KTMrad

New BLM Permit Requirements for Desert Dash

The BLM has gotten real strict about organized events after the Johnson Valley race accident that killed people in the crowd.

I'm getting the actual requirements on paper, but my contact at BLM said we will probably need a 4x4 vehicle with a certified EMT available to transport and treat any injuries that may happen on BLM lands.

Anybody got any suggestions ??

The BLM has gotten real strict about organized events after the Johnson Valley race accident that killed people in the crowd.

I'm getting the actual requirements on paper, but my contact at BLM said we will probably need a 4x4 vehicle with a certified EMT available to transport and treat any injuries that may happen on BLM lands.

Geez, they're going to force commercial ride promoters to go underground with their rides so they can keep the costs under control..... <_<:angry2:

Schwinn probably has some contacts......I also have a couple of EMT contacts....

"organized ride",,this isnt a race. sounds like there is a little overkill push happening there. A racing crash should have no bearing on a get together ride.

How does a ride get classified?,, we all show up and ride like any dez weekend get together,, do we need to present official emt coverage?

What constitutes the requirements for special operations and coverages. It sounds like typical over regulation. This is a DS club get together ride not a sanctioned race,, do the 4x4/jeep clubs need to have emt services for their dez get togethers now?

Does the BLM need to be notified that we citizens are riding on "our" land legally with legally operated vehicles?

All this is just simple Q&A stuff.

additionally, the crash was an offroad truck into a crowd of close on the course spectators,,,,,,,this is like saying because of an I-5 car accident.......

we have absolutly nothing in common with that crash other than being engine powered and earthbound and somewhere in the dez (not even within 100 miles of the incident).

Well I have a 4X4 and was EMT certified. Pretty sure I'm not current but could be with a refresher course. I'll look into when I could get renewed. But I should be considered a last resort. I'm sure we can find an EMT to come out for the weekend.

Covered in Rust

You can contact LESAR.... (D38 support).

... I'd think for a small fee, they'd be able to supply a person to ride in a 4x4 or even supply both.

I'd be happy to "pitch in" for that support.

And Rob, I agree....

But, you have to look at it from BLM's point as well... we're on their land, and they don't know how big or small this ride is... nor do they know the caliber of the rider or persons involved. It's a "Safe" thing to do, however... only one, may be a bit of a problem if two or more incidents happen at one time.

It'd be cool if they allowed SPOT devices with GEOS Alliance coverage, or riders with "Reach for Life" services to sweep and be a part of the solution. As I have both, I hope to never use either.... but, knowing I've got assistance only a button push away always helps. For the small cuts/bruises... there's not even a need for EMT, but again... it's a good safety precaution knowing they are in close range (this develops more problems, with 'how to contact' the resident EMT... cell, satellite, radio...??)

On my destination rides, I deal with this kind of thing often... and make sure I know of each clinic or hospital in every area I ride through. And also have contact information for each of them. Better safe than sorry!

"organized ride",,this isnt a race. sounds like there is a little overkill push happening there. A racing crash should have no bearing on a get together ride.

How does a ride get classified?,, we all show up and ride like any dez weekend get together,, do we need to present official emt coverage?

What constitutes the requirements for special operations and coverages. It sounds like typical over regulation. This is a DS club get together ride not a sanctioned race,, do the 4x4/jeep clubs need to have emt services for their dez get togethers now?

Does the BLM need to be notified that we citizens are riding on "our" land legally with legally operated vehicles?

All this is just simple Q&A stuff.

additionally, the crash was an offroad truck into a crowd of close on the course spectators,,,,,,,this is like saying because of an I-5 car accident.......

we have absolutly nothing in common with that crash other than being engine powered and earthbound and somewhere in the dez (not even within 100 miles of the incident).

Robert, I understand what you are saying.......but the BLM is going to do what it has to do...they're the freakin' Federal Government ! :o:lol:

That mean there just needs to be 1 EMT available for each day?

I was out at the Glamis sand drags this weekend and saw a motorcycle running about 50mph lose control, veer toward the crowd and take out about three people. Nobody suffered severe injuries or anything too serious, so a big deal wansn't made about it. The only reason there wern't serious injuries is that the guy managed to get it slowed down (via natural means due to loss of control) before hitting the three guys. So....bikes can and do have a lot in common with what happened in Johnson Valley, if the situation is allowed to develop.

Not that you would have that situation in the DD, but the two situations are very similar.

Also, the difference between this and a casual ride are that this is

1. AMA sanctioned

2. Money making

3. For profit (not the same a money making)

4. Publicly advertised

5. Officially sponsored by many businesses

I agree with what you say on many of the subjects, but you have to see it from the BLM perspective and frame the requirements that way. Take a look at the D38 boards and see the ass-pain they are going through.

Good my post worked, topics of conversation and great ideas with differing viewpoints from various experiences.

Thanks, good stuff printed, rules are rules and those BLM guys just went through investigations and microscopic views of their policies and regulations governing use of the lands that they patrol for us, because of the ugly/sad incident.

Good call on LESAR (I too am checking in with an old rider friend that was with LESAR).

I am sure they could easily have a few EMT certified DS chase riders out on the ride that would love to be on the ride. As well as the mentioned riders connections with willing 4x4 chase crews. KTMRad, plenty of time to get the right combo to keep the DD getting good traction for success. RN

Randy,

I'm also hearing from some in D38 that there is a 180 day lead time for race permits, but have been fairly lax in enforcement of that requirement.

my whole problem with the BLM making it harder to ride on "their" land is that since it is part of the government (the government the people of america own) then we the people own the BLM and therefore it is in reality our land.

Well, sure it's all our land, just like the song says, right? But that does not mean anybody can do anything at any time on it. If that was the case, I'd just build a nice house on it with my own airstrip and strip mine.

Or I might just, under the "our land" idea, cordon it all off for the Yellow-Bellied Squeak Mouse habitat.

These are set aside for shared and regulated use. I don't believe they should go crazy with that, but there needs to be reasonable regulation.

In this case, I think SDAR is bringing in revenue and is sponsoring riders to come down and ride in fairly large numbers. I think it's common sense that if SDAR is going to provide camping arrangements, lunch, GPS tracks etc that SDAR might want to provide some facility in case of emergency.

I did not read the whole thread but my truck is more than capable and is available for use.

I did not read the whole thread but my truck is more than capable and is available for use.

I have a friend up north who is an EMT. He will be in San Diego during that time. I will ask if he would be willing to support.

Randy, What does he need to have/provide? I don't know but would like to be informed when I talk to him.

If it makes the BLM happy I'll park an airplane at Agua Caliente airport for "emergency evac" use.

Bumping this post.......here is what BLM wants....I must provide details as to the EMT's level of certification, what exact equipment they will have, and an operating plan as to how we will handle emergency recovery.......already have most of it, just missing the EMT info........

For Motorized, non-competitive events under 150 participants, the permittee shall insure the provision of first aid services capable of locating, rendering aid to, and evacuating any accident victim. First aid services shall include a person currently certified as an EMT Basic or higher, equipped with sufficient supplies for emergencies, including locally approved equipment for the immobilization of the cervical spine. A dedicated and reliable communication system shall be provided sufficient to provide immediate contact for the first aid provider (EMT) to local emergency dispatch centers.

I'm in contact with Steelrain's friend who might be able to do this, and also with LESAR, sent them an e-mail, waiting for response.

May want to contact 'Marc with a C' on ADVRider, D37, or DualSportMoto.

His sig says:

RESCUE 3 RAPID RESPONDER 328

I'm fairly certain he did sweep on LAB2V.

Here is his profile on D37: HERE

If you're still looking, let me know, I'll get in contact with a friend up in Temecula that's an EMT instructor, he knows lots of them. Just need a B, right?

If you're still looking, let me know, I'll get in contact with a friend up in Temecula that's an EMT instructor, he knows lots of them. Just need a B, right?

Yes, we need a EMT Basic minimum....but he has to have all the necessary equipment, including the proper way to stabilize cervical injuries.

I'm still looking at the possibilities, but LESAR is probably the best way to go since they'll have all the equipment. My friend Colin at Top Value Tire (Desert Dash Sponsor) is getting me the contact number for the Prez of LESAR.

Thanks !

Yes, we need a EMT Basic minimum....but he has to have all the necessary equipment, including the proper way to stabilize cervical injuries.

I'm still looking at the possibilities, but LESAR is probably the best way to go since they'll have all the equipment. My friend Colin at Top Value Tire (Desert Dash Sponsor) is getting me the contact number for the Prez of LESAR.

Thanks !

I didn't realize how sensitive the BLM was to female anatomy injuries. :heh: I crack myself up....

Think he ment the neck one. I do have the training to stabilize the patient neck and all injuries First Aid, BBP, AED current. Not an EMT. Schwinn had EMT, not sure if it is current? We could carry inflatable neck beds the weight is next to nothing, just blow up like a beach ball. Cardboard ect lots of different ways. Rent Sat phones each year for sweep/EMT/Medical support group???

Any EMT B will work with basic FA gear. Any EMT B riders in our group? I will carry the gear.

Thanks to all the people that do not want US to ride on OUR LAND!! Don't give up, ride on!

Thanks to Spyder, we found a certified Paramedic who will come to the Desert Dash to provide the necessary standby equipment and services required to obtain the BLM Permits. It will cost $400 for the weekend, not bad.

thanks to all for your suggestions and help !