piratemonkey

Planning for the TAT

Zina, Jack Russells are great dogs; smart, lively and just the right size. I would love to be able to ride with a dog. But I think that Paul may be right this time.

The TAT is a very long trip. The western sections have areas that may demand the rider’s full attention. It just seems to me that it might be too dangerous to the dog for him to be carried on Wayne’s back. Also how would you like to be in a pack day after day for the time it takes to ride the TAT? I’m will to bet that he loves to be with you and Wayne but does going on this trip with you two really the best thing for him? Think of it from his point of view.

I would love to watch him for you guys as you travel the TAT. Heck I would love to ride the TAT with you guys. But unfortunately I can do neither as I will be driving a truck in Texas when you are riding the TAT.

I'll say it also, even though the idea of taking the dog is cool......the TAT is a long trip, and a month on a bike is a long trip.....after thinking about it, I really think that's a bit much for the dog. There are sections where you may have to get off and bulldog your bikes, sections where you may easily tip over, sections with steep dropoffs, loose and sandy uphills, rocky sections, etc. This trip your planning is a big trip, lots to think about, a lot can happen on the trip.....and having to worry about the dog's safety, well-being, etc. could be an additional burden on you guys.

Then there's the issue of carrying food and water for the dog.

Maybe if it was a road ride.

But I think that Paul may be right this time.

Maybe......just this once. :lol:

We understand that some people won't think this is a good idea. It boils down to each individual's sense of what's responsible and what's not. We're not ones to live a completely risk-free life and while our dog can't speak for himself, his personality suggests he's an adventure whore and always at the ready for anything and everything. Nothing frightens him and he doesn't fatigue or fade in the heat. If he were a shy or nervous dog, I wouldn't consider this. But seriously, he's got game.

We talked about the potential of technical stretches. If he's really at risk, we can walk him through and then get the bikes. A part of why we're taking 30 days to do just the western part of the TAT is so that this isn't a death march. We want a relaxed pace with plenty of opportunities to stop.

I know this explanation still won't put some of you at ease, but it is what it is. Just as all parents don't raise their kids the same way (some refuse to let theirs play contact sports, others encourage theirs to motocross), dog owners aren't all going to do the same thing.

Just be glad we're not asking to borrow anybody's pooch for this trip. :evil:

On a related food note, we haven't decided how to deal with Simon's (the dog's) food. He's got a moderately sensitive digestive system

Hmmmm....."sensitive digestive track", new dog food, alot of bouncing day after day.....

sounds like you better try out some doggie diapers.... :wacko:

Can't wait to hear how it all works out!!!

But I think that Paul may be right this time.

Maybe......just this once. :lol:

Yeah OK....common sense says Paul is right.

But...I do a lot of things with my dog in Page that don't make a lot of sense. I accomodate the activity to include him because I want to have fun doing it with my dog. He is terrified of my boats (bouncing in rough water and going fast) but when we stop and take a swim or hike a canyon he is thrilled he came along. He never hesitates to jump in the boat just so he can be included in the adventure. He hides up under the bow until the scarry stuff is over then eagerly comes out when the fun stuff starts. At 110 lbs he is way to big to ride on my motorcycles but he is included in all the Jeep adventures. I am happy doing this stuff with him and so is he.

:king:

Hmmmm....."sensitive digestive track", new dog food, alot of bouncing day after day.....

Yeah, I'm leaning towards keeping him on his regular diet. It's more to pack, but that just means I leave my evening gown and pretty shoes behind. :upsidedown:

I remain open to discussion. As I said before, Simon still has to pass doggy boot camp. If he can't handle a trip that lasts a few days, he obviously isn't going to handle the TAT with any aplomb.

We understand that some people won't think this is a good idea.

Yeah, I understand.

And I know you'll take care of him, so I'm not rabid about it. (Haha rabid!) Obviously, there have been dogs that completely dig riding.

Whatever you decide, we expect (no- DEMAND!) plenty of excellent photographs and lots of written coverage, as well as detailed GPS tracks coolio.gif

Good idea to do a test trip with him first. Also something to keep in mind is having a bail out plan. Have someone lined up who would be willing to drive out and meet you along your route to pick him up and care for him if you find it's too rough on him. I like the idea of bringing the dog along but for me I'd be looking to do it in a sidecar rig. That KLR with sidecar that Randy's friend was selling would be perfect. Still wishing I had the money to buy it.

I’ve been thinking about how you can carry a month’s worth of food for the puppy (yeah I know who imagined that I could think). The best plan I could come up with is to have food sent to people along the route. You could go on Adventure rider and ask for drop houses along the route. While you may get some rude responses I’ll bet you could find several good people who will help you out. Then you could just stop by and restock up on food. :king:

The food shouldn't be an issue. If you are getting your dog's food from a vet you should have no problem finding vets along your route that will be able to restock your supply. If you aren't getting it from a vet you should be able to ship boxes to different post offices along your route. The post office will hold the box and you just pop in and pick it up. People used to do this all the time and it's a service I'm assuming they still offer.

The Tat is very remote. Sometime we did see people for a day or untill we gased up. I doubt many vets out their.

The food shouldn't be an issue. If you are getting your dog's food from a vet you should have no problem finding vets along your route that will be able to restock your supply. If you aren't getting it from a vet you should be able to ship boxes to different post offices along your route. The post office will hold the box and you just pop in and pick it up. People used to do this all the time and it's a service I'm assuming they still offer.

The Tat is very remote. Sometime we did see people for a day or untill we gased up. I doubt many vets out there

I agree. Many small towns, not much in them. But most probably DO have some type of vet available, or at least is other towns (that may or may not be close by).

That's one thing I loved about the TAT ......the remoteness, and all the small towns...no large cities or big towns at all !

I figured they'd have to leave the TAT and run in to nearby towns to get the task done. Sam states on his website that the average days ride is about 200 miles from motel to motel. Where there are motels there are usually towns, and at least a couple of those will have veterinarians. It’s not like they have to pick up dog food daily; probably only once or twice for the whole trip. It does bring up another concern though. Zina may want to do some research to find where the closest vets are along their route just in case Simon hunts down and eats a jackalope which upsets his sensitive digestive system.

A Jack Russell would absolutely LOVE a Jackalope.

All the flavor of a rabbit, and the antlers make great chew toys.

Zina may want to do some research to find where the closest vets are along their route just in case Simon hunts down and eats a jackalope which upsets his sensitive digestive system.

Simon would never eat a Jackalope -- his best friend, Jacques, happens to be of that ethnicity. They grew up in a time when a friendship like theirs was forbidden but they didn't care. A True Bromance is a bond that transcends species, haterz be damned.

post-1009-082453600 1296317230_thumb.jpg

Training update:

Simon did 200 street miles yesterday. Although it's not bumpy like a dirt road, he had to deal with a lot of side-to-side movement. The Tard is also set up quite stiff so whatever bumps there were he got to feel them.

post-1009-094626600 1299435654_thumb.jpg

We stopped at Dudley's to get something to eat before heading home. I think he'll be easy to sneak into places where a server doesn't come to your table. I just need to avoid taunting him by putting food just out of reach because he will vocally protest. Yeah, some people would consider it kind of mean, but the trade-off for him not working and paying his own way is that I get to perform various Pavlovian tests on him (all humane, of course).

post-1009-077340500 1299436007_thumb.jpg

The major test was whether or not he'd voluntarily get back into the backpack after the break; thankfully, he did.

Next test: Taking it from the pavement to dirt.

Another update on Simon's dirt training: In early April we took him on his first dirt ride along the border fence and then through a few trails in McCain.

post-1009-060383200 1305060233_thumb.jpg

He didn't seem to have a problem with it. When we let him out for a break he played fetch and then willingly got back into the backpack.

post-1009-004318000 1305060326_thumb.jpg

It was a total of about 180 miles of pavement and dirt.

This weekend is the next test. The bikes are loaded with just about everything we're going to take on the trip (dog food supply included). We're going to head up to the Santa Rosa Mountains and camp overnight in the "yellow post" area. I'm sure the sag will need some adjustments...

post-1009-008900300 1305060717_thumb.jpg

blink.gif

My thoughts exactly. I am supporting two other riders but carrying all of their camping gear, clothes and tools on an upcomming ride that we are doing (Grand Canyon Loop then the CDR) and we have less than is on even one of those bikes on my GSA.

I have been on trips carrying that much stuff before and did fine... in my truck :lol:

My thoughts exactly. I am supporting two other riders but carrying all of their camping gear, clothes and tools on an upcomming ride that we are doing (Grand Canyon Loop then the CDR) and we have less than is on even one of those bikes on my GSA.

You're really carrying less than is on one bike for three people camping? Three compressed sleeping bags alone would take up a fair amount of space.