Strega

Building a work bench...

I'm going to build a work bench in my garage. I've built many many things in the past, but never a work bench.

Has anyone ever done this before? I'd like to get some tips and tricks before I start this project. I know what I want to do with the work area, overhead cabinets, etc, would just like some advice if you've done this before for things I may have not thought about.

Screws vs nails, angle brackets, heavy duty enough to hold a drill press, vice, etc etc.

Any advice would be appreciated. I know it's kinda vague, but I haven't drawn up any plans yet.

Thanks!

I'm going to build a work bench in my garage. I've built many many things in the past, but never a work bench.

Has anyone ever done this before? I'd like to get some tips and tricks before I start this project. I know what I want to do with the work area, overhead cabinets, etc, would just like some advice if you've done this before for things I may have not thought about.

Screws vs nails, angle brackets, heavy duty enough to hold a drill press, vice, etc etc.

Any advice would be appreciated. I know it's kinda vague, but I haven't drawn up any plans yet.

Thanks!

Be sure to have a little overhang on the counter where the vise in mounted. Makes life much easier when holding odd-ly shaped things, like forks or frames. Use galvanized steel for the top. It also allows using a work stool- you can get your knees under the work surface.

If you want to get fancy-schmancy, put it on locking casters. If you don't, tie it to the wall for extra sturdy.

If you use cabinets overhead, mount them high off the countertop, and put lights underneath for plenty of lighting and headroom. Use a LONG outlet strip- the kind used for server racks. You'll never use that many outlets, but placement is important. If you can, connect the power strip to a dedicated 20a circuit.

Check out www.garagejournal.com for everything garage related.

Plug in the refrigerator...load. I prefer Edna Valley wine but it's your garage so make the call.

Lowe's base cabinets x the width of the bench top minus 4 inches. 3/4 exterior A/C plywood cut to overhang the front a few inches for clamps. Rip a 4 to 6 inch backsplash the length of the bench top. Screws definitely over nails, and pre-drill before screwing back to top. Counter sink holes in bench top and screw to base cabinets.

Did you remember to open the refrigerator??

Seal the cabinets and bench top with spar varnish, water based these days.

Edit: Tack 3/4" wood trim to edge of plywood for nice finish look.

Leave space for an undercounter refer that is 15" wide by 20" tall...leave the. Back open so the compressor can breathe...

And come pick up this refer!

Leave space for an undercounter refer that is 15" wide by 20" tall...leave the. Back open so the compressor can breathe...

And come pick up this refer!

When is a good time?

Trophy, smokin deal but not what I need unfortunately. It's gotta be a custom build. =\

I have an under-the-counter reefer, too if anybody wants one. No charge to SDAR contributing members. It's woodgrain, too!

No, not THAT reefer.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores...uctId=100203714

we use these and then a seperate bench with a drawer and a tool box with most of the tools and then we have found the peg boards really help on the walls to hang just about anything.

these shelves come in sections about half that hight and you can customize them however you want and with a thick slab of wood or whatever you prefer on top they are really strong. and if you ever need to change the setup of your garage or need more they can be taken apart and put up a different way.

as for fasteners it is best to use screws as they grip wood better then nails. if you want to come see what weve done to get some ideas going let me know. its a little messy but may give you some ideas of what to do or not do.

I made one at my last house using 1.5" angle steel, and mitered the corners at work with a cold saw. I screwed it to the wall using 3.5" lag screws and welded it together after I mounted it to the walls. I used a kitchen counter top I got at home depot from the clearance bin for the top. The thing was super sturdy and only cost me around $100 to build. Here's a pic I took before we put the top on.

post-14064-1275618115_thumb.jpg

I hope this doesn't turn into a thread of garage work bench photos, if it does my image is doomed. :lol:

Well now you're going to make those of us with the "old" style benches/garages feel bad.....sounds like a fun project . (hmmmm new bench and garage makeover...great idea).....Maybe once you learn all the How to's and what "not to do's", you could share it with us :lol: ........After completing many do it yourself home projects, I agree also : always screws, and not nails....post up your progress, it will be fun to follow the stregarage.

Put a stainless steel top on it. Build yourself a tray (stainless steel) 4 to 6 inches wide, 4 to 6 inches deep and long enough for fork springs to lay in.

Mount it to the front edge of your workbench and make it detachable. Now you have a place for your oily parts that is easily accessible.

Put a stainless steel top on it. Build yourself a tray (stainless steel) 4 to 6 inches wide, 4 to 6 inches deep and long enough for fork springs to lay in.

Mount it to the front edge of your workbench and make it detachable. Now you have a place for your oily parts that is easily accessible.

I don't know about a SS top for heavy pounding, but I dig the idea for a detachable tray for the oily parts. Now I'm going to start planning on that.

I bought a good set of cabinets from Costco online and mixed and matched my own. 3 base cabinets with nice large drawer and two swing open doors, big thick plywood top with door skin top. It cleans easy and has good shock for hammering, the top is only about 3/8 and can easy be swapped out when worn out. It still on after 4 years. Swing by if you want to see, I also have wall cabinets to match.

steel tops are awesome but hard to build if you dont have a break available and specialt y metal working tools. i hate diamond plate tops, they are uncomfortable to lean elbows on.

i used 4x4 leg post, with 2x6 studs wrapping the top anchored to the 4x4 posts with 3/8 x4" lag bolts with washers, 2 at each corner.

i built the top on the ground, like a floor of a shed, 2x6 frame, with joist every 16" and sheet the top with plywood, at least 3/4" or 1 1/8" decking plywood.

then flip it over and install the post legs.

wrap a second row of 2x6 for shelf and to stiffen the legs.

if you make the bench 2'x8' you can get away with 1 sheet of plywood.

by using a 4x4 leg post and 2x6 wrap frame you have a 5"x5" solid wood corners to mount a vise, drill press etc..

This looks about right.......................... :blink:

post-13394-1275682986.jpg

post-13394-1275683000.jpg

Thanks for all the tips, doing lots of research, as I wanna do this right the first time.

I think I need adjustable legs, as the floor isn't perfectly level, so something I can adjust will be crucial to level it.

Thanks for all the tips, doing lots of research, as I wanna do this right the first time.

I think I need adjustable legs, as the floor isn't perfectly level, so something I can adjust will be crucial to level it.

That's why I recommend mounting it directly to the wall. Much easier to level it that way, and it will be sturdier also. I have a small wire feed I might be willing to loan you if you want to go the steel route.

That's why I recommend mounting it directly to the wall. Much easier to level it that way, and it will be sturdier also. I have a small wire feed I might be willing to loan you if you want to go the steel route.

Well I can't imagine I'd live here forever, and if I mount it to the wall with steel, wouldn't it be difficult to move to a new house at some point? That was my only concern about the steel avenue.