kellymac530

adventure bike ideas

so here is my dilema.

this neck injury i have prevents me from riding in the dirt, at least for now.

i have putted around town running some errands here and there, and i have loved getting a little wind in my face.

this injury looks like it may take a while to work out. if it is gonna be 6 months or a year until i can ride dirt again, the 530 is NOT the most comfortable bike on the street.

i have a buddy who is willing to give me a decent price for my 530 and first dibbs on buying it back when im healthy....

i am considering selling it to him and picking up an ADV type of bike for a while. even as i get better i could ride a bigger bike on street and fire roads until i am completely healthy.

first dilema...should i take up my buddy on his offer, and move toward a bigger ds bike at least for now?

second...what bike do people like, and are there any suggestions or pos/neg reviews?

of course IF money were NO object, i think it would be a newer ktm 990adventure S or the 2010 R...but money is a concern...i also love the bmw GSA models...again money is a concern...

price wise the DL 1000 v storm is much more viable, but like ANY bike there are pros and cons....with a little finagling and shopping i might be able to find a little older 950 adv or a gs1100Adv, but for the same money i could get a 2 yr old or so DL1000, maybe with more farkles like bags already on it..

i want it to be a twin, and it must be smooth running and possible to commute on after i go back to work...

i have not decided yet if i want to make the swap yet but it is very possible option....i could ride it more comfortably NOW on the street, adv it and commute on it later....

i am ALWAYS up for a spirited conversation...and you will not offend me...so throw it out there....any other options? and if so...what and why... :)

I had a V strom.... even rode some real trails on it. SDL has taken his 650 on some pretty nasty trails too.... to put it bluntly; they are a street bike. No more capable in the dirt than a cb750 as far as I am concerned

Your links were taking forever, so let me give you the best advice I can: Honda CRF250 with Baja Designs Kit :ph34r:

:lol:

Ok; seriously.. assuming you want to commute/street ride and poke around on some fire roads: any of the Jap 650s will do the trick... a DRZ400 will do the trick... cheap, streetable, and dirtable. As for your 530... what's the issue with modding it to suit your needs? a comfy seat... aftermarket windscreen.... re-gear for the road...

as for your buddy and that deal... that will give you the cash to buy something else, but you'll spend it, right?

consider selling it to him with no strings attached... down the road, if you decide you'd like it back, negotiate then.. good luck on your neck and bike dealings

If its only six months before you can ride dirt-then heal up-don,t push it-heal up and only ride your small bike around town.

I hope you will live a long time so you will get back to riding soon enough. Take a break !

Kelly - 1st off...take the time to heal and I hope it's quickly.

I use my Strom 650 as a road bike but have done the Otay Mtn loop on it....sorta rocky hill and all....on the stock deathwings. It makes a great all around bike but I'd be hesitant to call it an adventure bike.....maybe adventure tourer. I almost put some more DS oriented tires on it for the last ride to Toro Peak and it would have been fine for that.

As BS pointed out, SDland has put some serious miles on his and Gbus Crisis did just under 11,000 miles on his on an Alaska trip. The 650 actually has a better maintenance record than the 1000 & it's been plenty....even 2-up.

These folks have some opinions.........check the V-Curious thread.

THE LINKS were older 950 ktm, older bmw 1100 gsa, an aprillia coponade, cagiva elefant, and a triumph tiger...and a well sorted dl 1000 VS all in the 5k-6.5k which would put them in the ball park of what i could get from him....

i really would want it to be a twin...not a dr/klr/xrl 650...the 530 is actually fine for around town stuff and yes with a seat it would be better, but im looking at trying a bit more long haul type of stuff...and yes more adv tourer. mostly country roads with an occasional fire/access road at a slow pace.

not talking about hard trails...im talking a road you could drive a 2wd truck on...north and south main divide type of stuff. preferably north main divide with the silty loose gravely areas. more like the areas from the towers down to silverado, or the sections from the gates down to corona...not even so much like the first dirt section after the pavement....

something i could ride up the coast to monterey or out to DV...

im just not sure i am gonna heal up enough to ride the 530 to the level i like to ride it at, so im thinking about trying something completely different for a while...less tempting to try gnarly stuff if im on a gsa or Vs....

more ideas now?

i appreciate the input and concern so far...keep it coming...

bags..i have thought of a sport tourer like the ST or an fjr type bike...but the slightly forward riding position pushes my neck to bend slightly up and that is the painful spot...looking up at all...

so the vertical upright seating of an adv tourer relieves that neck position to a more comfortable spot...

keep it coming

I'll make this quick.......

For more challenging type riding and trails.........

Most capable of the large ADVbikes is the 950 Adventure........no, not just because I have one, but it is more capable than the 1200GS in rocky stuff, the 1200's cylinders get in the way of rocks and is more difficult to maneuver in tight spots....and it's rear brake constantly gets damaged by rocks...I know this, because I've ridden with Maddog Mike on many gnarly trails on the big bikes.

If you're sticking to easier stuff..........

Any of the ADVbikes will do for that.

1200GS is the most expensive.......and they do have their flaws.

Figured I should mention that the Wee-Strom 650 is very capable for touring, street and easy dirt roads.......I rode one in Alaska for 3900 miles in 11 days and liked the bike.

It has it's limitations when you get to rocky trails due to ground clearance.

OK- so you want a twin... adv capable

Small V strom is a good choice... their owners seem more fanatical than DL1000 guys; must be a good reason

The Capo, Elephant, Tiger, Buell, etc lead me to belive you are interested in taking the road less traveled on the bike less selected... like you don't want "run of the mill"... those bikes all fit that bill for sure.

The KTM adv, in addition to being your favorite color, is pretty capable in dirt as well as on the road... a bit pricey though, as will be most of the GS series, I would think.

How much are you getting for the 530 (if you don't mind me asking?)... it will play a part in your new bike

we have resident CLWs and there are search engines that will get you in touch with the right bike, even if it means a drive... and I'll go with you so you don't have to load an adv bike in the bike of your ridiculously tall truck with your ridiculously short ramp.

there was no innuendo there

so- on the small side: KLR650 (single cylinder but don't discount it for racking up miles) or the 620adv from KTM

on the big side- BMW 1200... but don't discount it for some rough (wide) trails

and tons in between

you went more obscure than I would for an adv bike... I want a dealer on as many corners as possible, if I'm going to be that far from home.

Looked at the Versys? Older Transalps? V Stroms were mentioned

Spend some time over on advrider.com too

I'll make this quick.......

For more challenging type riding and trails.........

Most capable of the large ADVbikes is the 950 Adventure........no, not just because I have one, but it is more capable than the 1200GS in rocky stuff, the 1200's cylinders get in the way of rocks and is more difficult to maneuver in tight spots....and it's rear brake constantly gets damaged by rocks...I know this, because I've ridden with Maddog Mike on many gnarly trails on the big bikes.

If you're sticking to easier stuff..........

Any of the ADVbikes will do for that.

1200GS is the most expensive.......and they do have their flaws.

I remember on the LER that Mike lost his brake again ...

A true story:

I rode my friend Roger's KTM 950 one Sunday and by Friday I had purchased one ...

Rad, you rode mine one Sunday at Ocotillo Wells after laying out Desert Dash routes, and by Saturday you had purchased one ... and came straight over to show it off!

post-123-057991000 1281387123_thumb.jpg

I remember on the LER that Mike lost his brake again ...

A true story:

I rode my friend Roger's KTM 950 one Sunday and by Friday I had purchased one ...

Rad, you rode mine one Sunday at Ocotillo Wells after laying out Desert Dash routes, and by Saturday you had purchased one ... and came straight over to show it off!

Yeah, and what better way to break in your new motorcycle, than finding it laying on it's side on the front lawn the next morning.... :o:lol::lol: (true story there).

HIJACK OFF....

you went more obscure than I would for an adv bike... I want a dealer on as many corners as possible, if I'm going to be that far from home.

Looked at the Versys? Older Transalps? V Stroms were mentioned

You'll find as many opinions about what Adventure Bike to ride, as you will for what tire to use :lol:

Slut, a dealer on as many corners as possible ? Hell, while adventure riding, most small towns you're lucky to find ANY dealer. I've had luck with calling around and having parts shipped overnight.....always keep a dealer's name you trust in your wallet.

kick my ass-good or kick my ass-bad?

a 950/990 is one of my favorite bikes and on the top of my list of DREAM bikes...

but...im only looking at about 6k ish for my 530 and i dont have any extra money to add to it...

so i am looking at an older 950 with kinda high mileage, or a really old gsa with really high mileage

or a Vstorm that is not that old and not too many miles...and if i went with a 650, i could get a really newer really low mile bike with alot of farkles...

i have always been a "bigger is better" guy...i know...small pecker right.. :unsure: over compensating...and all that...

the dl1000 sounds more appealing to me than a dl650 just based on my pecker size i guess.. :huh:

in my experience the bigger motors tend to be smoother and dont work as hard...so now im torn

the input is awesome and very appreciated...

the exotics sound cool and actually have decent price tags, but parts availability is a huge draw back for sure...but i do like the cool factor...must be a small pecker thing too :lol:

the Vstorm doesnt have alot of cool factor...no offense to Vstorm owners...but it is a great bike and the price is putting it at or near the top of my list...

as far as ADVrider for info...the different brand threads can make it polarizing for me...here people are all in one place, and less apt to denounce other models...except for me and im trying to learn that concept... :D

As in Inspire you to great things.

Just not single track.

the Vstorm doesnt have alot of cool factor...no offense to Vstorm owners...but it is a great bike and the price is putting it at or near the top of my list...

It's Strom, man, Strom. Wiki - The name V-Strom combines V referring to the bike's V engine configuration with the German word Strom, meaning stream or current. :)

The Strom substitutes fugly for cool. I've never ridden the 1000 but BS did on Kernan.....cuz he's THAT good. I did a 220 mile loop today on my 650 and remembered why I like it so much. I have minor farkling with one of the best being one tooth more on the CS sprocket....drops it about 300 RPM at freeway speeds. 5.8 gal tank and 50 mpg lasts longer than my backside.

holy crap...it is Vstrom not storm, im a tard, i have looked at those dozens of times and sat on them many times and i always thought it was storm....

so does anyone have experience on both a 650 and a 1000 and have any pros/cons list for both as a comparison?

that extra 40 pounds and 350cc has got to feel better on the hiway...no?

p.s. i dont think that the stroms are fugly, no more fugly than most other adv tourers. and its not that they are cool or not, i just love the euro bikes...but for the value of the stroms over other euros...they seem great

Except for my bad hip (I'm not kidding... I AM old enough to have a bad hip) the big stRom was a great highway bike. I geared down to improve the passing at sub-sonic speeds, and it MIGHT have popped better wheelies at that gearing too... if that sort of thing were tolerated...

I've never ridden the 650, but SanDiegoLand tells me he had both at one time... he KEPT the 650; if that is any sort of hint

The 1000 has twin tail pipes, vs a single for the 650... that and the engine are the only differences as far as I know... pretty much identical in every other way... Forks were a bit better on the 1000, and I think the 1000 had a better seat... there is a site...

www.stromtroopers.com I THINK... check it out... really ; the 650 guys are more fanatical than the 1000 guys... this is from a group that calls themsleves the "collective"... something about a borg and star trek or something.

I previously had a 996 cc sport bike... a HONDA VTR1000... LOVED the engine; the V stRom is a 996 cc V Twin too, and I expected similar power/torque... it wasn't even close. I was very disappointed; nowhere near as smooth either.

when jumping on the 1000, the back always pitched up on the take-offs. No matter how much I fiddled with the adjusters, I couldn't get it to stop doing that. I'm sure some people could, but not me... always landed front tire first, and then the back like a ton of bricks; maybe the 650 jumps better (not that that is what these bikes are about)

windshield buffeting is pretty bad on both bikes; lots of aftermarket screens are available... I actually cut holes in mine, dopped it DOWN, and angled it out... SDL probably has a taller one (he's a giant), and knowing him, a laminar lip, and assorted other anti-turbulent devices

other than that; and the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz factor, they are very solid bikes. Throw some bags on one, and go to Alaska (like Craig did).... ride out to Corral and ride Pine Valley to the SDAR trail (I know a wacko that did that.... just a little damage to the pipe)...

Good luck on your hunt... most people with an interest in the Strom say the same thing... "value"... you know... like Toyota Corolla... or a Honda Civic... damning with faint praise, I know

Good assessment Bob. Maybe Craig will chime in. The 1000 is reportedly "less smooth" than the 650 and like you said...more folks into the 650.

Always enjoy reading This Guy's Viewpoint and have one of his windshields on the 650.....clear air, no buffeting.

Keep in mind I have nowhere near the experience level of most here....especially with different bikes. I did ride an SV650 home and said "I bought the wrong bike".....loaded it up and drove back to the dealer. Bought the Strom.

I can say, with certainty, it's more comfortable than my Wide Glide was.

You know what I'm going to suggest don't you?........that's right, an inexpensive, fuel injected/reliable bike that can go....... ANYWHERE (Ha!).......

Lot's of reports out there about folks taking trips across Australia, up to Alaska, across the States on TAT, etc., etc.....

Heres a recent one about a 5 day/1,000 mile trip in Oregon: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601595

Sometimes less IS more......and you can find these bikes cheap (now) in the used market if you keep your eye on the prize.....

Snaildarter picked up a used/stock 08 for ~$3K last night......way to go Fred!.......

WR250R........word.......spread it......

You know what I'm going to suggest don't you?........that's right, an inexpensive, fuel injected/reliable bike that can go....... ANYWHERE (Ha!).......

Lot's of reports out there about folks taking trips across Australia, up to Alaska, across the States on TAT, etc., etc.....

JUST MY OPINION...........but to me, a 250 is not an Adventure Bike that I'd want to ride long distances whether in the dirt or on the highway, no matter what other people have done with them.

My 950 and Elefant work just fine and I'll take them almost anywhere !

JUST MY OPINION...........but to me, a 250 is not an Adventure Bike that I'd want to ride long distances whether in the dirt or on the highway, no matter what other people have done with them.

And what is the PERFECT in between that can do it all? XR650L, just throwing that out there.

Yep, and we're all entitled to an opinion........and in my opinion, why settle for "almost" when you can have "anywhere" (insert confused/blinking/laughing icon here)......sure, I won't be able to pimp along at 80mph behind a fairing or carry more crap than I should be trying to take anyway.......and that's fine......who cares.......but when you head into the hotel/bar/campsite I'll be dropping my soft bags and heading out to find the good sh*t along the way or at our destination(s)...... (insert smiling/winking icon here)

I've ridden lot's of hard stuff at Big Bear, Bass Lake, Mammoth, etc. on my "ADV" bike.......how cool is that??? (more smiling/laughing/winking icons here)......those trails aren't an option on a traditional ADV bike.......the cliff/ledge single track we rode in Mammoth on Monday would absolutely NOT be an option on a big bike......no sweat on the little WR250R.......yet it also purrs along on the pavement stretches thanks to the street bike engine/fuel injection :)