KTMrad

Your Personal Bike Photos

I've got some oldy but moldy pitchurs. If I can ever figure out how to use my computer and scanner, maybe I'll just have to post a few, and maybe some new ones too, now that I have this digital camera I keep going on and on about but never seem to use :unsure:

Ever Changing Swine......You can take the pig out of the mud and clean it up but it's still a PIG ;)

The true sign that this ugly SOB is ridden in the dirt is to look at the frame tubes (the Y) right behind the crank case saver....wear spots from the boots sliding up and down while bouncing through the trails & washes and the occasional jump or two :D

131-3121_IMG.jpg

My current ride, a depature from the thumpers. Going where no Strom with Trailwings belongs, into Canyon Sin Nombre's sandy bottom.

post-2136-1197129718_thumb.jpg

I wanted to share my XR600 with ya guys on here as she is all done now thanks for the guys helping me with a few problems. I want to go out on the next ride with SDAR so if someone wants to take a cruise after the rains send me a message. Have a good weekend.

fred

post-2812-1197163617_thumb.jpg

That's about 3x nicer than the beater I had of the same model :) Had a lot of fun on it, smoked like a train, and whole rear brake assembly was long gone, seat bungied in place, etc. Anyone still got an old TT/XT to match the era?

I wanted to share my XR600 with ya guys on here as she is all done now thanks for the guys helping me with a few problems. I want to go out on the next ride with SDAR so if someone wants to take a cruise after the rains send me a message. Have a good weekend.

fred

Nice! glad you got her ready for a flogging......Don't let Hammer see that Oange Honda.....He might snap! <_<:D:D

A guy at work picked up a new R6 so he sold me his 98 Yamaha YZF600R for a deal I couldn't pass up. It should make a pretty decent commuter and canyon carver. I don't care for the Oakland Raiders color scheme but besides that it's a fun ride. Tree....I might hit you up for some powder coating.

gs500099-1.jpg

gs500100.jpg

Ok, here's my newest bike:

Pretty and only a touch of orange. How come you girls always have the pretty (fast) bikes? I'll have to ask dirt dame that when she finally quits laughing at ragamuffin.

Now you need to post a photo with some mud on it. :D

It's been hard to find old photos of my very first motorcycle( a 1970 Yamaha HT1 90cc trail bike) that were of good enough quality to duplicate. Too grainy and blurry, so....I found a photo of my very first race bike; a 1973 DKW RT159 Super 125cc, which I later put lights on and plated for the street after I got my next race bike. So here is a blurry photo of "The Little Wonder" when it was brand new. Steel everything; number plates, gas tank, fenders and rims. The bike had as much chrome on it as some custom Harleys. :o It probably weighed as much as my TE450 :o and had a set of sixteen inch Boge shock absorbers on the leading link front end, which was also made out of steel. :o It also boasted the famous Sachs motor which featured a six speed transmission with about seven neutrals :o:):) .

Cripes, I wish I still had the li'l guy. :(

2-24-200834743PM.jpg

Note the desert rat favorite split-glass pilot goggles....

I don't know if that's my lower lip or my tongue sticking out :P

I found some more good quality photographs, so here is some more Dirt Dame bike history....

2-25-200871421PM.jpg

The little ugly Deekling after a bit of hard use in District 38 motocross, minus the up pipe, chrome tank and front fender, also probably the steel rims by this time. This shot looks like it was at Dehesa Raceway.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

The next shot is of a rather rare Maico. It is a 1973 Maico 125cc MX model, featuring a five speed gear box(the previous ones had four speed gear boxes). It had the same goofy "pine cone" transmission with the ball and plunger/ratcheting shifter key arrangement as the Sachs motor but always shifted really well. It featured a rotary valve intake, so you can see in the photo that there is a snorkel running from the air box to the side case and the top of the carb and throttle cable is sticking up next to the base of the cylinder.

The machine originally came with standard shocks and a down pipe, but the owner before me cut the frame, moved up the shocks and handbuilt the aluminum air box. He also hand built the up pipe for the machine and cut the rotary valve, so that the little bike just screamed, no matter where it was in the rpm range. The ignition was a standard "points" ignition, housed behind a vented cover. I had to goop the durned thing up with tons of silicone to keep the points clean and free of water.

One thing that the previous owner didn't do was fix the awful thin mushy saddle on the bike. I built a new seat, using the original base and modifying some Japanese MX seat foam to fit and then designing a cover and having the pieces sewn together by a local shoe repairman. I installed all to make a trick and thick factory looking race saddle.

People always used to say the phrase "Maico Breako" but my little Maico was very reliable and handled better than anything else out there. Another machine I should have kept :D

2-25-200871704PM.jpg

What a dorky looking brake pedal :D

_________________________________________________________________________________________

And finally what do you do with your 1975 Bultaco Pursang 250 when you want to race the Viewfinders Grandprix but you don't want to have to make a pit stop for fuel? You take your larger capacity tank off of your 360 Bultaco Frontera enduro and slap it onto your MX bike, tool kit and all. :D

2-25-200872304PM.jpg

The back straight of the GP(not the MX track) course at Carlsbad.

Notice...all these European bikes kick started on the "wrong" side, and none of them had "primary kick", so if you crashed or stalled, you had to find neutral before you could kick the beasties and start them. No pulling in the clutch and stomping away :D

So....I do have a little too much time on my hands and I managed to dig up a bunch of old motorcycle pictures; many that were usably sharp. Here is an incomplete rundown of some of the many bikes I have had over the years, starting with:

2-26-2008100953AM.jpg

my 1970 Yamaha HT1 90cc trailbike complete with accessory German Shepherd.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

2-26-200895848AM.jpg

1974 CR125 Elsinore at Village Park MX track in Encinitas.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

2-26-200895403AM.jpg

1979 KX250. Remember Fox Air Shox? This shot taken early in the morning before the pits filled up, at the ABC Wide World of Sports Womens World MX Championship at Carlsbad raceway in 1980. I trophied in the sportswoman class

2-26-2008100036AM.jpg

1981 KX/KDX hybrid. I rode this one in my first and only enduro event in Mexico. What a fun time in the Gringo 100, plus I got a trophy :D The bike was plated for street.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

2-26-2008100322AM.jpg

1986 KX250 which would later receive the complete enduro make-over with speedo, dez tank, flywheel and lights. This shot looks like it was from a Plaster City enduro. Sure seems like I could touch the ground flat footed in those days. Wish I could still do it now. :D

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

2-26-2008101134AM.jpg

1980 Montesa Cota 349. My first trials bike. :D It was sort of a dawg, even for a trial machine.

2-26-2008100529AM.jpg

1985 TY 350. Also had a 1986 Beta TR33, but don't seem to have any pictures of it. The Beta was the best.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

2-26-2008101327AM.jpg

Also rode plenty of pavement. Here is an awful machine; a 1976 Kawasaki KZ750 B1 twin. What a lump. The only thing it was good at was bein' cheap. Oh, and leaking oil from the head gasket. :D

______________________________________________________________________________________________

2-26-2008101812AM.jpg

1982 Kawasaki KZ750 E2. What a nice machine, and handled great.

2-26-2008101505AM.jpg

1984 GPZ550. Cute li'l sport bike.

I also had a 1985 ZX600 also known as a Ninja. pretty darn fast and not the top handler of its day.

2-26-2008101953AM.jpg

1989 FZR600. Yeah, it really handled and went like a jet. I was considering taking it to Willow Springs, but somehow never made it.

2-26-2008101632AM.jpg

1990 XLH 883 Sportster. Classic look-at-me cruiser. Actually didn't handle too bad in the twisties and I rode it on fire roads as well. Was way too slow. Shook my rear end half to death. This shot was taken at Terrace Falls park, Olympia Washington.

I would estimate that I have owned over 30 dirt bikes over the the years and at least 10 street bikes.

I could have been doing something important like buying real estate or something, but no, I had to ride everything I could get my hands on that had two wheels and a motor instead. :D:D:D

I grew up in Encinitas and though I did not ride as a kid, I remember the track out in Village Park.

I'm sure you rode the pits in Olivenhain?

Makes me go back in time and remember Encinitas in the good old days :D ....Thanks

Ron

I grew up in Encinitas and though I did not ride as a kid, I remember the track out in Village Park.

I'm sure you rode the pits in Olivenhain?

Makes me go back in time and remember Encinitas in the good old days :D ....Thanks

Ron

Yeah, that picture of the Yamaha 90 is on my driveway in front of Lake Val Sereno. Lone Jack Road is just across the other side of the lake and The Pits too, less than a mile from my house. I spent a lot of time putting around The Pits, the mesa and all that area that used to be open between Olivenhein and Escondido. I used to ride between Rancho Santa Fe and Poway, too. Those certainly were the golden days of motorcycling, especially for off-road. :D

:D Hey, do you remember a place behind Leucadia offroaders called Golf Ball hill? :D

post-163-1204090766_thumb.jpg

This picture was taken in 1972. I was 17 years old and weighed in at a mere 106 pounds! Sure wish I still had some of that hair!!!!!!! This was my second bike, a 1968 360 Maico. We spent a lot of time in the Riverside and Redrock area.

-The Doc.

I was 17 years old and weighed in at a mere 106 pounds! Sure wish I still had some of that hair!!!!!!! This was my second bike, a 1968 360 Maico. We spent a lot of time in the Riverside and Redrock area.

-The Doc.

Gee Doc, are you sure that's all you weighed :o ? Seems like I weighed more than that in 1972. I was sixteen and was racing my very first grand prix.

2-27-200863846AM.jpg

This was the real deal, in the days when you could entire a premier event for about 20 bucks. :o And the program book only cost 75 cents. :D

2-27-200864633AM.jpg

What a beautiful sight! Over 2000 dirt bikes in the impound area, ready to go!

Didn't have a photo from the GP, so here's an artists rendering of me racing Powder Puff class GP :D(Well. actually it's an artists rendering of me riding A.C.A. motocross....but just pretend it's the GP)

3-4-200831921PM.jpg

Yeah, I was running a Hooker pipe. :P (yeah, I was the artist)

Barfy F6 festooned with all its' street gear, parked somewhere in Spooks Canyon.

3-3-200872538PM.jpg

I had a really wretched Kawasaki F6 125cc enduro, as heavy and evil handling as they come, but I didn't care! What a historical event. I saw it on "On Any Sunday" and I was determined to give it a go. I managed to DNF :D:lol::lol: but I had lots of fun with my racing buddies and my mom who drove me up there and camped and spectated. I vowed to come back another year with a real race bike and do it again, only this time, finish as well. Sadly the event wasn't held for many years after the 5th(and last)Annual one. It resurfaced in the 1990s but wasn't the same. I rode it in 2003 on my KLX(riding yet another non-racing bike :D )and finished, but it just couldn't hold a candle to the old race. ;)

2-27-200885258AM.jpg

KLX before it was worth anything (pre-street legal) Yes, I admit I am not jumpin' a jump that's there in this shot :good: But I got second place and a finisher pin. Who cares if there were only three people in my class? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'll tell you MIMI how I remembered My weight that year :lol: In 1972 I wrestled 106 and took 2nd place in CIF :good: My first and last year I wrestled. I must say I am always impressed with all the bikes you have owned :D and your write ups and pictures are enjoyed by the whole family. Have a great day and maybe someday soon I'll see you on the trail. The Doc.

It's been hard to find old photos of my very first motorcycle( a 1970 Yamaha HT1 90cc trail bike) that were of good enough quality to duplicate. Too grainy and blurry, so....I found a photo of my very first race bike; a 1973 DKW RT159 Super 125cc, which I later put lights on and plated for the street after I got my next race bike. So here is a blurry photo of "The Little Wonder" when it was brand new. Steel everything; number plates, gas tank, fenders and rims. The bike had as much chrome on it as some custom Harleys. :o It probably weighed as much as my TE450 :P and had a set of sixteen inch Boge shock absorbers on the leading link front end, which was also made out of steel. :P It also boasted the famous Sachs motor which featured a six speed transmission with about seven neutrals :):P:P .

Cripes, I wish I still had the li'l guy. :(

2-24-200834743PM.jpg

Note the desert rat favorite split-glass pilot goggles....

I don't know if that's my lower lip or my tongue sticking out :P

I remember that one I called mine a D K Troubleyou

It would be the D K Troubleyou racing against the ugly Deekling :o:P:):P:P both in thirteenth gear :P

I remember once, that the main bearings were worn out and so were the main seals. The bike smoked like H-E double toothpicks and dumped premix into the points ignition. I didn't have the money to fix it, so while I saved up the dough, I just kept racing it. What the heck; it started up, idled and ran, so I ran it. I just had to pull the ignition cover after each race to dump the gas out. :(

Some pix from my racing days......

First on a FZR400 Yamaha in the 500cc class

259723135_MCk8y-M.jpg

259723179_gRPws-M.jpg

259723297_48G6m-M.jpg

Here I'm passing on the outside....I used to love doing that in Turn 3 at Willow Springs, this might be Turn 2 at Willow

259723326_UdgZH-M.jpg

After selling the FZR400 and taking a year off racing, a friend asked if I wanted to buy his GS500 Suzuki racebike....when he said $1100, I couldn't resist. That bike was great fun, and it still sits in my garage, not having been used in about 6 years.....man, I miss racing !! One of these days..........

259723427_wyKvc-M-0.jpg

The GS500 was so much fun, because I had to hold the throttle wide open with minimal braking around the track, to carry the corner speed and try to keep up with and catch the faster bikes, like the FZR400's and EX500's. Great fun, there's nothing like Roadracing !!