 gallon total) , but had a friend with a rotopax on a GS800 help me out on the longest day. (180 miles)......

I may look into getting a rack/ rotopax...they are sweet and travel well....

My favorite day was a Great 180 mile loop from furnace creek to emigrant pass, ballarat, up over mengal pass, back via westside road....I added 1.5 gallons over the day, but even had gas left at days end....if you can carry at least 1 gallon, I'd think you'd be ok for that...I also carry the $5 siphon from harbor freight.....Just in Case...If you travel with the big bike guys, they have resources..... :) .

Another great loop was furnace creek, up to chloride cliffs, east to hwy, down to Big Dune, up to Beatty (can get gas there, and cheaper than here!)...then back through titus canyon (DON'T MISS THAT! :king: )....that day was 160 miles, and with beatty in the middle, I didnt' even need to carry gas...

Tires: I always run D606's on back and have been happy on all my bikes.......(not fronts, I hear they wear out fast)...I use pirelli's.

Have fun....the toughest part of Death Valley are the slab miles to get to the trailheads.......but lot sof wilderness to explore...

Question, those with rear racks, how often does it slap you or your backpack in the rear?

On my DRZ, never.

SteelRain, I like the MSR bottles but I think I would need a few of them as they are only 30oz http://www.rei.com/product/783963

I'd probably use something like this from nalgene. Cheaper and bigger, leak proof but not sure about gasoline damaging it. http://www.rei.com/product/402058

Nalgene bottles do deteriorate with use...or atleast that is what ADVRider says.

Two MSR Bottles is of roughly half a gallon, or you can go to StarBucks and get a "Box of Joe" or whatever they call it minus the coffee and use that as a bladder,just slid it into an old CamelBack sleeve (I only use the bags 1-2 times and only when I know I am going to have issues) It works, it is cheap and disposable.

At one time I had two 2qt canteens (you can get them from military surplus stores) on the bike; that is a full gallon of fuel.

Go Baja and just use a antifreeze jug. I put a heavy duty zip tie thru the handle and let it dangle from my fanny pack belt. When empty I hang it on the back of my pack so it's out of the way. My 02 400 got about 42-44 MPG with 14-50 gearing and a 152 main jet. The street models with that weird carb get better mileage.

They do make larger fuel canisters 1.5 lt. I am thinking of getting one of these. If you want we can get them together and work a deal. They are in SD.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PRIMUS-1-5-LITER-CAPACITY-FUEL-BOTTLE-NEW-/300528633141?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f8e70535

Another option is

http://cgi.ebay.com/ACERBIS-AUXILIARY-FUEL-TANK-GAS-TANK-1-3-GALLON-/170610441805?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27b92cbe4d

I have a smaller one. They are nice as there are holes to rig up a mounting system to your rack, if you go that way.

bluefin2na do you have something like this? http://sscratch.smug.../64859300-L.jpg

YEs, only a tad bigger, and it works. Got the idea from some,,, KTM guys last year riding DV.

GAVE MY KLR close to 325miles on a tank...

Yeah your read that right :)

Update:

I got a tank from KTMrad and baldbeemer helped me put it on. There was confusion online if the IMS 4gallon DRZ400E tank would fit with the Unabiker radiator guards but it fits fine (with only minor swearing and two people bending the tank). Thanks again KTMrad and baldbeemer!

post-14322-087303400 1300663722_thumb.jp

I also installed a Nomadic Racks rear rack (he is the guy on ebay: st8dirt who lives in El Cajon and sells racks).

post-14322-009606200 1300663719_thumb.jp

I still have to decide if whether to strap on one of these to the rear (I have one in the garage)

post-14322-022821900 1300664582_thumb.jp

OR purchase a koplin rotopax square jug.

Only a few shops are open on sundays and the ones I went to did not have anything substantial in terms of fender bags/saddlebags/tank bags.

I'll try C&D and Clairemont Cycle Supply tomorrow.

PS does anybody know a shop that sells Michelin AC10?

Thanks

Another Update:

Went to REI and found these Nalgene 64oz box containers. They have a wide mouth, seem very sturdy and are made of HDPE which is the same as the red blitz cans. At $12 a piece I cannot seem to go wrong with these. Depending on the tank bag or saddlebag I end up with these might work perfect. Nalgenes are supposed to be "guaranteed" not to leak. This seems like a more reliable option compared to a 2 liter bottle ha

post-14322-058707600 1300768820_thumb.jp

I might have missed this detail in this thread, but be aware there is NO GAS in Trona, if that's part of your plan. Also be aware of the weather- Titus Canyon had plenty of falling snow and very low temps this weekend.

Another Update:

Went to REI and found these Nalgene 64oz box containers. They have a wide mouth, seem very sturdy and are made of HDPE which is the same as the red blitz cans. At $12 a piece I cannot seem to go wrong with these. Depending on the tank bag or saddlebag I end up with these might work perfect. Nalgenes are supposed to be "guaranteed" not to leak. This seems like a more reliable option compared to a 2 liter bottle ha

if there are no gaskets on those bottles, they should be fine... I have had some "leakproof" containers leak as soon as gas hit the gasket

I gave goofy an MT43 today... as I've never been to DV on a motorcycle, what do DV veterans think about this selection? I've done some of it on a mountain bike, and it seems sandy, but maybe it's not so much on a dirtbike?

I was the one that suggested the AC10... trophy had one on the WR, and it was a great tire in the sand... GREAT... not so great locked up at 75mph

If you are not confident with the seal of the lid, bring it by my shop, or send me the lids and I will make some gaskets that will seal with gasoline. Also don't ever fill them more than 3/4 full with gas, or they will very likely leak anyway. I would test them by filling them up (3/4) with gas and lay them on their side out in the sun on a warm day. I would also duct tape the lids while carrying them on my bike. Here is a chemical resistance chart for HDPE, it shows that MDPE has a marginal resistance to gasoline. I might trust them for a trip, but not extended use. http://k-mac-plastics.net/data%20sheets/hdpe-chemical-resistance.htm

Good luck.

Ken

Another Update:

I gave goofy an MT43 today... as I've never been to DV on a motorcycle, what do DV veterans think about this selection? I've done some of it on a mountain bike, and it seems sandy, but maybe it's not so much on a dirtbike?

Hobiee and I have ridden all over Anza Borrego and Ocotillo wells on MT43s........

We've ridden UP Blow Sand on MT43s.......

Blowsand1.jpg

Last fall I rode across Death Valley on the KOTW ride with MT43s front and rear.......this past weekend Hobiee and I both rode our MT43 equipped bikes across Death Valley with Paul, DigDug and Joliet..........we rode on pavement and through sand/rocks/snow/mud.......no sweat, they'll handle any terrain........I think they're the best "all around" tires you'll find for Dual-Sporting and I'm amazed we're still having this conversation/amazed more folks haven't jumped on board the Trials Tire train.......AND they're DOT rated (NO tickets from LEO)......AND they're low profile (smooth - you'll be riding a lot of pavement/hardpack in Death Valley).......AND they're low impact so the Rangers love to see folks using'em (Tread lightly!).....AND they have good tread life if run at the right (low) pressures......they're the only tires I run on the WR250R.......once I wear out the knobbies on my KTM it'll be equipped with MT43s as well......

In summary, yep - I think he'll be ok with MT43s :lol:

Joliet thanks for the offer! I may very well contact you for gaskets when I get back. I've abused many a Nalgene through years of boy scouts and they never leak. My only question is in regards to the "non venting" lid of the nalgene... If I fill it 3/4 up will I produce excess fumes? I don't really know the specifics of gasoline beyond that it goes in my tank and its getting more expensive.

In regards to the tire I went to a few local shops and could not find the AC10. When I PMed Crawdaddy about the MT43 for Death Valley he replied saying he was actually DV using them and Bikelut came through with a tire.

Bikeslut, thanks again for the tire! From hearing tales of his flat tire syndrome however, I'm starting to wonder if I too will become infected with the sickness..... HD tube is going in today!

I might have missed this detail in this thread, but be aware there is NO GAS in Trona, if that's part of your plan. Also be aware of the weather- Titus Canyon had plenty of falling snow and very low temps this weekend.

Thanks for the update Paul. The guys on adv thread are trying to reroute some of the rides as there is no gas at Trona. There should be snow on some of the high passes as well so that should be fun/interesting. I've seen some of your camera posts, if Kurts Camera doesn't get my little Canon point and shoot powershot back to me in time (I got dust in the lens at the desert dash...) then I might jump and get the dustproof (not overly confident it its true waterproof capabilities) Canon D10. I'm big on photos and would be pissed if I get the dreaded "lens error" while in DV. Any thoughts?

When I PMed Crawdaddy about the MT43 for Death Valley he replied saying he was actually in DV using them and Bikelut came through with a tire.

Bikeslut, thanks again for the tire! From hearing tales of his flat tire syndrome however, I'm starting to wonder if I too will become infected with the sickness..... HD tube is going in today!

That was funny.......we're sitting there eating breakfast in Beatty, I break out my phone, and there's a PM from you asking if a MT43 will work in DV :heh:

The rear flat I got by the Trona Pinnacles was the first flat I've had in 9,200 miles on the WR250R with MT43/UHD tubes.......NO tire/tube will save you from a "nail"....it was sticking ~.5 inch through the tire carcass!!! :o

WR250RFlat.jpg

Thanks for the update Paul. The guys on adv thread are trying to reroute some of the rides as there is no gas at Trona. There should be snow on some of the high passes as well so that should be fun/interesting. I've seen some of your camera posts, if Kurts Camera doesn't get my little Canon point and shoot powershot back to me in time (I got dust in the lens at the desert dash...) then I might jump and get the dustproof (not overly confident it its true waterproof capabilities) Canon D10. I'm big on photos and would be pissed if I get the dreaded "lens error" while in DV. Any thoughts?

Canon point-and-shoots are known for the lens error problem. It's typically a bit of grit or dust in the lens body. So, NEVER, EVER use a Canon point and shot in a dusty or sandy environment.laugh.gif

Ok, I have about 6 of them, and three actually still work because of issues like this. Most recently, I sent one for repair and it took over FIVE months, 30 emails and 20 phone calls to get it back from the bastards at a texas repair center.

I've heard great things about the D10, but I use aftermarket accessory lenses so I can't use one.

Rumor is one can press down firmly on the front of the extended lens body while powering off the camera to force it to function. I believe I saw Dug doing that this weekend.