!! Mileage update !!

3rd Leg - 71 miles to the river.

4th Leg - 39 miles to Glamis

Total - 110 miles between gas stops

This is over alot of sand. Most of it is established roads but there are alot of washes and eight miles is strait line distance over sand dunes. My big 5 gallon tank should be enough but I think a small gas container (.5gal) will be along for a ride.

Got out yesterday to preride a good portion of the 2nd leg from Tecate to El Centro. Thanks to Carguy for showing me around your backyard. What a blast! I'll definately be there for your next/first ride of the season.

My planned route required a lot of reorganizing. Unfortunately I couldn't see the boundary of a wilderness area that I mapped out a route through. So to appease the bureaucrats and tree huggers I had to go around and do a few miles on I-8 to get to the desert floor.

Awesome time yesterday. Almost 14 hours out of the house and on the bike for almost 250 miles.

After yesterdays ride while sipping a few cold ones at casa Carguy we talked it over and I thought it would be best to include a Fuel stop between Calexico and the River.

It's a 15 mile roundtrip pavement ride, but that'll reduce the distance significantly between gas stops.

Well after 6 1/2 months of piecing this together and staring down at California from space this ride is ready to go. I've got GPS tracks all laid out, i've pre-ridden some of the questionable areas that are close to home. The weather is right. Who's got a few days off and wants to ride 450 miles?

This ride is back on and being scheduled for March 28th to 30th.

The Beach to Ocotillo and Superstition to Julian sections have been preridden. The rest is the great outdoors and will be a mystery.

A hotel will be available on Day one the rest of the nights will be camping. This was originally a three day ride, but I think I'm going to take four now so I can enjoy all the areas we'll go through and not have to rush to get back. Although I still think it could be done in 3 days, maybe less if your hardcore. Certain sections have changed to make the distances between fuel stops less, but if you're on a stock tank forget it you'll still need at least 120 mile range for the initial run 140 would be better. Later re-rides will be different.

There will be some fun technical stuff on the the first leg around Jacumba. It should be more fun when loaded with overnight provisions. The rest will be sandwashes, dirt roads, goat trails, open area, and as little pavement as possible. There is pavement planned and always a possibility that there'll be more than planned. That's why they call it an adventure ride.

Jon

I sure hope I'm not scheduled to be gone when you decide to run this route. It looks like fun, and since I missed the DD I need something to fill the empty void in my life. :o

I am in on this one. Wife is going to let me go. I am understanding that this ride will start March 28 to Sun the 30th. Who else is in on this. I believe it will be first SDAR "Adventure" ride with camping and such. It would be nice to have a collective idea of what we are bringing or should bring. This will give us time to get it all together.

I'm going to try to make it work!

I have been to Picaho Sate Park before... Keep in mind they have Park rangers there and they might check to make sure your motorcycle is legal, and you have a current drivers license, registation and insurance... Which I'm assuming is not a problem for anyone? :o

Ron

How gnarly are the trails we're looking at? I'm interested in bringing along a KLR loaded with camping gear but I'm nowhere near as good with it as Pyro :o.

How gnarly are the trails we're looking at?

Sand lots and lots of sand. Many dunes and washes. Rock gardens are always possible when in canyons/washes. Jacumba has some good technical fun and there's a rocky wagon trail that'll put us onto the 8. I think the hardest part will be the 350+ miles that'll be done over a 3 day weekend. Of course being that the entire route has never been run, just getting there could be the biggest challenge of all. :o Be sure to bring patience and flexibility if you think you want to go. I'm packing light and travelling with only what I think I'll need.

If you're on the fence because of terrain you may want to sit this one out until a full preride has been done. I don't think a 3 day ride into the unknown is the time to test yourself or your bike.

How gnarly are the trails we're looking at?

Sand lots and lots of sand. Many dunes and washes. Rock gardens are always possible when in canyons/washes. Jacumba has some good technical fun and there's a rocky wagon trail that'll put us onto the 8. I think the hardest part will be the 350+ miles that'll be done over a 3 day weekend. Of course being that the entire route has never been run, just getting there could be the biggest challenge of all. :o Be sure to bring patience and flexibility if you think you want to go. I'm packing light and travelling with only what I think I'll need.

If you're on the fence because of terrain you may want to sit this one out until a full preride has been done. I don't think a 3 day ride into the unknown is the time to test yourself or your bike.

:o:):o:):o

Well I'm inexperienced in sand and long rides.

I think I will take Hondapilots advice and sit this one out!

Maybe next time. Have fun..

Ron

Well, I am experienced with sand and long rides, so I think I'll sit this one out, too. :o

Besides, I need to get a dez tank for my TE before I can do a ride like that :o

hey hondapilot, can you point me to the google path or something with the tracks and the dates. Sorry I don't want to go back and sift through all pages of this thread, but I think I might want to join you.

hey hondapilot, can you point me to the google path or something with the tracks and the dates. Sorry I don't want to go back and sift through all pages of this thread, but I think I might want to join you.

Dates are now in the subtitle, I'll bring the tracks with the Sierra Nevada when I stop in for the tire.

Does anyone going on the trip have a "spot" emergency beacon? :D

why you plan on dying

Does anyone going on the trip have a "spot" emergency beacon? :D

why you plan on dying

If I planned on dying, why would I want to signal for help? Thats just silly!

According to T-Mobile I'll have cell phone coverage for about 75% of the ride. We'll have riding buddies bum, so anything short of a roadblock and execution I think it's a pretty slim chance that we'd all be incapable of finding assistance. Along the entire ride we'll be within 25 miles of something, business, major highway, park ranger office, etc. I don't think radio beacons or sat phones will be necessary.

There are a few moto shops in El Centro we can hit for replacement parts or whatever's needed.

Mileages are...

1st leg 65

2nd leg 90

3rd leg 110

4th leg 35

5th leg 45

6th leg 70

7th leg 50

Total 465 miles

These are estimates and are based on distances between gas stations. The 3rd and 4th legs are based on straight lines drawn through the sand dunes that we'll traverse.

According to T-Mobile I'll have cell phone coverage for about 75% of the ride. We'll have riding buddies bum, so anything short of a roadblock and execution I think it's a pretty slim chance that we'd all be incapable of finding assistance. Along the entire ride we'll be within 25 miles of something, business, major highway, park ranger office, etc. I don't think radio beacons or sat phones will be necessary.

There are a few moto shops in El Centro we can hit for replacement parts or whatever's needed.

Mileages are...

1st leg 65

2nd leg 90

3rd leg 110

4th leg 35

5th leg 45

6th leg 70

7th leg 50

Total 465 miles

These are estimates and are based on distances between gas stations. The 3rd and 4th legs are based on straight lines drawn through the sand dunes that we'll traverse.

Let me know about that beer and tire so I can pick your brain on what to pack. I'm gonna toss on a new maxxis desert tire and do it on the 450!

Would you consider this doable on a tw 200? And if so would you mind riding a little slower(like maybe around ~50is mph~). I might be able to go if my arm is healed by then, which I beleive it will be.

are hotel reservations necessary for day one?