I may mount this new set before the Bishop ride if I get them in time.......it would be nice to have new/aggressive tread for that ride......

So much for that plan.......I was too lazy to change out tires before the Bishop ride.......rode the 620 with my ~3K+ MT21 front and D606 rear.......a bit squirrely in the sand but those tires have a lot of miles on'em and a lot of weight on'em between the weight of the 620 and my not so skinny self.....

I'll be spooning on the MT16 front/D606 rear sometime within the next couple of weeks (need the practice before LA-B-V)......then I'll give the MT16 a good check/test out at Truckhaven the weekend of Nov. 14-16.......and both tires a good work out when Doug and I ride LA-B-V a couple of weeks after that....I'll repost my thoughts on the MT16, as opposed to the MT21 front, when Doug and I get back from LA-B-V...

Plan on sticking with non DOT Maxxis Desert IT tires on my 520.....they work well.....though I think the Kenda Carlsbad rear tire may have given me better longevity than the Maxxis rear tire??.....I haven't kept track of the mileage on the 520???......ratio of street to dirt on that bike is probably 20/80.....

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I have had great luck with this 606. Still works great, with 3500 hard miles.

Craig.

post-465-1225316961_thumb.jpg

whew...9 pages...wow. :ph34r:

k, from what i gathered....looks like the 606 is the "favorite" for the most part....

as i was reading i saw i had read this thread before....

guess i didn't register it as important at that time.....little did i know!!!!

thanks Craw for the lead back to it....really appreciate it!!!

Blind :D.....seems so, how to say....ironic he didn't see it..... :D

yeah I am still unsure as to what I want to try the 606 is the favorite rear by far. I think my bike is too light to make good use of a TKC80

How important are rim locks? I heard if you put them on it can make balancing the wheel difficult for highway riding?

yeah I am still unsure as to what I want to try the 606 is the favorite rear by far. I think my bike is too light to make good use of a TKC80

How important are rim locks? I heard if you put them on it can make balancing the wheel difficult for highway riding?

rim locks are pretty important if you run low pressure and/or spin the back tire a lot :friends:

I run them on my DRZ, but not my XR or TW... balancing them is not that big of a deal... just a one time deal... the REAL pain, to me, is re-mounting after a flat in the field... no bug deal in the garage, but a hassle in the woods.

For sand, when you drop pressure to 10 or so, a rim lock is a good idea

i guess its a question if with the tires I am likely to run on my bike if I need to go that low

i guess its a question if with the tires I am likely to run on my bike if I need to go that low

it's more a question of where you want to go... sand; yes... I have ridden without them as low as 10 psi, and only torn out a valve stem on the rear once.

I don't run a rim lock on the front, but if you are running varied terrain, and air down, then do a stoppie on hard pack, it "could" pull out

with my trail wings, dirt traction is non-existent, so rim locks aren't needed... the tire spins in the dirt, instead of on the rim

I don't ride that aggressively so I probably don't need to be overly concerned yet.

I don't ride that aggressively so I probably don't need to be overly concerned yet.

see me next year :rolleyes:

you'll be roosting everybody on your KTM 950 up kernan

see me next year :rolleyes:

I’m not an aggressive rider at all, more of a sally or pansy, but even I have spun a tire. You really need to lower your tire pressure when you go in soft stuff like sand. That is where the rim lock comes in. In southern California you will have sand, I don’t see anyway around that.

Next year you will be roosting Bikeslut with a KTM 990! :punish:

ok done!!!!! :lazy: :fool: :lol:

all this tire stuff, and me with the deathwings....got me thinking i really need to get some real rubber on the road...so after CFO(*wife) begrudgingly allowed me to get some, i decided i better before she changes her mind....

so i got Dunlop 606's front and back.

(*i tried to find the "right" front(*MT21) but i dunno it was a hard get with my instant gratification mode....)

went to bro-in-laws garage, and dove in....only one bleeding incident...and about 2 hours total, i had my new knobbies!!! damn they look tough....like i can actually do something with 'em....

wasn't as hard as i thought it would be in the long run(*btw, THANKS to Ken, and the rest of the tire change clinic crew form the maintantance day!!! made it MUCH more manageable...) and got 'em on relatively "easily".

so bro-in-law has a date @ 1130 for the ND game, and kinda had that on his mind at the end, so i went to scuff up the knobbies, and go get oil....hell is a nice day out....so changed the oil too!!!!(*btw, Gunner, i beat my time @ your house!!!) even got some free food at the motorcycle shop!!! win/win(*am i getting spoiled, when i work on the bike i get fed??? i like it, but unexpected bonuses!!!)

so short story long.....oil-changed, tires changed!!!! WOOHOOO!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Blind :punish: pretty tired now.....just as the family comes home, yeah!

I am ready...but with all the stuff i did away form the family we'll see what she is wiling to let get away with...

i saw the potential, OW or where??? OW might be a bit far for what i can pull off, but who knows...

man i like the look of that machine out there!!!

Blind B)

I am ready...but with all the stuff i did away form the family we'll see what she is wiling to let get away with...

i saw the potential, OW or where??? OW might be a bit far for what i can pull off, but who knows...

man i like the look of that machine out there!!!

Blind B)

Jury is out... either tomorrow at OW/AB or Monday at Jacumba... waiting for a couple of replies...

maybe you can run down to Fiesta Island, just to get the bike dirty! That's only 10 minutes away!

funny you mention that....

it's kind of what inspired this...i went to torrey pines glider port...

lots of softish stuff...powdery kinda....NO traction...

so i tried Fiesta Island...wasn't sure how much i could actually play down there...

but after a couple "run ups" i got super squirrely...scary.

so i KNEW i needed something with "off road potential"....other wise i am just in a waiting game till i push into the ground....

welp, took 'er out for a neighborhood jaunt....oil that exploded out the frame, onto the pipe...burned off, PU.

and man i can "feel" it being part of the road now....hard to explain, other than i feel like if i need to i got contact appropriate for the roads....now to the dirt....heheheheheh

Blind :D showering off all the motorygoodness......make my self presentable.... B)

Guys- I'm running put of time. Got a date with the wife and if it's an early leave time, I won't be able to load in the am...

see me next year :D

My 950 Super Enduro "adventure" bike :D? The guys who ride those on the LA weekend rides are just roost machines, it's still a pretty heavy bike tho and honestly not one I think I am very interested in :D I'd rather roost you on the bike I have like I was on a 250 2t :lol:

Blind you are a bad influence, you are making me really want tires like *now* I was planning on riding down those tw 301/302s first

So as usual I can't make up my mind about anything.

With the plan to go to OW that didn't happen this weekend and prepping my green sticker bike for the ride I was imagining riding my WRR in the sand and just feeling like those TW301/302s were in no way going to cut it out there.

They are great on the street and either wear awesome or I don't use up tires very quickly. I have 3500 miles on the bike and I personally can't even really tell the tires are worn except for the fact they only have chicken strips on the edges.

Really I need two sets of rims or tires but that is not going to happen so I either keep the TWs on and I think it will get even more frustrating learning in the dirt with semi crappy tires

or I take the awesome deal I got offered from Kelly at Motosportz to try the aussie tires Ken mentioned and potentially they burn up with the fact I do 300 miles a week commuting.

Of course the other option is I change the tires on the rims physically back and forth but I imagine thats going to suck and I am going to get lazy

So as usual I can't make up my mind about anything.

With the plan to go to OW that didn't happen this weekend and prepping my green sticker bike for the ride I was imagining riding my WRR in the sand and just feeling like those TW301/302s were in no way going to cut it out there.

They are great on the street and either wear awesome or I don't use up tires very quickly. I have 3500 miles on the bike and I personally can't even really tell the tires are worn except for the fact they only have chicken strips on the edges.

Really I need two sets of rims or tires but that is not going to happen so I either keep the TWs on and I think it will get even more frustrating learning in the dirt with semi crappy tires

or I take the awesome deal I got offered from Kelly at Motosportz to try the aussie tires Ken mentioned and potentially they burn up with the fact I do 300 miles a week commuting.

Of course the other option is I change the tires on the rims physically back and forth but I imagine thats going to suck and I am going to get lazy

and that's why 606s are popular... easily available, OK on the street, wear pretty well, and good in the dirt...

dual sports= compromise

any "newb" rides should be fine with your stock tires... on a weekend of harder stuff, or sand, swap out the rubber... think of it as flat repair practice

switching tires isn't THAT hard....and aside from my stupid move(*otay thread), they felt super nice, both road and dirt(*the 606's i mean....)

and like BS said, flat repair practice...i think i did my first switch in less than 1 1/2 hours....including everything..

in my eyes it's practice for those times when you HAVE to do it...not WANT to... :D

Blind's 2 cents. :D

It depends on how much mileage people get out of the 606s, since the cheapest I know of would be like 150 +shipping for front/rear, vs 137 shipped for the motoz

Maybe ill try them and then see. Part of the fun.

It really sucks changing tires for weekend rides. I did it twice before giving up and getting a second set of rims for street riding. Just convince yourself that you really need a supemoto setup!

Watch for sales on the D606 tires, House of Motorcycles used to have them on sale quite often for $100 a pair.

If you got a thousand miles on a 606 I don't think it would be any better in the dirt than your dual spot tire at that point. That means a new tire on the rear every 4 weeks. I would recommend what Bikeslut said, ride the dualsport tires for commuting and use them for the easy dirt rides and keep a gnarly knobbie to spoon on when you are doing a technical dirt ride. I bet you could get to where you could spoon it on in a half hour.

The 606 will vibrate more especially at low speed, not have any where near the turning or stopping ability on the pavement, and you will be replacing them every month. Give a 606 or Motoz a try and see if you like it and how long it lasts.

I think if it were me I would keep an eye on Ebay for an inexpensive rear wheel and until I found one, just spoon on a knobbie for the harder dirt rides. Drive over to my shop, I will help you spoon it on, with a little practice it is as easy as changing the oil.

As a rule of thumb, I figure 1000 miles on a knobbie rear and twice that on a front. B) Ken

If you look back on page seven of this post there is a photo of the 606 mounted on the back of my TE450 after 1000 miles. It didn't look too bad. Now it has 2500 miles on it and it looks bad. B)

At 1000 miles :D

100_0752.jpg

At 2500 miles :(

100_1280.jpg

I think it did okay. It never was a good sand tire, but it was particularly awful on our last ride out at McCain.

Time for something new. :)

The front one, a 908 Rally Raid or whatever Dunlop calls it (resembles a 739) is also getting a tad whacky looking, mostly from pavement riding.

If you look back on page seven of this post there is a photo of the 606 mounted on the back of my TE450 after 1000 miles. It didn't look too bad. Now it has 2500 miles on it and it looks bad. B)

At 1000 miles :D

100_0752.jpg

At 2500 miles :(

100_1280.jpg

I think it did okay. It never was a good sand tire, but it was aprticularly awful on our last ride out at McCain.

Time for something new. :)

The front one, a 908 Rally Raid or whatever Dunlop calls it (resembles a 739) is also getting a tad whacky looking, mostly from pavement riding.

I am sure Chris will not be surprised, but I have one Husky that still has the front Trellaborg tire and original tube that came with the bike new in 1979.

Don