sandiegoland

4th Annual Desert Dash - February 2007

I vote Pyro rider of the 07 Dash!! He is an amazing rider, and rides his KLR 650 like a 250 two stroke moto-crosser, super fast, jumping, and taking in the sand like nothing.. at the same time, he is super helpful to the rest of the guys, maintains a positive attitude all the time, and is a good sport!! My hats off for Pyro.. It was great riding with you Pyro! I think you are Dakar or Baja 1000 material... :D

Speaking of Pyro, where is that video dude. I am looking forward to seeing it. Ken

Ok, where was I? :blink::D

Oh yah, Randy was waiving riders around us near Ocotillo.

Posted Image

Another unscheduled beverage break. Of course in the middle of the road.

Posted Image

After this last break I suggested we go back to camp and make repairs. This was the shake down run for Grandpa CJ and some issues were found. So we gassed up and took pavement back.

Back at camp Randy gave us some great food, cooked by some the Airheads club, them had a raffle for all who attended.

Posted Image

There was even stuff for future dual sport riders. Nice gear! B)

Posted Image

Randy & Rideorange did a great job with the raffle. And "Thanks" to the companies who donated and Randy for buying gear for the raffle.

Posted Image

After Saturdays raffle and dinner it was time for a bonfire. Here is Chief guns telling Pyro how to light a fire with gun powder. Randy in the backround.

Posted Image

Walking around I noticed some of the Sweep#1 with new colors.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just a few more ;););)

The reason for bringing the CJ2A was for Randy. Thursday I sprained my ankle and did not ride Saturdays ride and piloted the Jeep with Randy. Sunday I was much better and rode sweep with RO. Going up Pinion I noticed alot of riders had fun on the sandy incline to the squeeze. When we got to the drop off, AKA Heart attack hill, we stopped to pick a line down. Doing this a rider comes up slowes a little and goes down, I thought ,Hummmm. Then///

Posted Image

He pick's the bike up and says, "I guess I was kinda cocky." Then rides on.

Posted Image

RO starting down the Drop off with Mad Mike watching.

Posted Image

A few more tomorrow. :D

Thanks to all who helped make this weekend happen! I had a great time. Would of liked to meet some more of you, but have to save something for next time. Was with a great group Boz, Joaquin, Pyro, Husky4me and a guy on a Ktm(forgot name)! Getting lost for the fourth and fifth time sucked! Thanks to SDland for finding us in the wash and leading us home.

Will some one please tell me what was the secret with that pork? Best pig I have ever eaten in my life. Cudos to the cooks, the entire meal was great. (but seriously I need that recipe). Ken

Man, some great photos being posted !!

For many of you from SDAR, this was your first organized dualsport event. Now you know how much fun they are, and we need to get a crowd from SDAR to attend other dualsport rides, and also I want SDAR to put on more events. Next year, I'm thinking one or two events in the Sierra Nevada mountains, which will be even more work since it's a few hours away, but I'm willing to try at least one. Have to start the planning and permit process this year, including charting the routes and prerunning trails.

Keep those pix comin' !!

I want to say thanks to all the riders who attended the ride, making it a successful event.

I also want to give a big THANKS to everyone who helped out this year. The sweep crews and all the help will be a little more organized next ride, since you saw how it all works. Also, the sweep crew will know the course next time if they help prerun and layout the course........that wasn't able to happen this year because we pretty much kept the route the same due to my fractured foot and you guys didn't have a chance to prerun it all.

Thanks to the Help Crew:

Ride Orange - Rob, his wife Debbie, and daughter Courtney

Carguy - John.....bringing your Jeep out worked out great, and was greatly appreciated !!

Marbee40 - Jim (glad I got to know you before you move to Alaska)

SandiegoLand - Craig

John Penrose - who better sign up with a nickname on this site :blink:

Toona - Shane

Jeff Hearns - also needs to sign up here ;)

Chief Gunner - Aaron

Mad Dog Mike Miani

Pyro - Troy

Uncle Cameron - all the stuff he does behind the scenes with the website and for this ride.

And thanks to the others who joined the sweep crew on the day of the ride - Barry, RWynant, PapaAlex.

Thanks to those who showed up to help prerun, and thanks to Toona's friend who let me ride his Quad after I fractured my foot, so we could finish the rollchart mileages on 2 weekends.

The Chefs / Caterers did a great job for the 3rd year in a row:

Kelly and Kevin, who I've known a long time from the Airheads BMW Club.

Also Jim Bos's S.O. Di, who helped Kelly and Kevin.

Thanks to The staff at Butterfield Ranch - they were great.

Thanks to Julie Angell for picking up the reprinted rollcharts and bringing them from Riverside, and also those awesome brownies that she's famous for :D

And a HUGE THANKS to all the motorcycle shops that contributed merchandise to raffle away after the dinner.

If I'm forgetting someone, let me know.

DESERT DASH 2007 WAS AWESOME !!!

Thanks Randy for putting on such a great event! I had a fantastic time riding with all you guys! It was fun to finaly meet some of you, and to catch up with you guys that I haven't seen for a while. The weather could not have been better and the routes were awesome. It all added up for a really great weekend!

I have some pretty good pyroCAM footage from the trip, mostly from the first couple sections on saturday morning. I'll post the movies soon. Until then, RIDE ON AMIGOS !

Here's a few pics of tntmo, crazy10toes and drcrazy. I wish I would have taken more but we didn't stop too often except for crazy10toes filling up his tires and losing his GPS about a hundred times. :blink:

Those are some weird night pics. It looks like the RV is on fire or we were hit by lightning. I never used that camera at night and guess I need to keep more still or something.

I gotta tell ya, it was a long ride on Saturday putting in about 180 miles. We were beat and I(drcrazy with the black DRZ400S) learned that I need to get in shape. Apparently some people, I won't mention their names, think I'm fat. Well, duh. I have a great relationship with beer, you know.

All three of us fell but I fell the most. Actually I only tipped over about 5 times because I'm a shorty and need to lower my bike. My right leg was slammed into the ground and awoke an old ski injury and that put me out for Sunday's ride.

Thanks tntmo and crazy10toes for putting up with my crankiness for the weekend. I promise I'll be nicer next time. :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awesome ride! I thought I had done a lot of desert riding but a lot of this was new to me. I met a lot of people and had a great time. I forgot my camera at home, but the memories will last as long as any photos. I will be back to ride more of this with my friends/family and for the next Desert Dash.

Joliet, thanks for the skidplate. I owe you a beverage of choice and then some!

Here's a few pics of tntmo, crazy10toes and drcrazy. I wish I would have taken more but we didn't stop too often except for crazy10toes filling up his tires and losing his GPS about a hundred times. :D

Those are some weird night pics. It looks like the RV is on fire or we were hit by lightning. I never used that camera at night and guess I need to keep more still or something.

I gotta tell ya, it was a long ride on Saturday putting in about 180 miles. We were beat and I(drcrazy with the black DRZ400S) learned that I need to get in shape. Apparently some people, I won't mention their names, think I'm fat. Well, duh. I have a great relationship with beer, you know.

All three of us fell but I fell the most. Actually I only tipped over about 5 times because I'm a shorty and need to lower my bike. My right leg was slammed into the ground and awoke an old ski injury and that put me out for Sunday's ride.

Thanks tntmo and crazy10toes for putting up with my crankiness for the weekend. I promise I'll be nicer next time. :blink:

Posted Image

You know I was only Josh'n ya Chris ;) . For someone to keep up in the deep sand & woops like you did, cheers to you kid. Anyway, this is where we where lost after the landfill trail and my disfunctoional GPS including my boyscout intuition helped locate San Felipe Wash. ;)

Here's my bike all loaded up for the trip friday morning.

Posted Image

We left off with RO on The Drop off. As he mentioned earlier he waited until the bottom before getting fancy.

You can see it comming.

Posted Image

Then,

Posted Image

From there it was into Split Mountain where we talked to a nice Ranger.

Posted Image

Julie & gang, Thanks for the brownies :D

Posted Image

RO, Julie & I at some rock formation do-hicky

Posted Image

After exploring some washes near San Felipe wash we Stopped in Borrego for lunch. There we picked up Sdland & 650lbum to help finish the sweep.

Posted Image

It looked like we found the rest of the riders as well

Posted Image

From there we tried Grapevine but it was closed from a motorcycle sportbike fatality. So we had to double back to 78 to Rodriguez then back to camp. I loaded up and got home about 7pm. Had a awesome weekend, the people at Butterfield were great. Great friends and good times. Thanks everyone! :blink:

Thanks for all the props guys! It was a blast doing it all on two wheels. A true Dual-Sport Adventure!

I vote Pyro rider of the 07 Dash!! He is an amazing rider, and rides his KLR 650 like a 250 two stroke moto-crosser, super fast, jumping, and taking in the sand like nothing.. at the same time, he is super helpful to the rest of the guys, maintains a positive attitude all the time, and is a good sport!! My hats off for Pyro.. It was great riding with you Pyro! I think you are Dakar or Baja 1000 material... ;)

I agree 100%! Pyro's attitude is awesome, even after I got us thoroughly lost for the second or third time. Although it's certainly easier to get a group concensus when everyone has a roll-chart. Now that Pyro has one we can all follow him & feel embarassed for being spanked by a KLR. I'm not even sure if Pyro humored us with a get-off anywhere? If so I never saw it.

I'd also like to say how reassuring it was to have you guys along when I ate it in that wash, I thought that was going to end with bones sticking out. I'm certain it made da bum feel better. It was all for you baby!

And Martin, don't feel bad about being sore. I could barely load my bike Sunday AM. My ribs only hurt when I laugh & sneeze. Or try & pick something up.

It was great riding with you guys. Sure wish Joaquin could have stayed for the whole ride. And thanks to all of you for not blowing a gasket when I screwed up with our navigation. I promise to do a better job next time & hope to have a GPS by then too. I think I need to change my handle to WrongWayBos. Oh well, we were contenders for the High Mileage Award! At least until I spoke to Mad Mike who rode to Ramona part way through the ride & returned to camp 25 minutes after us! Finishing the ride after the ribbons had been pulled & in the dark!

I'm certain it made da bum feel better. It was all for you baby!

Watching an old man trying to break his neck does nothing for me. Good effort though! I thought you had hit some of that unexploded ordinance with the dust cloud you made! When you have heeled give me shout and you can show me how you do that again. Nice meeting you!

Randy,

My son Jeremy and I had a great time.

Very professionally run event.

Next time more whoops?

Rick Felden

That worked ok I guess.... That pic was the "Hammer" blowing by the Jeep on Sunday. Here are some more I took on Saturday and Sunday.....THANKS TO RANDY AND THE REST OF YOU ALL FOR A GREAT AND VERY MEMORABLE TIME! It was way cool to meet some of you face to face for the first time. Sorry it took so long for me to get these posted, home computer is now fixed!

post-153-1172793267_thumb.jpg

post-153-1172793299_thumb.jpg

post-153-1172793321_thumb.jpg

post-153-1172793374_thumb.jpg

post-153-1172793403_thumb.jpg

post-153-1172793429_thumb.jpg

post-153-1172793456_thumb.jpg

post-153-1172793481_thumb.jpg

post-153-1172793504_thumb.jpg

post-153-1172793552_thumb.jpg

post-153-1172793580_thumb.jpg

post-153-1172793622_thumb.jpg

My wife and I rode over to meet some of you at the Blu In on Sat. Great meeting Cameron and Jessica. Hope to ride or camp with you all soon. Thanks to all those responsible for the event. Cant wait to go a few rides with you all after getting some seat time on the new bike.

Rick and Sue

Oh and although I just met Jim, wish he would stick around longer. Hope it works out for you in Alaska

Posted Image

Posted Image

My Sweep Team 2 riding partner, carguy, coming through The Squeeze. I commented to him that I thought The Squeeze was over-rated, and he reminded me "...not if you're in a full size truck!" Good point!

Posted Image

When I went through the Squeeze there were 3 Jeep's trying to get through.

The first one kept rubbing his rims on the right side and had to back out.

The other 2 got through with an inch or two to spare.

I got a call from a District 37 AMA club officer, Kieth. He said a rider who rode our Desert Dash gave us high compliments, said it was the people involved and the type of ride that makes riders want to keep coming back.

I want to thank all of you who helped out for making this a successful event, and for representing SDAR.

Can't wait to get started on DD2008. :angry:

Can't wait to get started on DD2008. :D

Well, my foot is feeling a lot better, probably not completely healed yet, but I think an easy ride will be in order soon. I'll keep you posted.

Soon, it will be time to get out to the desert to explore and GPS new routes for next year !!