I have been slowly piecing together a ride based on dirt trips and info from Google Earth and Thomas' Bros. It will begin somewhere around Pacific Beach to a destination anywhere on the Colorado River for now. My intention is to get my tires in the sand along the beach and ride as much dirt as possible until I run into Arizona. Then of course I will turn around, because nobody wants to go to AZ. :)

Planned route will start at the beach and head East to Otay Mt with the "standard" route to Tecate to pick up the border fence road. And of course border fence for quite a ways. I am pretty confident on the east bound trip as far as Jacumba on mostly dirt roads but could use some help from there into the Imperial Valley and just beyond.

If there are any ideas or routes you know please share? I'd like similar but different routes for each way, if they exist.

Feel free to share anything you may have, as I posted I'm using Google Earth to construct the route so roads, lat. & long. coordinates and political as well as physical landmarks will work.

I'd like to incorporate Thing Valley Rd and maybe Carvacre Rd on the return, but again mostly dirt for the trip. Asphalt as a short connector only.

Thanks to all,

Jon

I do know some short routes, Jacumba West. We can ride anytime to set up your route.

Jon,

It sounds like quite an adventure. Getting across the Imperial Valley is relatively easy because it is rural and there are dirt roads everywhere - espeically along canal banks. I can ride from El Centro to Plaster City (about 25 miles) without touching pavement by taking canal banks. Eastern Imperial County is also relative easy because Gen. Patton used the area to train his tank troops prior to going to North Africa. The big obstacle that I can see right now is how to get from Jacumbe to the desert floor. I am not saying there isn't a route, I just don't know of any. I'll ask around and see what I can come up with. My best shot might be with some Border Patrol agents I know.

Chuck

Sounds like fun!

Another option I did recently with the advrider group would be Bradshaw Trail which goes from the North end of Salton Sea out to the river just South of Blythe. To get to the start of the trail you could go through the Borrego state park out to Salton Sea and then on dirt roads that parallel Highway 86 up to the North end of the sea.

I do know some short routes, Jacumba West. We can ride anytime to set up your route.

Thanks John, this one looks to require quite a bit of work. I'll likely have to get most of it on paper and then ride it for the money. Probably some time next season. Do you have any coordinates or some other way to find the trailheads you could share?

It sounds like quite an adventure. Getting across the Imperial Valley is relatively easy because it is rural and there are dirt roads everywhere.

The big obstacle that I can see right now is how to get from Jacumbe to the desert floor. I am not saying there isn't a route, I just don't know of any.

Chuck

Thank you Chuck,

I think it'll be a great time. and the Imperial Valley was one of the areas that I felt ok just winging it.

I've spent alot of time flying frieght over the Imperial Valley and as you said there are dirt roads everywhere. I also had the idea of riding along the rivers that traverse the valley on the way through, but canals could work too.

Jacumba to the desert is a tricky area and I may have to reroute to continue east.

Sounds like fun!

Another option I did recently with the advrider group would be Bradshaw Trail which goes from the North end of Salton Sea out to the river just South of Blythe. To get to the start of the trail you could go through the Borrego state park out to Salton Sea and then on dirt roads that parallel Highway 86 up to the North end of the sea.

I'll keep this in mind, thank you.

back to google for me, still looking for routes.

Jon

I'm up for it Bud; Let's do it!

I'll be patiently awaiting the time and date for this ride, should be epic!

Sounds like a Pyrocam mission is in order! :lol:

Thanks Aaron, new title could be, "Pigs to the River"

Lots of planning to do, I spent a good part of Monday while sick at home looking down from space at a route from Gordons Well to the Colorado River. Looks doable, but could take awhile to get to the river North of Yuma instead of straight East. I've heard the mountains out there are beautiful. Anyone been there? As I place my waypoints along the digital trail I definetely think it'll be a 3 day trip. Hopefully it'll be 3 days.

I think it'll have to be next season because the desert is warming quickly and there isn't enough weekends to do the local rides I have planned.

Jon

Screw the heat Jon: I'm always up for new learning experiences :

Let's get some of the guy's who want to get proficient at night rides! We will take it easy until we can own the trails like we do during the day!

Love it, ride it and treat it like you stole it!

HA!

Aaron

I have done this ride and couple of times. You leave SD and ride ther dirt from South bay via Otay Mtn to Barrett Junction. Then Tecate to Mountain Springs Grade. Then the Dessert Floor to Salton Sea. Short Steet to Meca and Dessert Junction. Dirt from There to Caldiz or Essex, over to Mitchell Caverns to pick up the Mojave Trail that will take you to the Colorado River in Laugnlin. Remember, there is no longer gas at Dessert Junction so get gas in Meca and then at Geoffs!!!

A possibility but goes quite a bit further North than I wanted. The first part is exactly as planned and it sure looks like the only way from Jacumba to the desert floor is I-8.

In my research for trails and goat paths East toward the CO, I found this tidbit.

"Only the courageous or the desperate attempt to cross the mountains between San Diego and the Colorado River." These words describe the hardships of travel through eastern San Diego County prior to the Civil War.

Shouldn't be nearly as difficult atop my trusty pig.

Thanks for the input,

Jon

DSC00059.jpg

I've gotten my starting point and first half or so of the eastbound trip planned out. I still need to preride a few sections to verify it is indeed open fireroad/trail. I might do some of this before Carguy's shindig if I don't join up with the group ride.

Cheers folks,

Jon

Still wanna do it! I'll be off for a couple of weeks starting Thursday, lemme know Bro! :D

So when are we goin? :D

check with the guy who runs the desert tower near jacumba.

he seemed to be helpful and informative.

he told me there were a couple of old stagecoach paths from mountain springs road turnoff to the desert floor

i tried to find them and was not successful.

too bad we cant bribe the railroad to let us pass on their right of way down the carrizo gorge rail line.

I might do some of this before Carguy's shindig if I don't join up with the group ride.

Cheers folks,

Jon

Don't be anti-social. Join us! I promise I won't sing any songs about 2-stroke machines. I'll even leave my MP3 player at home. Maybe we'll even find something for your beach-to-river ride

Guest Cheif Gunner

Like I posted earlier today.....I'll be off for 12 days starting Thursday. I have another bathroom to "Face Lift" and one or two projects around the house to knock out but I will leave some time open for a "spur of the moment ride".....

Anyone who wants to play hookie during the next week or so from work lemme know, I need an excuse to get out and ride! :D

Gunz

The temps in the desert have been into the 100-teens this week. This ride isn't going to happen until September at the soonest. I'd love to do it next week, but reallistically it's too dangerous to be venturing into the desert in small groups with the summer temps this extreme.

Next month I'll be flying over the desert between Yuma to El Centro and then to San Diego. Hopefully I'll be able to pick out some roads/trails to finish the trip.

I'll have to talk with the forest service in Jacumba about the trails out there.

Gene, what I need to check first is a few roads between Barrett and Tecate. Just want to take a few lookie-lews for gates or road blocks. After that I think it'll be too hot for solo ops. I believe you were meeting for the pre-ride in Tecate? Hopefully I'll see you there.

Jon

he told me there were a couple of old stagecoach paths from mountain springs road turnoff to the desert floor

too bad we cant bribe the railroad to let us pass on their right of way down the carrizo gorge rail line.

I talked with somebody who actually rode from Jacumba to the desert floor. I wasn't thinking about doing the ride, or anybody else doing it at the time, or I would have paid more attention to his story and asked questions. It was just some guy I met on the trail and not a member of the club. He and a few friends rode down this old stagecoach road in a canyon. It was a difficult trail, about six to eight feet wide, on the edge of a steep cliff, lots of rocks and sloping away towards the canyon. So there is a way, at least according to one person. I wish I knew who he was so I could contact him. Maybe I'll go out there and snoop around myself, if I get some vacation time.

I know where they are. :clapping:

Jacumba is BLM & Wilderness.

I have planned to take I-8 from Jacumba to the Desert. I can see some trails on Google Earth but they don't look to go anywhere. I'd certainly like to hear what is out there though. I'll talk to you more next weekend :clapping:

Jon

I have planned to take I-8 from Jacumba to the Desert. I can see some trails on Google Earth but they don't look to go anywhere. I'd certainly like to hear what is out there though. I'll talk to you more next weekend :clapping:

Jon

I googled the area too. Couldn't find anything on the north side of the freeway, but on the south side it looks like there is a really nutty route that after twisting and turning in all directions and almost going into Mexico will dump out on a road just south of I 8 and Ocotillo. Looks like you get lost easy if you didn't get the whole thing mapped out thoroughly. Very interesting looking. Wonder if there are gates. Wonder if it is the same stuff as Carguy knows about.

Jon, your route from the desert floor to AZ border is possible. I had two friends that went from Octillo all the way to the AZ line on big Quads loaded with provisions. I dont know the exact route but they did it. With a plated bike would be alot easier than quads.

Thanks Aaron, new title could be, "Pigs to the River"

Hold yer horses there pa'dner, the big pumkin wants in :clapping: Hope I don't have to paint it red to join :cray: September sounds good :ph34r:

Sounds good to me. I reckon I might fancy a ride like that :clapping: