Sign in to follow this  
kkug

Bikepacking trip to the river 3-26-27-2011

Figured I would set up my new tent today to check it out before the trip. Bought it for the Beach to River run years ago. Turned out to be CRAP!

Hey, don't be bagging on "Crap" gear (didn't we hear enough of that Tuesday night :heh: )

This is the current version of the CRAP tent I used to camp off my bike in Bryce/Zion (mine is about 10 years old now) .....weighs about 5lbs but "I" already weigh about 30lbs too much so what's another 5??? :dead::rolleyes::ph34r: ........good thing it didn't rain :huh::o:lol:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mountain-Trails-Twin-Peaks-7-x-7-Tent/15111449

xr650l bum, on 17 March 2011 - 11:42 AM, said:

Figured I would set up my new tent today to check it out before the trip. Bought it for the Beach to River run years ago. Turned out to be CRAP! Need to buy a better one. Lessoned learned, play with the gear before the trip.

Hey Mike,

I'm looking at tents too. What did you get that you didnt like and what are you looking at now?

The bad thing about the tent I purchased earlier was it was a hiking tent that was not FREE STANDING.

Chris this was the best deal I could find. It has al poles, pretty good quality, good rain cover, and light. Big thing was it would arrive before the trip. Good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KELTY-GRAND-MESA-2-Person-3-Season-Hiking-Camping-Tent-/390258995015?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5add3faf47

That,s the tent my Buddy Matt has . Nice . The only thing I don,t like about it that their is no side entry. You have to be like a stink Bug to get in and out. What a good price.

There is a side entry. It is called the Teton 2. The thing I did not like was the rain cover. Did not look as good. I did not want to crawl over someone to get out or vise versus. There is always something.

KKug, is there a place in borrego to park my truck while on the ride?

Yes I just up dated the first post. I think we will start from Occitillo Wells and park near the ranger station.

But if you want to park in Borrego Springs we can meet you in Salton City at the Big Gas station.

I don,t know of any place other than Aleska,s in Borrego . But he will be out of town.

Everyone I up dated the first post with the meeting and parking location. I hope it works for everyone.

I know that CableJockey has a 2M radio, anyone else going to be on the air? I'm ordering my headset now. KJ6MNE clear :coolio:

I do not have a radio.

Ken I have 2 complete set ups. You could borrow one or both if needed. I hate to miss the ride but I'll be on the other coast doing stuff that's not riding.

Covered in Green

Fitted up my dirt bagz yesterday. Pretty sweet setup.

Ken, do you have any tracks for this ride or are we winging it? How about dinner Saturday night? I'm thinking about following ol covered in sauce's advice and packing a steak and a bottle of vino!

Anyone camping near the Ranger station Friday nite? I'm heading out Friday afternoon from San Juan Capistrano. For dinner Saturday nite dinner, I am all for going out to eat. After 20 years in the infantry, I see no reason to eat on dirt if there is a nice restaurant close by :rolleyes:

I'm thinking about following ol covered in sauce's advice and packing a steak and a bottle of vino!

Can of beans and a flask of ol NO.7 for me.

T

Fitted up my dirt bagz yestertday. Pretty sweet setup.

Ken, do you have any tracks for this ride or are we winging it? How about dinner Saturday night? I'm thinking about following ol covered in sauce's advice and packing a steak and a bottle of vino!

Tracy no tracks ---old school. I have been a few times. I might try to get some dogs at the store in

Palo Verde.or we could send someone for pizza in Blyth.

Anyone camping near the Ranger station Friday nite? I'm heading out Friday afternoon from San Juan Capistrano. For dinner Saturday nite dinner, I am all for going out to eat. After 20 years in the infantry, I see no reason to eat on dirt if there is a nice restaurant close by :rolleyes:

Me and Tracy are going Fri nite.will talk later about camping.closest restaurant will be about 20 miles away.I in the boarder line so I will chat later.

Me and Tracy are going Fri nite.will talk later about camping.closest restaurant will be about 20 miles away.I in the boarder line so I will chat later.

Oops maybe we are going out early Sat.

If I make this ride (waiting for clutch cables) I am using it to get used to bike camping so I can do more and bigger bike camping trips. I have been spending some money getting the gear for this. I would rather camp and spend the night around a fire drinking some beers. It would be nice to know what the plans are for FRI and SAT nights so I can pack accordingly.

You think this coyote bag is huge, until you start filling it. Space goes quick.

Looking at projected forecast, they are calling for a chance of rain. Sounds at the very least it will be cool. Just had a rain suit expedited my way just in case.

I am back in the loop.

I just updated the first post with food sugestions. If any one wants to add to that subject chim in.

I think me and Tracy will drive out Sat early. For the Fri nite campers have a good time and get that gear tested out. I realy don,t know if they discurage camping near the Ranger Station. The fri nite crew may have to call .

Weather looks good-- may be cool at OW on fri nite.

My computer skills are laking.Very Rough map of where we are going.Maybe in a few days I will have something better.Just for reference.

Scan_Pic0001.jpg

I'm packing a small stove, mainly for my morning coffee and evening cocoa. I don't mind sharing my stove. I am actually packing some MRE's for chow so I'm good. Never been out to Palo Verde or river area. Do they sell firewood where we are going? I would buy a few bundles and bring a bag of marshmellows to go with my cocoa. I may have access to a trailer at the Ironwood Inn Friday night. I have a buddy whose family owns one and I have stayed there many times. I'll get back on the trailer later this week, maybe some friday nighters can meet me and stay there. Everyone there kinda watches everyone elses stuff, so vehicles would be safe there too.

I'm packing a small stove, mainly for my morning coffee and evening cocoa. I don't mind sharing my stove. I am actually packing some MRE's for chow so I'm good. Never been out to Palo Verde or river area. Do they sell firewood where we are going? I would buy a few bundles and bring a bag of marshmellows to go with my cocoa. I may have access to a trailer at the Ironwood Inn Friday night. I have a buddy whose family owns one and I have stayed there many times. I'll get back on the trailer later this week, maybe some friday nighters can meet me and stay there. Everyone there kinda watches everyone elses stuff, so vehicles would be safe there too.

My plan is to dry camp along the river about maybe 10 miles North of Palo Verde on the AZ side. I am bringing a fire log . If you want to pack some firewood ( I don,t know if Palo verde has any at the Gas station ) you are more than welcome carry some. I know it will be appreciated by the other campers. :)