Sign in to follow this  
kkug

Bikepacking trip to the river 3-26-27-2011

100_0783.jpg

What happened to the poor smurf in the background? Did you run him over?

I'm not packed any lighter than you are. PLanning on doing a little shake down run this morning to see how all the gear handles, and if I need to boost up my preload.

Edit: Last night, the Mistress and tested out the Jetboil and one of the Mountain House entress we picked up from Costco. Not bad. THe Jetboil wouldn't ignite on it's own and needed a bic lighter to get it going, but had water boiling in a couple of minutes. THe Mountain House freeze dried lasagna was actually pretty tasty, and a bargain if you buy the bulk box from Costco. Comes out to about $4 per entree, versus $6 per @ REI.

Edited by baldbeemer

What happened to the poor smurf in the background? Did you run him over?

Cookie Monster met one of my little monsters.

100_0784.jpg

I gather the ranger station is on ranger station rd?

Can you pitch a tent close by? If it looks like pessing down with precipershite I may ride out Sat morning??? :unsure:

Oxbow is a option.I was thinking of the AZ and north.Got to make it as uncomfortable as possible .

LAte last minute adjustments are in order for the bike. Preload was WAY off and gearing proved unsatisfactory on the shake down run. Will be swapping wheels/tires with the Mistress' DRZ (Nice to have multiple bikes w/interchangeable parts) and gearing issue should be solved. THis thing will be as heavy as my 1200RT by the time I'm done packing all my crap :lol:

So I took it all off and did a final pack then weighed it all. The GL bag with contents 22lbs. All the gear and tools that were packed on the bike in total is just under 60lbs. 10lbs of that is tool bag and tube fender bag that always will stay on the bike. 43lbs is on the back, 9lbs on the tank, 6lbs on the bars, and 2lbs on the front fender. Again that is overkill gear. I should be good for a long trip with everything packed.

This did not include the Ogio vest that I will be wearing.

What did you come up with?

What are you guys all bringing that you have 60 pounds worth of gear? I have small tent, sleeping bag, change clothes (+ extra warming layer), hygiene kit, tools (2 extra tubes & googles also), coffee, cocoa, MRE (meal), camara, toilet paper & wipes, stove & fuel and a gallon of water I am sure I am not over 30 pounds. It is all strapped to my rear fender rack.

You would be surprised how it adds up.

GL bag(heavy in itself)- 2 socks, 2 boxers, 1 extra shorts, 1 light weight pj pants, 1 sweat pants, 1 short sl shirt, 1 long sl shirt

1 pair shoes, 1 camp stove, 2 towels, 1 hygiene kit, Sleeping bag, bag pad, pillow, tent footprint

Camelbak water jug - 1 extra gal

Dry bag (easy access bag) - dualsport jacket, rain suit, sweatshirt

Tank bag - One side extra gas, other side firewood stuff

Bars - tent and chair rolled up in a 6 x 8 tarp

Fender tube bag - F and R tube for tubliss, reg 21 tube, rear rim lock, cleaning wipes, windex, towel, tyvek tarp

Tool bag - Lets not start

I know the 3x-4x clothes are heavy and take up space. Wife is always complaining that they dont fit in the drawers.

Well I am not bring a chair and my tent is under 3 pounds and bag is about 4 pounds. No tarps either. I am a minimalist, I learned to pack light when I had to carry it all on my back to get it from point A to point B.

Im all loaded, made a trial run and it was all good. The gear is a little low 55 mph will be about max on the highway. My whole rear pack has the tent, the sleeping bag, the stove and the tool bag. My sleep pad is on top. the whole thing weighs less than 20 lbs. My clothes and food will be in a back pack. the small bike ran out of room quick. Only glitch was on my test run one of my fork seals started leaking BAD. So when I got home I quickly took them off and took them down to my best friend Jim Martin ( martoon) at martins motorcycle specialties in santee. will have them back tommorrow in time for the ride.

post-2109-020071400 1301024295_thumb.jpg

I would like to ride and camp near Ocotillo Wells on Fri night. Is anybody camping Fri night? Not much fun by ourself and I'm scared of the dark! My load was looking pretty reasonable untill I went to the supermarket this avo <_<

You would be surprised how it adds up.

GL bag(heavy in itself)- 2 socks, 2 boxers, 1 extra shorts, 1 light weight pj pants, 1 sweat pants, 1 short sl shirt, 1 long sl shirt

1 pair shoes, 1 camp stove, 2 towels, 1 hygiene kit, Sleeping bag, bag pad, pillow, tent footprint

Camelbak water jug - 1 extra gal

Dry bag (easy access bag) - dualsport jacket, rain suit, sweatshirt

Tank bag - One side extra gas, other side firewood stuff

Bars - tent and chair rolled up in a 6 x 8 tarp

Fender tube bag - F and R tube for tubliss, reg 21 tube, rear rim lock, cleaning wipes, windex, towel, tyvek tarp

Tool bag - Lets not start

I know the 3x-4x clothes are heavy and take up space. Wife is always complaining that they dont fit in the drawers.

Well as this is a beginner Bikepack trip you will see what works and what is over kill. Remember we are only camping one nite and have access to gas stops.I use to carry a lot of stuff but little by little carrying less. But on this trip ( being only one nite) I will splurge with the fire log -charcoal ect.

Remember you have to be confy on the bike and not let it overwhelm you.

Guest Crusty

I like panniers, they add strength to the sub frame and you can carry all this easily + the weight is lower.

newtools003.jpg

2-1-08Ocatillowellsbiketrip007.jpg

In my tent is a queen size 8" thick blow up mattress and pump :coolio:

2-1-08Ocatillowellsbiketrip008.jpg

The round thing on the left side of the bench is a heater, but the important thing to pack is the spare air filter and chain lube, on the right.

So for the folks that are going out tonite see you near the showers near the ranger staion tomarrow AM. :rolleyes:

Anyone that needs lodging for tonight in borrego springs pm me, I have a vacant 3 bd 2 bath house with garage members can use for free, just leave it clean. We have cancelled our family big bear trip due to the severe weather today. alyeska

I'll be leaving Orange county around 2 or 2:30. My cell# is 760-390-8804. If no one is at the trailer tonite have room for others. Should be there 5 or 6ish, wanna beat traffic.