ADV Bum

looking for wifes first quad

My wife has decided she wants to join the fun and get a quad. She has no experience with off road, so thinking simple. After looking around on craigslist I am finding a couple different options. The honda 250 trx or suzuki 250 lt. It seems these would also be a good leap for my oldest when he out grows the Chinese 110. What other options should I look at?

i an NOT condone or endorse this sort of behavior or activity...

might as well buy her a jeep...same number of wheels and it is street legal...4 wheel dual sport

you might consider since she is a girl (she is a girl right?) a polaris since they have the VST and you dont have to shift...makes it easier for a newb

you might consider since she is a girl (she is a girl right?)

Maybe because I am having a real bad day, but I am not getting this humor. Are you insulting me or my wife? Can someone please enlighten me as to the joke that I am missing?

My wife and kids have been riding quads for years now, the polaris is easy to ride, no real shifting, but resale sucks! go with the honda if you ever want to sell it again, but I prefer the suzuki I bought the first one in san diego back in 85 from lemon grove suzuki, cost me $2350 OTD and it was a great fast quad. alyeska

My wife, a female, has the Suzuki LTZ400. Clutch, shifter, everything....same experience level as your wife. She did fine and even did a 75 mile day at the KOA North Glamis weekend (thx again for that one Jeff).

The LTZ250 has shifting, but auto clutch. As much as I've been on CL, the LTZ's hold their value pretty well. Now is the time to buy for sure.

The two stroke 200 Yamaha Blaster is a pretty simple machine too. Don't know if it's green sticker though.

Hey-

My close friend is selling her quad - LTZ 400 that I originally helped her buy and have been maintaining it. She is listing it in San Fran as that's where the quad is right now - I travel there often and can bring it down to San Diego if you want. The bike is in excellent condition.

Here is the CL ad for the thing. Crawdaddy originally had the quad, I picked it up from him about a year ago.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/1949045204.html

Let me know if you are interested-

Thanks,

George

Mike, I tried to send this in a PM but it said you coulndt receive them.

I was intending to tease YOU not to offend you or especially not to offend your wife.

I was joking about quads being only for girls....and i was challenging YOUR manhood for even considering a quad...not your wifes desire to have one...

I was not thinking of your rough day with your dog, or anything else that you may be dealing with.

I am sorry about your rottie, and anything else that you may have had going on.

We usually have good natured ribbing between you and I and this was another failed attempt on my part of internet humor...

I AM SORRY Mike...

Friends?

Kelly

Mike, My daughter rode my old Banshee at Glamis last season and is now not to thrilled with her Honda 300 Quad, the damn thing starts every time even after months of sitting, is very low hours, and I love to ride it, the gearing is great and it runs and runs, well it is a Honda. I am not positive she will part with it but I think she has outgrown it. It do's have a clutch and lights, no paddles (the daughter won't go into the dunes). Anyway I do not know what they sell for but let me know if you are interested.

Charlie, (uncle champ). We are in Pine Valley.

Thanks for all the offers, but I think I will stay with the honda 250 or the suzuki 250. I believe they are both air cooled, but the honda is shaft drive. Would you consider the shaft drive a + or - ?

Tossing in my 2 cents...I have an '06 Blaster that our kids have outgrown. It's oil injected, so no hassles there. It's easy to kick start and a "blast" to ride. The newer ones are Red sticker, but if it's for the desert, there should be no problem with the restriction. If you would like more info on the Blaster, just ask.

The two you've mentioned are great beginner quads due to the clutch-less shifting, electric start and size. I'm not sure that there is a noticeable difference between shaft/chain drive for this level of quad.

Happy hunting :-)

Thanks for all the offers, but I think I will stay with the honda 250 or the suzuki 250. I believe they are both air cooled, but the honda is shaft drive. Would you consider the shaft drive a + or - ?

Don't know much about the Suzuki.......but I do know that the 250EX I have has been an excellent bike...shaft drive, auto clutch easy to maintain and just keeps on going.

Actually looking for another one or like bike (200sx) for my daughter who has defenitly outgrown her LT80.

Now that I think about it.....my sister used to ride a Suzuki 230 and a lady in camp has had hers since new (1986) great bikes as well that keep on going.

maybe I should work up some trade skilz for the LT80 with "extras" for a bigger quad.

I am not sure if anyone has mentioned it but the Honda 400ex is a great quad. My wife has one and truly loves it! It will go as fast or slow as she wants. Has elec start and reverse. They are very reasonable on CL right now. We have had this quad since 2005 and have had zero trouble with it.

Ben.

hey mike, I have an 06 ltz400....great machine....she is welcome to try it......either way.....I bought it brand new in 06, used it one season, separated my shoulder playing arena soccer the next season....I've pretty much been the only one to use it, and the last 2 years I haven't touched a quad (since I discovered how FUN bikes are!)....so low hours.......mine is for sale, but because I paid $5800 and have a brand new set of paddles on alum rims, I won't sell it all less than $3500....she is welcome to try it even if you're not interest in buying.......I figure I'll get to the dunes with some of the sdar folks and have some fun riding the sand again....let me know, we could meet at pine valley or something....deb

He did mention he might want to pass it on to his kid when he gets old enough so maybe a 250 is the better option, but a 400 will be a little more comfortable suspension/size wise for a adult, a friend of mine has a 250 and she and the quad dont weigh enough to move the suspension, but out of the 2 bikes you are looking at i would go with the honda, its a solid quad and i believe the shaft is very low or no maintenance

I did it today. I finally found the gem I was looking for. Many people tried to pass of stuff that was "Low hours, Barely ridden, Great shape" that was beat. This was truly like new. Still had the tire whiskers and the sand tires had 0 hours. He could not start as he brought a charged battery, but he thought it was dead. He went and bought a new battery. Turned out after I told him to put it in neutral, Bingo, we had power. Ran nice, but needs a carb cleaning since it has been sitting for 1 year or so. Got it for $1750.

I ended up going with the Suzuki over the Honda. The two machines are almost identical. Both low maintenance shaft drive, no clutch, bullet proof engines. After reading many reviews a few people had some issues with the honda, but no one had issues with the suzuki. There were tons of honda's, but the suzuki's are holding value better than the honda.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/rvs/1968344688.html

Congrats! Family quad trips in the future.....:D

Possible "family trip" to Truckhaven Nov. 5-7