DigDug

Big Bike/Easy ride this weekend (Sun, 25 Jul)?

Well, I got the Great Pumpkin all running but it's too clean! I'm thinking about taking a big bike ride and poking around the back country. It's been a while since I've done the Fallbrook - Corona ride, so that sounds like one likely option. Weather guessers call for 85-90 degrees in town, hopefully a few degrees cooler up on the mountains. Sunday seems more likely for me right now, but we'll see what happens by then.

Anybody interested?

--------------------UPDATE 23 Jul, 1:43pm------------------------

Ok, it looks like I've got one other guy from work as well as WingNut here that might be interested, so I'll call it a go so the lurkers can decide. Let's plan on meeting at Carl's Jr in Fallbrook at 8am on Sunday, 25 Jul and riding shortly afterwards. Gas up there and we'll hit DeLuz Rd (fun street, lots of turns) up to Tenaja Truck Trail (dirt), up Margarita Peak (dirt) to the back gate of Pendleton, then back down and over the National Forest Road, past Wildomar OHV area (still closed I think), South Main Divide to Ortega Highway and to Hell's Kitchen for lunch. Depending on pace, we might be a little early for lunch, but their website shows them open all day Saturday. Early is probably good to since they can be a little slow on a busy weekend with the cruiser/sportbike crowd off Ortega Highway.

From there hit North Main Divide Road (all dirt) (the National Forest Website shows it open) as far as we feel like it before looping back. You can go all the way into Corona for gas or cut down on a few other side trails as we see how the day goes.

I'll be on the 950, so it won't be a blasting pace. The roads are pretty much easy fire-roads, so this is appropriate for big bikes and/or noobs. Great views, and MILES AND MILES of fun roads! Gas up in Fallbrook and the next gas will be when we come down off the mountain after lunch (80-90 miles if we go all the way), but there are bailouts if needed. I'll try and get some GPS tracks cut/pasted and posted before Sunday for people to load.

If we do the whole thing into Corona, then back in the dirt, it's an all-day affair (especially for you south county riders that have to get back down there from Fallbrook).

Ok, I've done the planning and made the call on date/time..

Who's in???

--------------------UPDATE 24 Jul, 10:00am------------------------

GPS file for the ride is HERE

It looks like about 50 miles to lunch at Hell's Kitchen then another 40 over to Corona if we go all the way. There's a gate at the bottom of Skyline TT that's sometimes locked (something about having to buy a key from the Riverside County sheriff's department). If so, we'll have to backtrack about 25 miles to Bedford TT for gas. So if we have riders with less than 115 miles of range (going all the way to the gate, then backtracking), no big deal, we'll just drop on Bedford to get gas rather than risk the gate being closed.

See everyone tomorrow!

Maybe if I can get my front brake working. Any possibility of doing it tomorrow (Friday) or is this a Sat/Sun adventure? What's the dirt/street ratio?

Wish I could go too but I have work that I need to do sat/sun. I was just looking at that route on the maps the other day. Sounds like fun.

......hopefully a few degrees cooler up on the mountains.......Anybody interested?

Looks like I'm going up to work the BBTR night ride.....consider THAT option ;):lol:

Maybe if I can get my front brake working. Any possibility of doing it tomorrow (Friday) or is this a Sat/Sun adventure? What's the dirt/street ratio?

Friday's a work day for me. I've taken too much time off work over the past month already. :lol:

If we decide on the Fallbrook ride, I'll have to paste some tracks together and see what we get. Off the top of my head, it's about 30/70 (dirt/street) to lunch (with a good chunk of that roughly paved, windy, fun fire roads) and 95/5 (dirt/street) after lunch (unless we wind up running late/getting tired and come back on pavement).

Looks like I'm going up to work the BBTR night ride.....consider THAT option ;):)

You're an animal! I wanted to keep it to one day, plus avoid the costs(motel, etc). I've got a top end to pay for daddy-o!

I have knobbies on the XR, so if you plan on riding more dirt than pavement I'm in for Sunday. I have to watch my son Saturday while my wife goes out with some friends, but I'd like to check out the area from Deluz to Ortega. I've ridden the North Main Divide road about a month ago from his house in Lake Forest.

I've got a top end to pay for daddy-o!

Wishful thinking ;)

Let me rephrase.... AT LEAST a top end.

I'm actually toying with just taking the motor out and dropping the whole thing off. I don't mind doing a top end, but I don't want to get into the bottom end and I'm afraid it might need it - too many special tools and things for me to screw up! ;)

I'm actually toying with just taking the motor out and dropping the whole thing off. I don't mind doing a top end, but I don't want to get into the bottom end and I'm afraid it might need it - too many special tools and things for me to screw up! ;)

whats wrong with you bike?

whats wrong with you bike?

The 450 is getting up over 9,000 miles (hard miles), intake valves were at the edge of adjustment and it's getting hard to start. Time for a top end at least...

But that DOES Give me an excuse to throw the 570 kit on it! ;)

Hello, I Highly recommend Alan Fox engine works in Alpine, he is a good guy with years of experience and racing etc., you can trust him, he do's all the work himself and can do all mods. 619-445-1415, his wife will probably answer so he can get work done, if you let him do the work you will be a happy boy.

See Ya.

Call me if you have questions or need a testimonial.

Ok, a guy from work wants to ride, so I'm going to make the call. Sunday, 8am at the Carl's Jr in Fallbrook.

First post updated with the info, GPS tracks to follow...

Ok, a guy from work wants to ride, so I'm going to make the call. Sunday, 8am at the Carl's Jr in Fallbrook.

First post updated with the info, GPS tracks to follow...

Yeah Like I’m gonna know where the Carl’s Junior in Fallbrook is. I just put the stock tires back on the 990, do you think they will be able to stay on these roads?

Yeah Like I’m gonna know where the Carl’s Junior in Fallbrook is. I just put the stock tires back on the 990, do you think they will be able to stay on these roads?

Click on the link in the first post to open a google map of the location...

Or CLICK HERE if that's too hard! :lol:

*grumble about kids these days wanting someone else to do the work for them*

Your tires will be fine... Fire roads, a few rocks, but nothing extreme...

Come on along Roger, it should be a great ride!

I might be up for such a spin. Got a tournament tomorrow. I'll see how tired I am from that. Don't relish being on the lake at 5 Aye Em. :lol:

I might be up for such a spin. Got a tournament tomorrow. I'll see how tired I am from that. Don't relish being on the lake at 5 Aye Em. :lol:

GET PICTURES!!!! (of dirt dame up at 5am.. no wait!! at the LAKE AT 5 AM!!! ) :)

Come on along.. it'll be a good group...

First post updated with GPS file and mileages.

GET PICTURES!!!! (of dirt dame up at 5am.. no wait!! at the LAKE AT 5 AM!!! ) :lol:

Come on along.. it'll be a good group...

fish all gathering in a section of lake... "what's that over there? Looks like a drool puddle... go check it out"

:lazy:

the secret of her angling success is discovered :)

fish all gathering in a section of lake... "what's that over there? Looks like a drool puddle... go check it out"

:lol:

the secret of her angling success is discovered :)

That joke just keeps getting funnier and funnier (to you anyway :lol: ). It takes something other than drool to take the championship. :lazy:

100_3461.jpg

I saw your facebook post- congrats

As a failure of a fisherman, I know its not just luck

Good job-

And yes- I AM easily amused

If anyone wants (I know it's a bit of a haul if you're coming from south county), we're going to meet up at about 7:30 for breakfast at Carl's before the ride if anyone is interested...

:lazy:

the secret of her angling success is discovered :huh:

That joke just keeps getting funnier and funnier (to you anyway :) ). It takes something other than drool to take the championship. B)

100_3461.jpg

nice, you must have caught lots of 5lbers. haha.

wheres the pics of your fishies?