kellymac530

adventure bike ideas

I've ridden lot's of hard stuff at Big Bear, Bass Lake, Mammoth, etc. on my "ADV" bike.......how cool is that??? (more smiling/laughing/winking icons here)......those trails aren't an option on a traditional ADV bike.......the cliff/ledge single track we rode in Mammoth on Monday would absolutely NOT be an option on a big bike......no sweat on the little WR250R.......yet it also purrs along on the pavement stretches thanks to the street bike engine/fuel injection :)

Yes, true......but you didn't ride the bike there either.

A True Adventure Bike Ride is leaving your house on your bike, covering lots of miles and returning on your bike.....no trucks involved.

I've ridden lot's of hard stuff at Big Bear, Bass Lake, Mammoth, etc. on my "ADV" bike.......how cool is that??? (more smiling/laughing/winking icons here)......those trails aren't an option on a traditional ADV bike.......the cliff/ledge single track we rode in Mammoth on Monday would absolutely NOT be an option on a big bike......no sweat on the little WR250R.......yet it also purrs along on the pavement stretches thanks to the street bike engine/fuel injection :)

Correct, but that was mainly due to time constraints......

If I had the time/cash to figure out a decent off road route, I'd ride to all those places from my driveway without hesitation.......but I’m generally constrained by time and therefore I have to crush out a bunch of hwy miles to maximize time off road…….therefore I’d rather trailer a portion of the way REGARDLESS of ADV bike......I trailered my KTM 620 ADV, 996 road bike, etc. too……. who wants to slab ~450 miles of straight/flat/boring pavement to Mammoth on ANY bike?!?!?!.......not me......so, if I’m pressed for time, and I always seem to be, I'd rather save my tires/ass for the good stuff.......I plan on heading around the Grand Canyon with Strega in the opposite direction at some point (trailer to Vegas), riding Baja tip to tip at some point (trailer to the border), riding the Kings of the West ride (trailer to start line), TAT, Mex to Canada, etc., etc.......all these rides will involve some degree of trailer use due to "working man" time constraints........and once off the truck, I won’t hesitate to do all those rides on the WR250R......true, it’s not a traditional ADV bike......but I'm not stuck in a traditional thinking box.....in "my" opinion, Yamaha came up with a great/revolutionary idea for a new type of ADV bike when they decided to put a low maintenance/rugged/fuel injected "street bike" engine with a 350 watt alternator into a smallish/manageable dirt bike frame....

“My” simple definition of an ADV bike/ride is “a multiday ride where the bike is equipped to swallow big off road miles with minimal maintenance, power/recharge all accessories, and can also carry gear to support a multiday/unsupported outing”……whereas “my” simple definition of a Dualsport bike/ride is some sort of day ride or day loop where you don’t need to pack a bunch of “gear” and it’s also typically more technical riding and shorter in distance…….......and this is where the WR250R surprised me........I didn’t expect this admittedly heavy/underpowered ADV bike to be able to handle dualsporting as well as it does......it’s not a superstar in either environment but so far it's handled everything I've throw at it......and it's much easier for me to handle/manage than a traditional bigger/heavier ADV bike....

In either case, ADV or Dualsport, I could give a sh*t if people choose to trailer to the start line......."to me", there is NO shame in blowing off boring pavement sections to the greatest extent possible......in fact, I encourage it!.......of course this presumes the mission statement is to stay off road to the greatest extent possible........if the mission statement is simply, “take me from point A to point B and I don’t care how much pavement I swallow in the process but I'd like to be able to tackle ALMOST anything off road"......then perhaps I’d be more inclined to stay with a big bike....but that's not my mission statement.......I want a bike that'll go _______ (you know the rest - HA!)

I may never sway you from your big bikes rule mentality.........likewise, it would be difficult for anyone to convince me that less is not more :)

...in "my" opinion, Yamaha came up with a great/revolutionary idea for a new type of ADV bike when they decided to put a low maintenance/rugged/fuel injected "street bike" engine with a 350 watt alternator into a smallish/manageable dirt bike frame...

Now where's my WR450R? Yamaha lacks in that department (Bigger bore EFI) =\

Wow........what an essay.

Like you said, to each his own.

All I know is, when I go on a bike trip......that's what it is, bike all the way from start to finish.

Trucking to a bike trip is for girls and Harley riders :lol:

Chris, I don't get your argument that you need to truck to a starting point to make time, due to working man time restraints ?

A bike on the road will get you somewhere faster than in a truck loaded with motorcycles. And it's more fun too !

I'll take riding v. time in a truck anyday !

Flat/straight/paved roads bore me.......I'd rather ride in the comfort of a truck, turn up the stereo, have a beverage, BS with a passenger to pass the time, and not be concerned about idiots in cars not seeing me......also allows me/the bike to be "fresh" when we reach the good stuff.....

Once again, to each his own :)

Trucking to a bike trip is for girls and Harley riders :lol:

Don't you own a Harley?

Don't you own a Harley?

Yeah, and I'm a girl too :lol:

I wouldn't truck my Harley to Sturgis.

Yes, to each his own about Adventure Riding definition.

It's been a good, fun discussion though ! ^_^

Good comments all around, albeit some off-topic from kellymac's query for "Adventure" bike input. He's already got a 530 and showed interest in going LARGER into the "official" adventure bike category rather than smaller.

Since there's been plenty of Strom talk and we haven't heard from Craig, I'll chime in.

1000 cc = V Strom

650 cc = Wee Strom LOL

In any event, as previously mentioned , they're not made for the dirt but can be taken there. Craig told me he's done with dirt on his Wee Strom, now DRZ only.

Also, while attending the Jimmy Lewis School a guy on his Wee just could NOT get through a section so Jimmy rode it and actually tossed it right in front of our group. As he's picking up the bike he says to his wife Heather, "no more V Stroms allowed at the school".

Good comments all around, albeit some off-topic from kellymac's query for "Adventure" bike input. He's already got a 530 and showed interest in going LARGER into the "official" adventure bike category rather than smaller.

Off Topic ??????......."official" only??????

That's not the way I read it......

.....what bike do people like, and are there any suggestions or pos/neg reviews....

No need to stay with the philosophjy that the only ADV bikes are the "official" big bikes........simply not true anymore......times/technology have changed that......so I threw in my $.02........

wow, now this is what i want, some legitamit debate.

i wanted some input.

i apprecitate the side by side comparison of the V & Wee....

Crawdaddy....i am fully aware of the capabilities of the wrr. I would not dispute the "possibilities" or potential "capabilities" of the wrr...but it is NOT what i am looking for...if you look at my first couple of posts, i am looking for more of a adv TOURER...something to put in alot of SLAB miles.

if i were gonna trailer/truck a bike somewhere and ride more dirt when i get there.....i would keep my 530, which i may do anyway....my 530 bullet proof, quite smooth, comfortable {except the seat. and that is fixable} and i would not hestitate to take it "ANYWHERE" just the same as your wrr. there are threads of guys who have done baja tip to tip, TAT, mexico to canada, africa, so. america, aus. on ktm's as well as your wrr.

i have put 200 miles on it on tough trails in a day and 350ish in a weekend, and 200+ on it at KM last year in 2 days...yes the oil changes on it may be more than your wrr but everything else is great.

what i am looking to get is a TOURER that i can connect back roads on thru a dirt road or a logging road, sevice road...etc...

a bike i can ride like a goldwing or an elctra glide, but also buzz out a dirt road to that secluded lake or remote beach...the kind of bike i could ride to alaska and then take that gravel up to the arctic circle.

ride to mammoth and then explore dirt roads back to streams.

if i were to ride a single, like a wrr, a 530, a klr, dr650 or even the highly acclaimed xrl i would still want to push it hard, jump, hit whoop sections fast...things like that....i am wanting a bike that i can take on long back roads {pavement} and explore a few dirt roads....and NOT be tempted to do single track, blast whoops {not that i am fast} or jump...

a gsa or the V/wee strom sound like my best bet, as much as i like the 950/990 i think i will still be tempted to push that bike...

thanks for all of the "spirited" discussion...i am still open to ideas...i am gonna wait until after some more treatments and diagnosis before i do anythink rash....

i would put a smiley face or something but there are still NO emoticons

These guys are all knowledgeable and experienced. Good advice.

However-

No one has yet mentioned my solution. As my wife has stated before on this forum "most people have an all purpose bike but you (Zenosan) have a bike for all purposes".

Although this is not exactly true over the last 50 years I have acquired 19 motorcycles. It is unrealistic the expect my 79 Husky 390 to do the job of my Yamaha Virago and vice versa. But if you don't have the room or inclination get a nice Honda XL or XR or other good dualsport bike mentioned above. They are about as close as you can get to an all purpose bike. Just make sure that it fits you and the riding you want to do and forget about impressing the masses.

SD BMW has the "take it all day" test bikes so that may be an option. I was up in the Valley of the Temecu on the Wee Monday but ran out of time as I was thinking of dropping in. Maybe another trip so you could take it out (as long as your head swivels). I may have to make a trip to Hemet shortly so we'll see how that shakes out.

Whatever you end up with will be FUN......and that's the point. I saw Zeno's collection Saturday (thx again to you and Tisha for everything) and wish I had the room.

i would donate a "nut" to science to be able to afford to own a stable of bikes, and to be able to keep my wife happy while having a stable of bikes she has to walk past everyday...

as it is she hates me owning the 3 bikes i own already...my ktm530, my vintage yami ym1 305{long term project bike} and my daughters wr250f...and NO that is NOT a dig at a wr250 being a girls bike

{insert lol emoticon}

i would love to keep my 530 and add a BIG adv bike..but not in the wallet right now

Well; for 6 grand, you could get a used strom, keep some in the bank, and get another DS bike when you're healed up

The problem with a DS as nice as yours is, most other bikes will not measure up...so, then you are in the position of selling your (strom or whatever) to get your new orange bike.

A DRZ, XRL, etc will not satisfy you in the dirt...down on power, up in weight, and sucky suspenders.

Maybe sell the pumpkin, get a strom, and borrow the girls bike until you're ready to pull the trigger on a first rate dirt bike...

I will say; the upright seating position of adv bikes is perfect for all day riding. And those bikes run the twisties pretty darn good...not SuMo good, or sportbike good, but good. And SD has some great roads; wait ...you're up by 74...same thing.

yeah bob that is what i was thinking...as almost as comfortable as a touring bike and easily outfitted with lots of storage for longer tours, and yet more versatile for off pavement explorations...i was planning on picking up a big twin at some in the not to far off future anyway...butthis neck thing may just speed it up....

still, like you said, im having a really hard time even thinking of losing my very dialed in orange scooter...

change may be inevitable...but sometimes it sucks

Let’s see “as comfortable as a touring bike and easily outfitted with lots of storage for longer tours”. Well my Harley-Davidson Electra-Glide does that. I have also taken it down 40 miles of gravel road and over the washboard dirt road to Bodie. So I guess the Harley is an adventure bike? It rides well on the street and can travel gravel / dirt roads.

So when are you getting the Harley?

been there done that....over it

i saw ktmrads thread of the guy on the HD duece or is it douche? on that dirt road im mammoth and thru that stream, then stuck on the up hill....im good with NOT doing that...

besides, cost is of huge concern, since im NOT working...workers comp is less that my income....

and a V/wee strom is substantially cheaper than an electra...SOOOO yeah there is that...besides im over killing cows in the interest of LOOKING cool... :D

been there done that....over it

i saw ktmrads thread of the guy on the HD duece or is it douche? on that dirt road im mammoth and thru that stream, then stuck on the up hill....im good with NOT doing that...

besides, cost is of huge concern, since im NOT working...workers comp is less that my income....

and a V/wee strom is substantially cheaper than an electra...SOOOO yeah there is that...besides im over killing cows in the interest of LOOKING cool... :D

Hey I now only kill the dinosaurs when I go on adventure rides. Leather weighs to much when it gets wet, synthetic is much more versatile. You can still have great times on a road bike, even a Harley. A guy went around the world on a Harley-Davidson Sportster and he is a double amputee.

Here are links to three trips I took and I went on dirt roads on all three trips. I think I need to do another one. Anyway my point is that even if you can’t hit the single track for a while you can still have some terrific times on two wheels.

Comment about the Wee Stroms.

"In any event, as previously mentioned , they're not made for the dirt but can be taken there. Craig told me he's done with dirt on his Wee Strom, now DRZ only.

Also, while attending the Jimmy Lewis School a guy on his Wee just could NOT get through a section so Jimmy rode it and actually tossed it right in front of our group. As he's picking up the bike he says to his wife Heather, "no more V Stroms allowed at the school". "

Russ - from the Bass Lake ride - totally connected, lifetime motorcycle rider, ... etc. When talking to him he told me -- "If he could only have one bike it would be the Suzuki 650 Vstrom." Sure he makes a few mods to it to make it more dirt worthy, but given his history with motorcyling I think that's pretty high praise.

I've got big (GS1150) and now very small (250 yamaha) with the 450 inbetween. Big is fun - but it is more work if you take them to stupid places, Now an H2 -- that would be really fun.

Big is fun "That's what she said!" but it is more work if you take them to stupid places, Now an H1 -- that would be really fun.

Fixed it for ya ;)

i think if i end up going this route {big twin adv tourer} it will be a the big Vstrom or a bmw gsa just like snail darters... ;)

Big is fun "That's what she said!" but it is more work if you take them to stupid places, Now an H1 -- that would be really fun.

Fixed it for ya ;)

I think he meant the BMW HP2

hp2.jpg

You mentioned an older GS being an option:

My link